bj60 5-speed conversion questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 84 bj60 that the PO put a vacuum actuated t-case behind a 5-speed in it when originally had a floor shifted t-case and there is not vacuum switch and plumbing for it. Does anyone have any creative ideas for quickly solving this problem so it can be shifted into front drive? I had a couple thoughts that maybe someone with more experience has an opinion about.

A. Obviously I could try to get all the vacuum parts and put them on or maybe use some other available vacuum switch and plumb it. This sounds like a PIA either way but maybe someone knows of a good source for the parts or a way to simplify it.

B. Could compressed air be used instead of vacuum and if so, how complicated of a mess would this be. I have an on board compressor .

C. I was thinking that maybe an electric solenoid for a door lock might be able to be rigged up with a fulcrum and possibly fit inside the diaphram housing or maybe put a skpacer to make the housing a bit bigger to seal it inside. The throw is about 1"

Also, are the drive shafts for the front for the b-5spd the same as the F 5spd or 4spd with extensions housing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Run vacuum lines into the cab and operate directly using a 3way vacuum switch, no electronics and couldnt get any simpler, provided the vacuum diaphram on the transfercase is ok, use the vacuum from your vac canister.

Or strip the transfer case and convert it to manual shift, thats what I did, need a fair few donour parts from a manual case though.

Swap parts as needed with a manual shifting t-case. The only 5 speed specific part is the section of the t-case attached to the tranny. Most 4 speed transfer have lower gearing in low range than the 5 speed transfer cases. I changed out the gears in the transfer case in my BJ60 for the lower range four speed ones.

The drive shaft for the 5 speed is different than a 4 speed but likely the same a the one used on a 4 speed WITH and extension housing.

Run vacuum lines into the cab and operate directly using a 3way vacuum switch, no electronics and couldnt get any simpler, provided the vacuum diaphram on the transfercase is ok, use the vacuum from your vac canister.

This looks like the quick way. I'm not pulling the t-case, it's not worth it. I got a 1/4" pressure switch (made is USA) for $22 at an industrial hardware place, it looks like it will do the trick - pretty relieved there is an easy way - many thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom