long trip to Africa (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Helllo all!

I plased this auestion an some other manufacturers forum pages too so lets run it here too!

This is the starting point:

run an long trip from Scandinavia to Africa ( Gambia) with 2 adults and 3 kidds.
we need a vehicle of some sort! looking for Toyota LC, Mercedes G and Land Rover 110/130.

what do you guys think of Toyota (execpt its the best, ofcource :) ) which one is rugged and spacious enough for this kind of trip 10 000km/6500miles.

obiviously car is taking punnisment durin trip so axels, bearing and suspension has to be in top trim!

can anyone who done lång trip share some experience and hints/tips what to look and waht to think of!

any vehicle preparation suggestions are welcome too!

Chees

jan&family

great trip. Enjoy and good luck!

I would think finding parts for a MBZ in Africa would not be easy. Toyota and LR probably way better.

Take a simple vehicle easy to repair. Diesel for sure.

Very reliable (that may leave out LR).

Big or a good offroad trailer.

Big fuel tank or plenty of jerry cans.

70+ series LandCruiser would do the trick, I would think. Diesel 80 or diesel 105 series if you can find that.

I would go with a Land Rover Defender-110. I drove from the South Africa up to Kenya over a nine-month period of time....now this was about 10 years ago, but my perception was having a D-110 would be easier to service than a Toyota. That said, it seems like each country has its own bias...some coutries were "Land Rover" countries, others were "Toyota" countries. I saw D-110 diesel units everywhere. I think you go with your gut, pick a horse, and let the chips fall where they may.

Hi - An HZJ 78 is a sure bet. Nice link there: http://www.bourlingueurs.com/afrique/

But basically if it is about driving straight to Gambia, you can now do it in a normal car or a van, as the road between Nouhadibou and Nouakchott (Mauritania), which used to be the missing link between Southern Morocco and Senegal, was recently built. My folks did the trip in a stock Renault Master three months ago.
Good luck!

Hi - An HZJ 78 is a sure bet. Nice link there: http://www.bourlingueurs.com/afrique/

But basically if it is about driving straight to Gambia, you can now do it in a normal car or a van, as the road between Nouhadibou and Nouakchott (Mauritania), which used to be the missing link between Southern Morocco and Senegal, was recently built. My folks did the trip in a stock Renault Master three months ago.
Good luck!

road? who wants a stinkin' road...? this is Dakar Rally territory... :D

(isn't it weird how the border splits the peninsula in Nouhadibou?)

e9999, the border between Dakhla and Nouadhibou zone is actually weird, but don't forget the Spaniards left balls out there in the mid 70s and there are a lot of issues still pending, ie Morocco claiming the former "Rio de Oro", Algeria meddling, guerrillas holed in the desert...
AFA the road is concerned, I guess Mauritanians are more than happy to finally get a road between the two main cities of their country (imagine no highway between San Francisco and Los Angeles - Oh, OK, a mudder's dream:D). But à mon avis there are still ways to enjoy Africa in a wild way, ie Tunis - Cape Town through Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya and so on. Not for the faint-hearted, but some still do it nowadays. Of course, a Toyota rig is a must...

e9999, the border between Dakhla and Nouadhibou zone is actually weird, but don't forget the Spaniards left balls out there in the mid 70s and there are a lot of issues still pending, ie Morocco claiming the former "Rio de Oro", Algeria meddling, guerrillas holed in the desert...
AFA the road is concerned, I guess Mauritanians are more than happy to finally get a road between the two main cities of their country (imagine no highway between San Francisco and Los Angeles - Oh, OK, a mudder's dream:D). But à mon avis there are still ways to enjoy Africa in a wild way, ie Tunis - Cape Town through Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia, Kenya and so on. Not for the faint-hearted, but some still do it nowadays. Of course, a Toyota rig is a must...

yes, and as we saw recently, they like to take potshots at Toys carrying tourists in Ethiopia, right...? :eek:

Just don't try to go and fetch a soy latte at the Modagiscio Mall Starbucks:D

From my experience on the continent, 80 series Land Cruisers were of choice for overlanding... or 70 series (bit more rudimentary), roof tent, diesel if possible, and you should be able to fit five people's goods with comfort and reliability... plus most countries have a Toy dealership (if no other, possibly Rover). Saw lots of rovers in disrepair, lots of Toys somehow still in service though abused and old.... made me realize that Toys are more hardy IMO. G-wag would be nice with more creature comforts but they were the least frequently seen by me and viewed as status symbols..... for work or service (safari company's, local officials, 70 series cruisers and Hilux are of choice), for overlanding with family's, 80 series were most common choice.... if I were to do it, I would take a modest looking cruiser with solid mechanics. For example, a 60 series diesel would be highly considered... less bling than an 80 or 105 Cruiser = less attention, mostly simple mechanicals, and fits 5, add roof rack, other essential outfitting and you should be good to go. BTW, most overlanders travelled in groups of two or more...hth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom