looking at a 200 with 80k miles, alignment worries (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking at an 82k mile 2013....
on the test drive it was pulling right, obviously needs an alignment. nothing crazy, but noticable.

so i ran the VIN on my toyota and the dealership did a 4 wheel align at 60k and again at 70k.

Should i just pass? The high mileage puts it where the family can afford it but not interested in throwing a lot of money into it.

On a good note the cam towers show no signs of leaking.

Thanks...

(currently hanging out on the 60 series forum, but want to join this club as well :D )

If the dealer had two tries at fixing the alignment, and what you drove is the best they can do to fix it, and if that isn't good enough for you ... then I'd give it a pass.

HTH

I had mine into the dealer for an alignment and a few other things before a road trip this summer. They gave it back, as close to factory spec as they could get it. The reason was a frozen lower control arm cam bolt, this is a known issue. Not wanting to live with "close" I had the cam bolt and bushing replaced and all is well.

It might just be something simple, have another shop look at it if possible. FWIW 82k miles is not high mileage in any way, at least not on an LC.

It could be a number of issues. If it's at a dealer I'd ask them to put it on an alignment machine and print out the current specs (and align it if it's off) before pulling the trigger. I'm assuming there's no lift and the tires and wheels are stock size. It could be a bad alignment, it could be a sticking brake caliper, it could be a bent or damaged suspension component, or it could be a bent frame if they had an accident that didn't get recorded...

well it's at the porsche dealer, so I doubt they know much about LCs :D Agree 82k isn't much for a landcruiser

Two words: Independent Mechanic

;)

How and where was it driven? After Moab I had an alignment done, mostly as a precaution as I noticed a slight pull on the freeway. I bought my 14 with less than 50K miles on it a year and a half ago. It has just about 70K miles on it now. Its the second alignment I've had done.

FWIW, you can't perform a four wheel alignment on a land cruiser. I get this note on mine when I take it to the dealer and when I question the service advisors, they scratch their heads and hem and haw, and then admit it's just a pro forma line item, because most cars can be aligned this way.

Going to let the wife drive it tonight and we will decide. Interested to see what they come back with on the alignment. Will be a big upgrade from her suburban.

I'd take a look at the tires. If the alignments didn't solve or convey a problem then the tires are suspect as well.

This ^^^.

Try swapping tires left-right and see if the pull changes. I had a Tacoma that pulled strongly from a tire with internal damage. A new set of Michelin fixed it completely. I also like the idea from @linuxgod to get a printout. Not all alignment techs are created equal, so to speak, and some may need that third try to get it right.

I will be budgeting for some bfg ATs unless it has brand spankin new tires, great points. Thanks for the advice @all.

look at the current tires and how they're wearing - 10k in between alignments should show if there is an issue.'
Planned mods ? if major then I'd be less worried as you'd likely replace many of the possible issues....

gut check after driving it will probably tell alot. Mine had a slight pull at purchase - dealer admitted they hadn't gotten it thru the shop fully when I called to test drive it and while they had new tires on it wasn't aligned... it was about 30 degrees off.

E

thanks, ended up not doing it... we keep vehicles a long time so got a 2016 with 28k.

i guess i am in the club now. well... technically my wife is. I don't get the vehicle until it clocks 200k :D

Congrats

We only have one vehicle so the LC is my wife's DD. She's been surprisingly amenable to the mods, and I get to drive it on the weekends, so win-win.

Hey,
thanks, ended up not doing it... we keep vehicles a long time so got a 2016 with 28k.

i guess i am in the club now. well... technically my wife is. I don't get the vehicle until it clocks 200k :D

Hey, only 172K to go and it will be yours! It will be just time to change the break-in oil when you get it. :bounce:

I hope your wife posts up all the adventures she has with it. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom