Rear Brakes shoes keeping tightening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there guys,

I am have some issues with my cruisers rear brakes. I have adjusted the adjuster rods to allow me to free wheel spin the wheels about 2 full revolutions. Sweet as!

I then go cruising. Now the mechanism in the drum works in such a way that each time the handbrake is engaged a plate ratchets the adjuster rod. So essentially each time the handbrake is engaged the adjuster rods tighten and that tightens the brake shoes.

After a while the brake shoes become so tight that I can smell brake shoes being fried!
When I lift her off the ground I can barely rotate the wheels.

This seems like a real sh1tty mechanism that keep tightening the shoes until they essentially burn out. I have even had the pin kit and springs come loose and disintegrate in the drum.

Any help will be appreciated.

I think the plate that spins the star wheel tightener is not supposed to engage if the brakes are tight enough: it should be self regulating. Could the plate be installed backwards such that the leading edge engages every time instead of gliding over the star when things are right?

I have heard of that mechanism not doing its job but this is the first time I have heard it works too well.

Well mine works like a bomb!
See attached photo. I just have to move the brake level half a ball hair and the ratchet engages!

20180317_171947.jpg

Exactly which model is it? The system works fine normally. Assembled incorrectly or some parts are missing is my guess.

I have the same problem. Can't work it out. At the moment the adjuster is super glued to stop it other wise the wheel will lock up. I am about to replace everything within the brake hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom