Thrill on the Hill 2009 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You missed a bunch. The original thread is still here in the forum.
-Mike-

Wow - we had a bunch of people that first year! That was a lot of fun. I didn't remember everybody either without seeing the list. We may consider it again this time. They put on a good event.

Looks like a wildfire has begun in the area, not too far from Cloudcroft.

Bad one too.... 0% contained tonight, 100 acres burning, evacuations in Cloudcroft.

-Mike-

Bad one too.... 0% contained tonight, 100 acres burning, evacuations in Cloudcroft.

-Mike-

TIMBERON, N.M. (AP) - A fire that burned 140 acres in southern New Mexico is 100 percent contained.
Fire crews are demobilizing after the blaze destroyed three homes in the small mountain community of Timberon. Residents of 20 homes were evacuated but have been allowed to return to their homes.

Posted at: 05/10/2009 12:29 PM
By: The Associated Press

I think I'll go if the 40 sin't sold by then-

I'll get me a back-Hoe, and I'll FIND that GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get me a back-Hoe, and I'll FIND that GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you would be better off by tracking that pan handler that found a nugget the size of a egg on the news the other day! OK back to Thrill on The Hill......

Nugget-

Saw that one on a FoKKKs "news" :rolleyes: clip- it was HUGE!!!

anyone else doing this event from our club besides me? I have at least 2 guys from work going. just getting ready to plan caravaning.:steer:

well... this event turned out to be extremely memorable for me!! and what a strange one too!

it all started a few weeks ago when i took in the 40 for new axle gears. i made a small miscalculation and forgot about the carrier break in my front ARB locker. looked like i would need to buy a new locker to install the gears. it took a week to get all the parts in at Desert Rat and get it done. turns out i didn't need a new locker(that saved a ton of $). but I then took the rig to a transmission shop because it was running hot and slipping a little the last outing. the shop says it is WAY shot. friction material and metal in the pan. they can't have it done 'till next week. the delay at Desert Rat had put me a week behind getting it to them and they took their time getting to it. so no 40 for the TOTH. we decide to make it a camping weekend, since the event is paid for and too late for a refund. I asked at sign up if i could maybe take my Ford on a run:eek:, explaining my 40's situation. they had camera crews filming the event, so we agreed on one that had no cameras. the next day, we took it on an easy run.:grinpimp: we had a good time running the ski runs in Cloudcroft and Hangglider Hill.
the boys went playing in the woods and found 2 horned lizards. they were having a blast.
cloudcroft 003.jpg
cloudcroft 006.jpg
cloudcroft 028.JPG

at dinner, we find out a participants wife bought a keg for her husband's Bday and we all are celebrating with them. Hmmm, free beer, but i have to party with some cruiser people.:flipoff2: that's just too easy!
I asked Brandon if anyone had a guitar for the campfire because I had my harmonicas with me. he hadn't seen anyone with one. they were showing the days videos at the lodge and Brandon asked me to play harp for it. harmonica...by itself?! I've never tried that before for more than a few seconds just messing around. so I gave it my best shot playing my own accompaniment. I played 'til i ran out of material, maybe 10 mins. I walked away and was asked to come back and do more 'til the video was over! :eek: ok...
i guess they liked it. i walked away with a Metaltech beer glass and a few tips. that was crazy! but it was about to enter the twilight zone...
not 30 mins later, Brandon and another event staff come up and say, "can you play with the band we have tomorrow night? they have agreed to pay you and need 1 more person to satisfy the music sponsor's requirements". :eek: well, i love to play, but playing with a band you don't know and never practiced with can be VERY tough! they play songs i know different than my band does and many songs i don't know. I agreed to do it. it is a great honor and chance to learn. I was sure i could pull it off. anything i have a hard time with, i'll just lay out and let them play it w/o me. if i play for half the songs, it will work great.

TOTH

Yes it was great. Kim and I am still coughing up dust and our rain gear worked just fine on the way home. It was good music to learn my two step.

I hope to be able to goout with you HD guys one day. Nice to meet you. Mike

Sounds like a great time. Very cool about finding the Horned Lizards. I spent the entire weekend working on tile, which was not very enjoyable. It was the third weekend that I worked on my 'weekend' project.

Jill and i went out the second event day before the "gig" and explored on our own with the boys. we actually used 4x4 low even. Brock was pumped about that. turns out we ran most of an event trail just about 1 hour behind the group!
evening comes and i am ready to meet the band. it's a bit strange helping them set up, and i know they are wondering if this is going to work. they play an eclectic mix of music including a good bit of country. I've never played country. :bang: i knew i should have practiced some country scales before. on a warm up/ sound check song, i joined right in and it sounded pretty good. the band leader came up a few minutes later and said, "this is going to work great". whew! i passed the first test. :banana:
after a delicious dinner, we played and i actually got into every song! they played country, rock, raggae(sp?), everything and i played it all! we had a great time.
cloudcroft 049.jpg
cloudcroft 052.jpg
cloudcroft 053.jpg

the raffle was done in sections between the music. Brandon had everyone's name in a box, no tickets to buy, same chances for everyone. when you are drawn, you pick a paper from another box to determine your prize. everything from dvd's, t-shirts, to high end FJCruiser parts! everyone gets something. i like my odds this time.:flipoff2:
when my name is drawn, i pick up a paper, open it and it's Icon lower control arms!!!:eek: i never win anything at raffles! of course the guy who hs an FJ40 and shows up in a Ford wins these.:ban: i'm gonna get shot or stabbed trying to leave this place.:censor:

i did forget to mention who all we saw there and new people met. Paul B and wife Laurie were there, Rick, a guy i work with (El Tejon here), Mike and Kirk from El Paso. new people included Sean and wife( the keg people:beer:) who live in Abq! we should start seeing them around soon.;) Fat Bob, who is not fat by the way(don't know the story on that one), and too many others to count. the campfire nights were fun with you guys!
100_6566R.jpg

Last edited:
here's the link to Icon who made these beefy control arms. www.iconvehicledynamics.org

they are billet aluminum, as light or lighter than stock and 4 times the size! look at the size of that heim joint!

i'll have no problem finding a home for them here in the club. Rick, my buddy, won tube doors. they are very nice too. powder coated black.

congrats to Brandon and the Thrill on the Hill event!

Wow, sounds like fun!

I've heard Shawn jam w/unknown bands before... unless you know, or he's in uniform, it's like he's always played w/them.

Wow, sounds like fun!

I've heard Shawn jam w/unknown bands before... unless you know, or he's in uniform, it's like he's always played w/them.

that band(the one you heard me play with previously), i had a really hard time hitting the groove. i never felt comfortable and hit a ton of clunker notes. :rolleyes: it was that experience that had me a little worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom