Bluetooth audio 2001 LC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I'm back in the LC world after a rusty 60's series experience (I learned my lesson about painted over rust on the frame - no car fax back in those days). We're flying out soon to pick up a 2001 LC and driving it back to the East Coast. The question is - how do I get bluetooth (or wired if that's the only option - btw it's one of those new fangled iPhone 7's) into my land cruiser. I believe this cruiser has the 6 disc changer. It has the nav and the tape deck in the dash. I don't want to get into replacing the entire head unit, just adding bluetooth.
Thanks - appreciate it!

IMG_9778.JPG

That's a sweet little piece of kit there,

Might get one for the wife's car,

The more I get to know and come to love my 2000 LC, I can see why people chose certain year models.

They are all great regardless,

I have the disk changer in the dash so I have an unused plug in the back, I purchased the GROM unit to add an aux in 3.5mm jack. Works great for my needs. They have other higher end units with Bluetooth and such.

But I believe you'll have to give up the changer though,

I'm slowly looking a a DD myself, haven't a clue what models are better or worse and if they all come with back up cameras and such.

Then again there is car play or whatever and some units can mirror certain phones.

Thanks for the input. I am a little concerned about audio quality with an fm transmitter but if it sounds good then that's the easiest way to go for sure. Any idea if the Crux BTS-TY1 will work with the CD changer in the glove box? Looks like you had the changer in the dash. I'm assuming both have the same type of input in back of the head unit.

I'm in the same boat as I recently acquired a 2001 with the same setup (NAV, 6 disc changer). Despite having the HVAC controls as part of the GPS screen, there are still some decent options. The Grom VLine will work for this year (website says 2003+) but I am using one now and it works. It's great for Bluetooth, but doesn't give you a handsfree phone. Carplay works, but the echo the caller will hear makes it essentially useless. If they can fix the software to provide noise cancellation then it would be a nice solution (even though the phone must be tethered). But at $500, I'm of the opinion it should be more stable and offer a handsfree calling solution. The other options are to add and aux input by either emulation through the CD changer or cutting into the tape deck heads, which would be pretty much a DIY job. The last option I am aware of, and currently leaning mostly towards, is the "68 ohm resistor mod" (search for this). This allows for an aftermarket head unit where the tape deck currently resides. Good luck!

That's a sweet little piece of kit there,

Might get one for the wife's car,

The more I get to know and come to love my 2000 LC, I can see why people chose certain year models.

They are all great regardless,

I have the disk changer in the dash so I have an unused plug in the back, I purchased the GROM unit to add an aux in 3.5mm jack. Works great for my needs. They have other higher end units with Bluetooth and such.

But I believe you'll have to give up the changer though,

I'm slowly looking a a DD myself, haven't a clue what models are better or worse and if they all come with back up cameras and such.

Then again there is car play or whatever and some units can mirror certain phones.

Greenbean: I also have a 2000-can you share what GROM unit you are referring to? Thanks

None of these things will work with the Nakimichi unit in my LX. Except for the cig adapter. My tape deck clicks like a metronome when i use the tape adapter.

Dfinn - when you say "tape adapter" are you talking about a cassette with an aux out cable that goes into the tape deck? Or - is there an aux input somewhere on the back of the unit that you can plug into? I would think that the fm transmitter would sound better than the cassette but I'm open to options.

Ultimately I'd like to replace the tape deck with a different head unit but I'm flying out West to pick up the car and drive back. I won't have much time (or tools) to get into it that deep. I would like to listen to music/podcasts on my long drive East so I definitely need something.

The BT45-TOY looks like it will work (even though Crutchfield says it won't). The BTS-TY1 I believe is for the non-nav rigs.

I was referring to a cassette with aux cable. I'm pretty sure that will sound better than having a little adapter that re-broadcasts the signal over a (hopefully) unused FM frequency but I could be wrong. I'm not an audiophile or anything but mine sounds pretty good.

We are pleased as punch with the bluetooth FM adapter set to 88.7 (in our area). We plug it in the center console cigarette lighter. If my 17 year old can blast his rap crap and be happy, I am happy. No wires, no cassette tick noise.

Just got off the phone with Crutchfield. According to them the BTS-TY1 is the one for my LC. Ordered. I'll report back with the install. Thanks guys.

Sorry about the delay. After some time with a Crutchfield advisor and my "new" LC dash taken apart in a parking lot in Boulder it turns out the BTS-TY1 will not work unless you have the CD in the dash. I'm still on the hunt for a solution. I've been using an FM transmitter which works okay for music but for podcasts and anything you have to turn up the volume you can hear a clicking sound in the background that is not super great. Anyone else figure out a solution? Wired (new iPhone), or bluetooth - I don't really care at this point.

I was referring to a cassette with aux cable. I'm pretty sure that will sound better than having a little adapter that re-broadcasts the signal over a (hopefully) unused FM frequency but I could be wrong. I'm not an audiophile or anything but mine sounds pretty good.
My cassette/aux saounds 10x better than two of the FM transmitters I purchased. But I live near Denver too. And there's a radio station broadcast on every channel, and they seem to over power the FM transmitters.

Now looking at this one: USA Spec BT45-TOY. Still in the hunt! I don't want to replace the head unit and my bluetooth transmitter sounds terrible! Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom