Replacing Single (spare) tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 4 AT tires (Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs) with 20k miles on them. I need to get a 5th for my trail spare.

Would it be a bad idea to rotate this new tire through? I have one tire with a piece of metal in the tread which I am gonna pull out and have patched if needed, was planning to dedicate that as the spare.

Will i mess up any other components, sensors, etc by running only 1 new tire? Should I get a pair?

If the overall diameter of the wheel spare is different to your current tires, then I wouldn't run it. As the tires a worn, it gets smaller in diameter. Being a 4WD vehicle, all four wheels should have the same diameter, getting a pair is not going to help this situation.

Your not going to hurt anything by running one new one. I have lots numerous tires over the year due to road hazard and I have never replaced an entire set of tires because I had to put one new one on the truck.

More important than miles is tread depth. What are your current four at, what is a new one? Not sure how you feel about used tires, but I'm guessing with a little bit of searching, you'd find a used duratrac with similar tread depth, preferably from a mud member of course.

buy a good used tire and use as the spare, do not rotate it through

Thanks for the responses, I am actively looking for a matching used tire.

I have also thought of just getting any old used AT for the spare.

The question is then what to do if I blow a sidewall or otherwise have a tire be non-repairable? Just cut my losses and get 4 new ones?

Thanks for the responses, I am actively looking for a matching used tire.

I have also thought of just getting any old used AT for the spare.

The question is then what to do if I blow a sidewall or otherwise have a tire be non-repairable? Just cut my losses and get 4 new ones?

You can buy one matching tire and shave it to a specific depth. Click here Find. Deliver. Install. Tire rack provides this service.

Don't rotate your spare, use whatever you want for your spare, odds are in your favor you'll never need it.

If your tire is repairable then put it back where it was and go. If not repairable you can't even use it as a spare because it's no good.
You'll be fine buying a single new tire as long as you are within X% of tread depth with the other three tires, the tire shop will know this percentage.

I never rotate my tires, ever. Never have. Never will. Waste of time. Waste of money if you're paying to have it done. Also a waste of money if someone else is doing it for free because my time is valuable.

Check your tire PSI once a month, keep tie rods and ball joints in good working order, make sure your alignment is good and have it checked every couple of years and your tires will weather check and leak before they wear out.

Save your time. Save your money. Do not rotate your tires. Especially not the spare because then you're buying 5 tires instead of 4.

I've got a set of Duratracs on mine and faithfully rotate the spare. You will get more life out of the tires and if one does go you won't be stuck with a tire that is way bigger than the others. FWIW I found my 5th on the web and it was a perfect match, so just keep your eyes open.

Reactions: elk
When you get a new set of tires, save one or two of the best ones from the old set and use those for spares

More important than miles is tread depth. What are your current four at, what is a new one? Not sure how you feel about used tires, but I'm guessing with a little bit of searching, you'd find a used duratrac with similar tread depth, preferably from a mud member of course.

New is 16/32, I'm around 12/32. Is there a magic calculator by manufacturer or something?

I've got a set of Duratracs on mine and faithfully rotate the spare. You will get more life out of the tires and if one does go you won't be stuck with a tire that is way bigger than the others. FWIW I found my 5th on the web and it was a perfect match, so just keep your eyes open.

I'm not in a particular hurry so this option is sounding better and better. I'm curious, do you like the Duratracs? Do any crazy off roading with them? I've heard the sidewalls aren't great but otherwise they get stellar reviews from what I 'm reading.

New is 16/32, I'm around 12/32. Is there a magic calculator by manufacturer or something?

I'm not in a particular hurry so this option is sounding better and better. I'm curious, do you like the Duratracs? Do any crazy off roading with them? I've heard the sidewalls aren't great but otherwise they get stellar reviews from what I 'm reading.
I've had them at couple different off road parks and they have always been great. Mine have a pretty stiff sidewall so I've never worried about that and they do pretty good in the snow too.

I think the rule of thumb is that it has to be within 2/32 difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom