3B won't start....No Fuel....how come (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Our 81 BJ42 doen't want to start. It appears that it isn't getting any fuel. It cranks over very well but does not even attempt to fire. I have crack the fuel line from the the filter to injection pump and cranked it over. It squirted fuel. I then cracked an injection line and got nothing while cranking over. Thought it must be around or it is the injection pump. I then thought it might be the EDIC. I disconnected the rod from it to the fuel shut off so that it was sprung open and still no fire.

The truck has been running fine until today. No problems whatsoever. Hoping some of you folks might have some ideas. I'm really hoping its not the injections pump. But if it is.....whats next?

Thanks,
Tyler Arnott

Is there some kind of relay that maybe isn't working??

Ok, so you put the EDIC arm to run. Thats one thing out.

Now turn on the glows while looking at the glowplug busbar across the top of the engine for power. See if your glows are getting voltage.

Also you pump the primer handle till it gets solid.

I don't think its a glow issue. The glow plugs are working ok and it would at least try to start. Also since I have no fuel coming from the injection lines I think it is injection pump related. I did disconnect the edic but it sprung to the overinject side of things much like it does when it starts. The EDIC appears to be working any way. I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the Diaphram. No idea what exactly that thing does. I just know that they can sometimes go..... Keep the ideas coming

Also the primer pump is rock solid. I have to loose the bleeder screw to get it back in.

try a dedicated fuel supply, like a gerry can that the feed line for the fuel pump goes into. I had the same problem with my bj60 and found out it was the fuel supply to the engine (somewhere in the lines , tank or sedimenter). It will rule out the edic/fuel pump.
cheers
bob

untill you ensure the glows are working I would not discount them. The engine can start with out them, so you can get some puff puff, but if the engine is cold it won't catch with out the plugs.

The diaphram is for governing of the pump. Small leaks should still allow the engine to start, but then maybe rev high.

Also check all the fuses in the box to see if any are blown.

I actually have the same thing going on with my bj60... However when I use the primer pump fuel gushes up from around the plastic of the primer and the metal collar of the housing. Is that where my problem is coming from?​

Maybe/maybe not. Replace the primer with a new anyhow.

Call an injection shop to buy one. They are for a denso pump. I was told a bosch one would fit too.

"However when I use the primer pump fuel gushes up from around the plastic of the primer and the metal collar of the housing"

Isn't that quite common? I haven't seen one yet that doesn't do this.

"However when I use the primer pump fuel gushes up from around the plastic of the primer and the metal collar of the housing"

Isn't that quite common? I haven't seen one yet that doesn't do this.

Only when the seals are shot and it is worn out. Which by now most stock ones are.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom