Rust Starting on Tailgate - Treatment Options? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was cleaning the truck today and noticed a couple brown spots on the bottom of the tailgate... looks like a break in the paint and rust starting. What steps should I take to treat to keep it from expanding?

2017-10-21%2014.55.09.jpg

Can you take a better picture, I can't work out where that is. All I will add is that it normally rusts from the inside out, your are better off masking it up and doing a repair now than letting it sit, even if your paint skills are not that good, bad paint is better than rust. There is no point in me mentioning products that I use as they probably are not available in the US. But take all trims off to expose the inside for inspection and make sure there are no unnecessary water leaks.

That's the strange thing. I've had the taillights out and it is as dry as a bone in there and no sign of intrusion... Picture is the bottom edge of the tailgate... bottom thing is the bumper.

Remember you don't need a leak to introduce water, condensation builds on the inside of panels, especially if the membranes are damaged. If the paint has broken down and rust starts then it needs to be treated. Condensation will evaporate but it does creep to the seams. If there are drains then make sure these are all clear.

Well I figured out the cause - the bumper cover has little tabs that go into the metal inner bumper that hold the lip down so there is no interference when the tailgate lowers. Well apparently mine aren't in the slots at all so the bottom of the tailgate was just rubbing on the bumper cover, removing the paint. So first off I need to drop the hitch, pull the cover, then reseat it. I'll probably have to remove the tailgate to paint because of the location - its not going to be easy to paint with it installed.

Admittedly, the idea of re-hanging that gate and getting the gaps right makes me a bit concerned...

I can't really work out where it is in relation to the bumper. It is simple to remove the bumper and the step reinforcement panel, this does leave a fair bit of room to do a repair with the tailgate in place, if I am in the right place.

Yes possibly - I may try and do that. Thanks for the tip!

-Phil

What did you end up doing, @AppleTech?

I have some rust on the bottom of my tailgate. It feels really solid when you tap on it, just seems like rust bubbles on the surface. Nothing is flaking off, there are no holes. I was going to try sanding it down and painting over it.

Should I open it up and check the inside instead?

Last edited:
I haven't done anything yet. In fact this is a good reminder that I need to order the touchup paint. I was going to try and pull the tailgate off because it looks like I'm going to have to anyways to fix the bumper cover that is riding up against the tailgate.

I am terrified I won't be able to get it back on correctly though...

It really doesn't matter where the corrosion is. All treatment is the same. You have to strip the paint, grind, sand buff out, whatever, remove all the corrosion. Then you need to reseal the metal, I use either Ospho for steel, or Alodine for aluminum. If your doing the frame or any part that wont be seen, I would recommend Pore 15 on steel. Then Prime and paint. If your corrosion removal leaves a divot, then use either sandable primer, or some type of like Bondo product. I hate Bondo, but sometimes it has to be done.

It really doesn't matter where the corrosion is. All treatment is the same. You have to strip the paint, grind, sand buff out, whatever, remove all the corrosion. Then you need to reseal the metal, I use either Ospho for steel, or Alodine for aluminum. If your doing the frame or any part that wont be seen, I would recommend Pore 15 on steel. Then Prime and paint. If your corrosion removal leaves a divot, then use either sandable primer, or some type of like Bondo product. I hate Bondo, but sometimes it has to be done.

I think I’m going to take it to a local guy that does all my body work. I want this done right, and it sounds like a job beyond my current skill level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom