80 owner helping my daughter look for a 100... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, long time member, but rarely post. I'm a long time owner of a 97 with 310K on the clock...and still running strong of course. I purchased in 2003 with 105K at the time...what a vehicle Mr. Toyota built. I taught my son to drive in this vehicle and it was his daily driver throughout high school. I did the same with my daughter three years later and it too became her daily driver throughout high school. Being a kid myself many years ago, I remember some of the poor decisions I made...for that reason, I wanted them in a reliable and safe vehicle. They are both grown and have been out of the house for several years, but "Hank" (as my daughter affectionately calls the 80) remains part of the family...I honestly don't see myself ever parting with this beloved vehicle.

My daughter is now married and her first child is on the way. She, being a TLC lover (and wanting a big, safe vehicle for her baby) asked me to look at a 100 she and my son-in-law found for sale online. It's a 2001 with 159K and we are going to look at it tomorrow. Could you folks provide some basic info on that year and let me know if there is anything specific I should look for? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it. Paul

I drove my daugther to kindergarten in our 2000 LX. She now drives it to her sophomore college classes. :)

If its in Maryland look for the obvious rust content. Look for a yellowish radiator which means it ready to be replaced and day now. Same with the Heater T's right behind engine next to firewall. Research last timing belt service either by sticker under hood somewhere, asking owner or looking at Lexus.com records. Check for VSC and check engine lights on dash. If so, look for power steering fluid leaking from rack and pinion. This could indicate a steering issue that you would need to repair immediately or it will scare your daughter to death when it starts violently braking. Just sayin.

Not much goes wrong with the best vehicle on dirt.

Hey all, long time member, but rarely post. I'm a long time owner of a 97 with 310K on the clock...and still running strong of course. I purchased in 2003 with 105K at the time...what a vehicle Mr. Toyota built. I taught my son to drive in this vehicle and it was his daily driver throughout high school. I did the same with my daughter three years later and it too became her daily driver throughout high school. Being a kid myself many years ago, I remember some of the poor decisions I made...for that reason, I wanted them in a reliable and safe vehicle. They are both grown and have been out of the house for several years, but "Hank" (as my daughter affectionately calls the 80) remains part of the family...I honestly don't see myself ever parting with this beloved vehicle.

My daughter is now married and her first child is on the way. She, being a TLC lover (and wanting a big, safe vehicle for her baby) asked me to look at a 100 she and my son-in-law found for sale online. It's a 2001 with 159K and we are going to look at it tomorrow. Could you folks provide some basic info on that year and let me know if there is anything specific I should look for? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it. Paul

Here you go OP

Slee Off-Road 100 Series Newbie Guide

Thanks for the info BullElk. I'll be researching your pointers on the forum tonight...most notably, the VSC/leaking ps fluid issue.

Thanks Alex...will review your link as well.

You should buy your daughter a 1997 Toyota corolla or sienna, with as few horsepower as possible...a 100 series is wasted. Your grand-kid needs a minivan with $2k kids-seat...not an all-terrain vehicle.

Hahaha CRC...you must be this forum's self proclaimed personal advisor...

I don't recall exactly which years, but I think there was a weak front diff in the 2000-2002 LC's? If she's never going to off road it, then it doesn't really matter. The 2003+ got a lot of nice improvements with a 5sp tranny and updated interior (which of course is all dated now lol).

The 100 is a great choice for your daughter and grand child. If you think the 80 is a tank, the 100 is even more so. I will be teaching my son and 2 daughters to drive in mine in the next few years and let them use it through high school like you did. I will buy another 100 or 200 for myself.

I believe the ‘98-99 has the weaker front diff. Upgraded in 2000.

Thanks gents, much appreciated.

Just got back from looking at the vehicle. That thing is indeed a tank. Interior and inner workings in very good condition. The guy is second owner (purchased in 2004), never had kids and it's mainly been his wife's vehicle. They towed a small boat for a few years, but no off-roading. He's not a gear head, but said he had regular maintenance done. Engine ran like a top and no engine related leaks evident under the hood. Told us about a minor fender-bender and showed where the work was done...no other evidence of overspray.

Areas of concern (I have some pics, but don't know how to post them):
Fluid low in PS reservoir - didn't have tools to pull the plate off the bottom of the frame, so I couldn't see the entire steering rack very will, but did see a little evidence of a leak from somewhere....a wet bolt head here and there, but fluid was not saturating everything.

Considerable amount of grease and road grime accumulating on both driver and passenger half shafts near the CV boots.

Loud/pronounced clunk in the driveline during road test...first noticed it when depressing the throttle after coasting. Pulled into a parking lot and had my son-in-law shift between drive and reverse with foot on brake while I inspected the driveline....was thinking bad u-joint, but all were fine. It was the center differential clunking and it was very loud. We then put it in LOW and drove around the lot...no clunk. Put back in high...loud clunk returned. I'm most concerned about this...my 97 with 310K is nowhere near this loud.

Any input on my findings is greatly appreciated.

Here's a pic of one of the half shafts...

CV Boot.jpg

That grime looks like the grease inside the boot is coming out due to crack in boot or fastening ring is broken....which will, if hasn't already, prematurely wear axle. Not sure about the loud clunk.

frame looks rusty. I would also avoid these trucks with factory NAV.

I’m goimg to be in the same boat some day. Two daughters both learning to drive and appreciate LCs.

An SUV isn’t overkill when the vehicle next to you is an 18 wheeler driven by a Mexican truck driver with questionable road skills, it’s survival.

I am bold, unlesss it has a lot of rust on the frame, I assume that I will need the upgrade the suspension and steering rack but generally it’s just the engine that worry about most. So long as the engine is good, everyth8ng else is small.

The engine in a 100 series is the least of your worries. Based on many many owners experiences over many many moons.

Thanks Taco. I didn't think the frame was too bad - I think the pic makes it look worse than reality. Why would you avoid the factory NAV?

Thanks El Cid. Your comment about an SUV not being overkill is exactly why my daughter is looking for a Cruiser. Also agree on the suspension upgrade...could tell this one was a bit tired. The steering rack and the clunk were our two big concerns. I just reviewed the steering rack replacement thread and while it's a lengthy process, it's nothing we can't handle. Haven't looked at the cost for a genuine rack, but will do before we make an offer. The owner is asking $8500, btw.

Alex1118 posted that link earlier in this thread, but thanks NorCal

early nav units just plain suck. you can swap a traditional stereo with a modern double din unit. can't w nav.

The Nav isn't really an issue, other than being visually dated compared to newer models. As others have said, it controls the climate features and for all intents can never be updated with a decent aftermarket unit. Chinese replacements exist, but have been found to be questionable.

There is a concern about the screen burning out eventually. Should it go, there are repair shops that can do it, or there is the pin 60 repair method.

I have a 2006 nav equipped model, also in MD. I wouldn't let the navigation system scare you off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom