Builds Rebirth of Squatch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much horizontal offset are you running?

Hmm, that's good to hear. I will be running an FJ80 rear in my 40 with a stock tcase. My offset should be less than 2 inches.

After doing a bit of research, ended up ordering a pair of Bilstein 7100s for the rear. I ordered them in the 14" 275/78 flavor. Due to the length I also built a new shock tower.

37452070721_cfc33d0273_h.jpg

37452072041_2288af5604_h.jpg

37452073811_e2e5d362ac_h.jpg

37452069741_ec15dcbadf_h.jpg

37452075611_b56b026e50_h.jpg

Even with the new tower the shocks are a bit too long. I plan on ordering a set of 12" 7100s and moving the 14s to the front.

Well tomorrow is the big day, the dreaded appointment with the CA BAR Referee. I have been driving the cruiser for the last few days to and from work and everything has been great. Drive decently but does need new front shocks and had a few leaks. One was from a bad trans pan gasket, which I replaced with a lube locker gasket. The other was the rear hub seals were bad, so i replaced everything last weekend and repacked the bearings.

So far all of the emission monitors have set except for the evap monitor, which from my understanding on 2000 and newer vehicles is not required to be set. Through this process I have had zero check engine lights or pending codes, so I am pretty confident all systems are working properly. However, who knows what the referee is going to knit pick on.

Well things didn't go well.

Was nailed on a couple of things:
1: Evap Monitor was not set, I guess for motor swaps this need to be complete. Also had 2 pending codes but none of my scanners can read them. He would not tell me what the codes are.

2: I was told I am not allowed to modify the exhaust at all, from the exhaust manifold flanges till the rear 02 sensors. I asked him about this due to the frame being in the way and I was told that I would have to cut my frame as that is how BAR wants it? This cant be right I as I was under the impression that as long as the Cats were in a few inches of their original location it was ok.

3: Said I modified the ECM as I had VATs removed and this is not allowed. He told me I have to install the entire body module from the donor vehicle and the ECM can not be flashed in any manner. No idea on this one. Said I needed to supply documentation from the dealer showing the vehicle has the correct ecu/flash?

4: Said the motor needed air injection. The ECM and harness that came with the motor did not have air injection so I am confused on this one. His scan showed a 2001 5.3, so are there any configurations out there without air injection? I had a buddy pull the vin on the way home 1GCEK19T41E122562. Does anyone have a way to verify the emissions requirements for me?

Only good news is it passed on the dyno and all measured emissions were low. What I dont get is why cant I get a pass when the new motor runs cleaner than any old tired 2F out there?

37538946930_d8cd857a25_h.jpg

37126999543_2f8ccab526_h.jpg

At this point I am lost and defeated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure where to go from here.

@orangefj45 do you have any insight on where to go on the exhaust issue?

Thanks

Ok,

So I emailed Brendan at LT1Swap.com , who did my ecm programming about if he removed the air injection.

Here is what he said:
"AIR injection was only on CA emission equipped gm trucks. Federal emission trucks never had AIR injection. 2002 did away with EGR on all 5.3l engines. My notes say it was with EGR, so 2001 would be correct. The calibration in your PCM did not have AIR injection. EGR YES"

So my next question is, if the motor was a federal motor then in order to swap it into a CA compliant vehicle does it need the air injection?

Thanks

Yeah, seams bs that he wouldn't tell u the codes. Hard to fix the problem without him telling u. I would go elsewhere

The ref in Modesto at the JC is a good guy. I've ne we had an issue getting a vortec to pass there.

I'd say figure out what codes are stored in the computer. Go from there.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Decided to bite the bullet and install the secondary air injection. Is there anyone local to Sacramento, that has Hptuners or Efi Live that is willing to help me out? I need the air injection system enabled in my ecm.

Made some progress today regarding the requests of the Referee and figured I would share here for future builds. One of his requests was a copy of the Calibration Verification Number for the ECM. Through searching I managed to find a link to the following website which will provide current CVNs based on Vin#

TIS

Only issue now is I need to get a copy of my stock tune which I dont have, so my only option may be to go to the dealer to have them reflash my computer.

Whats the chance that there are any GM dealer techs on here that are willing to help?

Figured I would provide an update on where things sit.

I talked with Brendan at LT1swap.com who originally flashed my computer for me and is going to flash the computer back to stock so the CVNs match and I can have a copy of my stock tune just in case.

I have been spending time on ALLDATA and think I have figured a way to run a stripped down BCM. This will allow the BCM to send the correct signal to the PCM allowing the computer to run so I dont have to tune the VATs out of the computer. As this would result in the CVN changing for that module.

Also picked up a complete y-pipe from another 1500 with the cats. Not 100% sure it is going to fit but we will give it hell. As soon as I have some update pics I will post up.

Glad to hear you are still at it. I woul lose motivation for months over something like this. What a total pain...

Appreciate the encouragement but I have considered a contingency plan. If I can not make the new y-pipe work to the referee's liking, I will be selling the cruiser to someone out of state.

At this point I feel it is my only option to own a rig capable of what I want. I sold my first gen pickup since it was no longer street legal or family friendly. I want something V8 powered with modern fuel injection that will comfortably seat my family of 4. I will most likely go back to the dark side and pick a pre-73 Jeep wagoneer as this was my other consideration before buying the 60. I will hate to see the 60 go but it is what it is. If I am lucky I may break even.

Offers? If there is a good one I will quit going down this rabbit hole. I will even through some armor on it, build a front drive shaft, and tune to the computer how ever you want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom