"Cruiser Gold Rush" 2015: Back To Gold Lake For a Second Year! :NorCal: (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think its about time to get this thread going! Last years inaugural "Cruiser Gold Rush" turned out to be far more successful than @KWalkerM and I anticipated when we first got the ball rolling,... so lets do it again!

As with last years event, this is pretty much just a big camping trip with a bunch of cruiserheads in an awesome place with lots of options for wheeling, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, etc. This trip is stock-vehicle friendly, but there are certainly more difficult trails in the area to play on too. This trip is family friendly, so don't be afraid to bring your kids along.

When:
July 24-26

Trail Runs:
Last year we didn't have any set events or trail runs, but we did have two groups that split off and did easy and hard trails. This year I'd like to get some official runs setup for Saturday. I'd be glad to lead the easy group, and I have a few trails in mind. Someone else would need to organize the hard trail run (aka: Snake Lake). (@Fast Eddy, @Finnyfam60, @KWalkerM ...anyone else interested?)

Gold Lake 4x4 Campground, Plumas County, California.
Colors correspond to map below:
Dot 1:
Start of Gold Lake 4x4 Campground trail
Dot 2: Plan A: Planned campsite, last site on the shore of Gold Lake.
Dot 3: Plan B: Little Gold Lake; follow signs, turn left halfway through the rest of the campsites.

CGR2015 MAP1.jpg

Last year our plans to use the last few large campsites at the end of the Gold Lake 4x4 Campground trail got a little messed up by a VERY large group that has apparently been going up there for 30 years and spending a month hoarding all the sites.... I'd like to avoid this issue this time around, so the dates will be pushed back one week from last years event. Plan A is to get those last two large sites so everyone can enjoy the big gravel beach and bonfire pit.

DLV_5701 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

Campfire Permits

Campfire Permits are required for your stoves, and fire restrictions are in effect. Open fires are only permitted in designated Gov. installed fire rings. From what I can tell on the Forrest Service website, the fire rings at the Gold Lake 4x4 campground are allowed to be used.

Please take a few minutes to get a campfire permit at the following link!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3826487.pdf

Getting There:
Gold Lake is part of the Lakes Basin Recreation Area in Plumas County.

The way I usually go is up Hwy 49, passing through Downieville and Sierra City on the way up to Bassetts Station where you can turn onto the Gold Lake Hwy which takes you into the Lakes Basin Recreational Area.

You can also get there by taking Hwy 70 up through the Feather River canyon. Stay on 70 where it splits off to Hwy 89 towards Lake Almanor and you will eventually get to the town of Quincy (KWalkerM's town). Continue along 70 until it splits off to Hwy 89 again towards Graeagle, at the opposite end of Graeagle turn right onto the Gold Lake Hwy.

If your coming from the Tahoe area, follow Hwy 89 north toward Sierraville, then turn left onto Hwy 49. Continue on Hwy 49 when it splits off to Hwy 89 just past Sattley; follow Hwy 49 until you reach Bassetts Station, then turn right onto the Gold Lake Highway.

Pics From 2014:

Group Photo before everyone headed home:
group photo.jpg

roudy camp.jpg

quiet camp.jpg

_DLV5900 by Darrell Vaughn, on Flickr

img_1091-jpg.920771

If you haven't decided that this is a trip worth taking yet... well, I'll just leave this last pic here...

img_0338-jpg.919997

Last edited:
Last edited:
T-Shirts:
Thanks for setting this all up @jcardona1!

IMPORTANT: After the campaign ends they say it takes about 2 weeks to get your shirt. I set it up for a minimum goal of 10 shirts to get it going. If the campaign ends and more people still want a shirt we can probably create another one, just run it for about a week so shirts will still arrive in time.

I also set an option to pick up the shirts from me at the campsite, or anytime really. That saves you from paying the shipping charges ($4)

Current Shirt orders: http://buy.teespring.com/ih8mud-cruiser-gold-rush-pt2
Hoodie orders: http://buy.teespring.com/ih8mud-cruiser-gold-rush-hoods

Last edited:
We'd love to come.
We know that giant group. My boys will be with that group with their mom.
If my 40 is in shape, we'll be there.

Nice work guys!! Had a blast last year and Looking forward to it this year! Let me know if I can help (except for paying for half the beer)! No more babysitting this year @Bawlzdeep.. Hopefully some people won't flake @jcardona1 ....

I'll try to coordinate this for next year if you run it a third time...looks awesome!

Nice work guys!! Had a blast last year and Looking forward to it this year! Let me know if I can help (except for paying for half the beer)! No more babysitting this year @Bawlzdeep.. Hopefully some people won't flake @jcardona1 ....

Hey hey I was there at my Plan B campsite! I wouldn't hold my breath for the campsite at Gold Lake. Way too easy to access and too crowded. I think Little Gold Lake should be Plan A

Now count me in again... This time no more (hopefully) unfortunate events... We had a death in the family last year and didn't make it.

PS. I started collecting ipods already (already have a few) for the raffle just like last years...

The 26th is my wife's birthday, so I guess this trip will have to be her present :)

I volunteer to lead the Snake Lake night run. KWalkerM, can you give me a spot?

I guess it's time to put in my time off now,a real blast last year looking forward to see all of you guys again.

@Machinist I guess the the 60 is staying with you right? Don't sell it man.

I guess it's time to put in my time off now,a real blast last year looking forward to see all of you guys again.

@Machinist I guess the the 60 is staying with you right? Don't sell it man.
For now, yes. Still not sure what I want to do with it, but I'm saving up for something newer. I've thought about making it more of a wheeling rig and getting a second truck for trips/DD, but I don't think my Dad really likes the idea of having another barely used car sitting in his driveway...

Something like an 80!! :flipoff2:

dude, i was about to throw down 50 bucks for beer until you made that bet that i couldnt make it into Slow Eddys cup! beer pong shot across the campsite from 40 feet! ill have to find a good beer pong table for this too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom