LX570 - rear aerodynamics mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm noticing that the stock rear setup results in the pulling in dust, dirt, rain onto the back window instead of away from it. Even with RainX, I'm getting a lot of build up on the rear window and it gets extra wet when I actually expected it to be relatively dry. Even my cars with sloped rear windows hardly get wet when I'm driving at highway speeds.

Is there a cheap, easy mod to improve the rear aerodynamics that will help keep the rear window cleaner and dryer? The rear wiper seems woefully inadequate as well, especially when dirty.

Our '01 LX has good aerodynamics on the rear spoiler...the wing itself is supported on both ends with a wide opening that tilts down toward the window. FAR easier to keep clean than the 200...with no slot in the spoiler, aero's create something called the Kamm Effect...same reason you'll see semi trailers with a cone-shaped fairing on the back end.

Dirty rears are typical of an SUV. Not much you can do about it. Yes, some older generation SUV's had openings under the spoiler that kept the rear end cleaner, but I believe at a cost to aero Cd efficiency.

My wife's RAV4EV has an EV specific spoiler on her otherwise stock bodied RAV4. It's noted as giving the EV version of the RAV4 much better aero efficiency. The LX spoiler is similar to it but not as long.

I'm noticing that the stock rear setup results in the pulling in dust, dirt, rain onto the back window instead of away from it. Even with RainX, I'm getting a lot of build up on the rear window and it gets extra wet when I actually expected it to be relatively dry. Even my cars with sloped rear windows hardly get wet when I'm driving at highway speeds.

Is there a cheap, easy mod to improve the rear aerodynamics that will help keep the rear window cleaner and dryer? The rear wiper seems woefully inadequate as well, especially when dirty.
The rear spoiler actually is there for aerodynamic improvement, by not letting the wind "stick" to the back as much. Same thing that you see hanging on the back of tractor trailers, that are angled slightly inward.

But because the wind is designed to slide down, instead of right off the back causing more drag, is adds to the back getting dirtier than even a 100 series that didn't have nearly as much aerodynamic work done to it.

So... you could remove the rear spoiler, that will help.

71LMhm9auML._SL1500_.jpg

At the gas pump

After I damaged my rear spoiler/dirt concentrator backing out of the garage, I almost went and found a wing deflector like on my 80 series because it worked to keep the dust and road gunk off the back window. Would have been a lot of work without the the right tools that I don't have any more. The rear wiper just collects dirt on top of the blade so its a great window scratcher so I try not to use it unless I have just cleaned it off, but then I just cleaned the window.....

Thanks all.

Ok, since I don't know what happens if I remove the spoiler (what it looks like, bolt holes if any, window seal leakage, whatever), I'll just keep as-is. A little disappointing that Toyota couldn't figure out how to improve aero and not have it be a dirt grabber at the same time.

Depending on the weather and road conditions, sometimes it's hard to see out the rear. And the rear wiper doesn't seem to help a whole lot. Even with RainX (which is surprising). Oh well...

Thanks all.

Ok, since I don't know what happens if I remove the spoiler (what it looks like, bolt holes if any, window seal leakage, whatever), I'll just keep as-is. A little disappointing that Toyota couldn't figure out how to improve aero and not have it be a dirt grabber at the same time.

Depending on the weather and road conditions, sometimes it's hard to see out the rear. And the rear wiper doesn't seem to help a whole lot. Even with RainX (which is surprising). Oh well...
Well, there's always a way. I rain-x my rear window and the rear whipper works wonderfully. I do have a roof rack with camping gear on it, so I'm sure I cancel out anything the rear spoiler provides.

Is the rear whipper streaking? I know I put 2 coats of rain-x on when I do it to ensure full coverage. Just throwing out ideas, I don't like hearing people unhappy and felling there is nothing they can do about it.

Actually, maybe a roof rack with some front air dams will both have utility benefits as well as change the aero dynamics in the rear that result in a less dirty window. Good suggestion. I was thinking about a roof rack to tie down some occasional cargo anyway (just not sure what to buy yet). I'll start looking at some cargo racks.

I removed my rear spoiler (2013 200) because otherwise I could not carry a canoe on top. It doesn’t look especially good with it gone, but I actually don’t notice or care. It makes the rig even plainer so it doesn’t attract attention. “Oh, it’s just another plain white SUV of some kind...”

The rear glass does stay a little cleaner on dirt roads, but not enough to remove it, just for that.

I am always very careful about not running the rear wiper dry, at low speeds. I wait until I am off slow forest roads and back up to speed before I give it a single wipe to flick off the dust. The air suction whisks it away instantly instead of smearing it across the glass...

John Davies
Spokane WA

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. Ok, confirmed that I won't be removing it for this. But may reconsider when I get kayaks.

Still looking for cargo racks - wow, they are much more expensive than anticipated.

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. Ok, confirmed that I won't be removing it for this. But may reconsider when I get kayaks.

Still looking for cargo racks - wow, they are much more expensive than anticipated.
You don’t need to remove the spoiler for kayaks, they can easily be carried on their sides. A canoe does not give you that option: the gunwale hits the spoiler hard and severely limits access when opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom