I need advice on purchase - 91 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went and looked at this cruiser this afternoon: Toyota Land Cruiser 1991 As the ad states the owner is asking for $2700 with about 230,000 miles, seemed too good to be true and I was right. Let me say I'm no mechanic but I enjoy wrenching and some work doesn't make me squeamish but here are my primary concerns (pics attached). There seems to be a leak in the front driver's side axle, local shop quoted me $1k, not a huge issue but owner claims per his mechanic that the leak isn't a big deal. There's an active leak near the front pulley (alternator?). Not sure if this is front main seal, is this a common issue for these engines? And while test driving a few times the trans 'thunked' while upshifting. (not sure about level of trans-fluid, turns out I didn't check fluid level right as engine wasn't running when it was checked).

I'm just concerned that the trans may be reaching the end of it's life which is the primary concern of this vehicle... thoughts?

Photo May 25, 3 23 36 PM.jpg

Photo May 25, 3 23 08 PM.jpg

Photo May 25, 3 22 51 PM.jpg

Front axle needs to be rebuilt with new seals and bearings (just about everyone had done this at least once): less than $110 and a day (or two) of your time). Can be done at home with your tools.
I'd bet on the crank seal. PITA but no more expensive; can be done at home. You'll need a 3/4" drive socket, a long cheater bar and a torque wrench (you can rent all three) for the crank pulley nut.
Transmissions on this year are solid, they're bus transmissions.

This truck is nowhere near the end of its useful life. At that price, if there wasn't a significant amount of rust, and it ran, I'd buy it.

Check the clubhouse section for a group near you and join it. Anyone in there would be a great resource for you.

I was planning on checking this truck out as well but didn't have time. All of those seem solveable, I would try to get it down closer to $2k then go for it. The $700 difference should be sufficient for a decent baseline. My main concern would be rust.

Ditto Malleus' observations.

I'll add it all come down to what you want to do with the truck. It's certainly not near end of life and should be able to be baselined relatively inexpensively if you don't mind wrenching a few weekends here and there as you work through it.

The big question to me is can you live with the faded paint? If not you've either got a lot of work ahead (diy monstaline or similar) or perhaps the largest single expense you'll face in a paintjob. You can do some of the prep work and then drive it to Maaco to keep paint costs down but it's still a deciding factor in my opinion that you need to consider and anticipate in deciding on this truck. I'd budget 4-6k for a paintjob if you plan to let a paint shop do most of the work, don't want a perfect job and don't have a lot of bodywork needed. Costs go way down as you do more of the prep and/or application yourself.

Could care less about the paint, it won't be a daily driver. Some of the other issues that I considered minor enough to easily deal with on my own: engine insulation under hood falling, needs to be secured, driver's side door seal needs to be re-glued, no antenna, no gas filler door, rear hatch doesn't open from outside, possible body damage to rear passenger quarter panel, no rear seat so will need to purchase replacement seat and belts, various junk here and there, no speakers, internal wear/tear, rear tail-light cover broken, small rust spots here and there, brakes soft.

That all seems very manageable and you can probably find the parts, like seats, in your region pretty quickly from what I've seen monitoring the "parting out" classifieds. Seems like a solid platform and in my opinion these trucks are typically going to need a baseline regardless of what you pay so you may as well get one that's less expensive. I'm not as familiar with West coast prices but I'd be tempted to offer $1500 to $1700 in cash and try to get the price at or below $2k. I wouldn't be too surprised if they take $1500 especially if you point out all of the jobs ahead and parts you'll need to buy, etc. etc...

Good luck with it.

That all seems very manageable and you can probably find the parts, like seats, in your region pretty quickly from what I've seen monitoring the "parting out" classifieds. Seems like a solid platform and in my opinion these trucks are typically going to need a baseline regardless of what you pay so you may as well get one that's less expensive. I'm not as familiar with West coast prices but I'd be tempted to offer $1500 to $1700 in cash and try to get the price at or below $2k. I wouldn't be too surprised if they take $1500 especially if you point out all of the jobs ahead and parts you'll need to buy, etc. etc...

Good luck with it.
You guys are so lucky. A truck like that would get snapped up quickly up north.

Looking at the photos, I think the clearcoat is the only exterior problem. x2 @Red Merle; that's a $5000 land cruiser in NC.

Looking at the photos, I think the clearcoat is the only exterior problem. x2 @Red Merle; that's a $5000 land cruiser in NC.
Honestly, if it really isn't too rusty, I might go a little higher than that. I mean, the 3FE is a bit of a downside, but that platform is just rare and desirable enough to build it up. I bet a guy could sand that clearcoat out and respray and it would look pretty good. There just aren't that many cleanish rigs left for under $10K these days. All the little ticky tacky stuff does add up, but a few more grand and that thing is a winner.

Honestly, if it really isn't too rusty, I might go a little higher than that. I mean, the 3FE is a bit of a downside, but that platform is just rare and desirable enough to build it up. I bet a guy could sand that clearcoat out and respray and it would look pretty good. There just aren't that many cleanish rigs left for under $10K these days. All the little ticky tacky stuff does add up, but a few more grand and that thing is a winner.

The 3FE "is a bit of a downside"?! Explain to me how the best engine Mr T ever put in a 80 is a "downside". Take your time..... I realize you might be out changing your head gasket or something.
To OP- the 3FE that 91 has in it is the BEST engine ever put in a 80. Just drink a few beers, piss in the gas tank, and away you go! D-E-P-E-N-D-A-B-L-E!!

The 3FE "is a bit of a downside"?! Explain to me how the best engine Mr T ever put in a 80 is a "downside". Take your time..... I realize you might be out changing your head gasket or something.
To OP- the 3FE that 91 has in it is the BEST engine ever put in a 80. Just drink a few beers, piss in the gas tank, and away you go! D-E-P-E-N-D-A-B-L-E!!
It's a great motor. The downside is that Mr. T is discontinuing parts for it at a rapid rate. I would buy a stockpile of them if I had another one. The 80 is a little heavy for it, but it's a great motor.

I do prefer the 1FZ-FE, even after doing the head gasket and rebuilding the entire top end in hopes of having the truck last another 23 years. Honestly, if this truck would have been a 94 with the same options and price, I might have bought it and stuffed my soild drivetrain and immaculate interior into it for that price. That is less than what I see junk car auction houses selling them for.

It's a great motor. The downside is that Mr. T is discontinuing parts for it at a rapid rate. I would buy a stockpile of them if I had another one. The 80 is a little heavy for it, but it's a great motor.

I do prefer the 1FZ-FE, even after doing the head gasket and rebuilding the entire top end in hopes of having the truck last another 23 years. Honestly, if this truck would have been a 94 with the same options and price, I might have bought it and stuffed my soild drivetrain and immaculate interior into it for that price. That is less than what I see junk car auction houses selling them for.

I agree.... when you find a deal like this you need to jump on it quick! I'd ask if it runs, if yes, can we meet now? I've seen too many people "lose out" while debating.
As far as parts go...... your right, the few parts that you HAVE to have.... I buy when available, and put them away. Just bought a maf for $75.... into the parts cabinet it goes!

Buy it.

The axle/knuckle was addressed already. 25 year old vehicles require maintenance.

The transmissions/driveline on 91-92s clunk a bit. My 92 has had a clunk for 15-20, maybe 25 years. I don't know. Don't remember noticing it when I bought it new but don't remember being alarmed that it started doing it either.

It's not a true "poverty pack" but she's cool as sh!t. She runs and will continue to run.

I don't worry about new parts not being available. I have stockpiled just about 2 of everything for it that is specifically a Toyota only part. If at some point I have to put an aftermarket alternator or something in it, so be it.

I thoroughly enjoy driving my 3FE. It puts a smile on my face.

1993 was the beginning of the Americanization of the Land Cruiser. Making it a luxury vehicle for suburban housewives to haul kids to soccer practice. And for rappers to floss in.

Give me a 91-92 every day of the week and twice on Saturday and Sunday!

<Que the: the semi-float vs full float, drum vs disc brakes folks>

I'll take my tractor motor and bus tranny!

IMG_8717.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom