My FJ60 has the cancer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to take care of some rust spots on my 86 FJ60 and was grinding off the paint and found that I am too late for the left front fender.

It's the usual spot, behind the wheel. So there's a hole and it's too big for bondo, so I will need to either weld in something and bondo over it or get a new fender.

I can probably find a place to weld something in for pretty cheap, but a full replacement fender from cruiserparts.net is about $200.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other options I should consider? I want to make sure I take every option into account before I decide what to do, so thanks for your suggestions.

Winston

I went to take care of some rust spots on my 86 FJ60 and was grinding off the paint and found that I am too late for the left front fender.

It's the usual spot, behind the wheel. So there's a hole and it's too big for bondo, so I will need to either weld in something and bondo over it or get a new fender.

I can probably find a place to weld something in for pretty cheap, but a full replacement fender from cruiserparts.net is about $200.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other options I should consider? I want to make sure I take every option into account before I decide what to do, so thanks for your suggestions.

Winston

I don't know how hard it is to replace and what kind of time it will take...but something tells me a $200 fender is cheap compared to custom patch work...which probably won't come out as good either. I'd consider going that route (new fender).

I don't know how hard it is to replace and what kind of time it will take...but something tells me a $200 fender is cheap compared to custom patch work...which probably won't come out as good either. I'd consider going that route (new fender).

That's before paint though. :frown:

Depending on the size, you might consider fiberglass as opposed to bondo. Lighter, stronger and IMO, easier to work with in larger areas.

Does anyone know if there's an outlet for fiberglass parts?

What about a market for them?

Won't rust, lighter, strong, and should increase fuel effeciency a bit:D

i wouldn't pach a pannel if I could replace it, save the welding for the rear wheel wells.
Jonathan

new fender. some of the ones i've seen come primed and ready to paint.

I've been there, definately do the new fender. If you plan on keeping the rig, suck it up on the extra cash for the correct repair and you will never regret that you spent it. If you don't and the old rust "pops" in a yr or 2, you will kick yourself.

Holy smokes! I am about to move about 2 miles from there! I will have to pick one up when I get there. I guess I can live a month with the fender cancer. Thanks for the link.

Welcome!

Ron and family are fantastic! ...and welcome to CO!

Ron and family are fantastic! ...and welcome to CO!

Thanks...and you mean "welcome back!"

I got the 60 right before I moved to CT a couple years ago.

spector off road also sells fenders

check them out thay are in california and lots of cruiser parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom