Sold my FJ-60 today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sold my FJ-60 today with 201k miles for $3800. I was hoping to get more but there wasn't much interest in it around here (Niceville, FL).
It looks good and runs great but I think a lot of young people were turned off by the 4-speed transmission, as in they don't know how to drive one. Anyway, it was a great truck and never let me down. In the eight years I owned it I bought new tires and had a brake job done when I first bought it. The carburator went bad and I replaced that with a rebuilt one. The smog pump scared the hell out of me one day when it started making this loud tapping sound (I was sure the engine had finally given out) Imagine my relief when I discovered it was only the bearings in the smog pump---new pump=$68.89. Another time it started running rough and had no power. Further investigation revealed no compression in two adjacent cylinders. Blown head gasket. I fixed it myself and it ran great to this day. I paid $5500 for this truck in !999 and sold it today for $3800. According to my calculations it cost me $212.50 a year to own this truck---that's 58.22 cents a day. Just another testament to the Land Cruiser legacy. Here's a tip for all you FJ-60 owner's----They run better and stronger with premium gas.

Sold my FJ-60 today with 201k miles for $3800. I was hoping to get more but there wasn't much interest in it around here (Niceville, FL).
It looks good and runs great but I think a lot of young people were turned off by the 4-speed transmission, as in they don't know how to drive one. Anyway, it was a great truck and never let me down. In the eight years I owned it I bought new tires and had a brake job done when I first bought it. The carburator went bad and I replaced that with a rebuilt one. The smog pump scared the hell out of me one day when it started making this loud tapping sound (I was sure the engine had finally given out) Imagine my relief when I discovered it was only the bearings in the smog pump---new pump=$68.89. Another time it started running rough and had no power. Further investigation revealed no compression in two adjacent cylinders. Blown head gasket. I fixed it myself and it ran great to this day. I paid $5500 for this truck in !999 and sold it today for $3800. According to my calculations it cost me $212.50 a year to own this truck---that's 58.22 cents a day. Just another testament to the Land Cruiser legacy. Here's a tip for all you FJ-60 owner's----They run better and stronger with premium gas.

add gas, and you are up to 3000 a year :D

sorry you sold it, good luck,
J

Damn, FJ60s are expensive down there. I'd say you got some dough out of it. $2k is typical around here unless it's super-nice.

Damn, FJ60s are expensive down there. I'd say you got some dough out of it. $2k is typical around here unless it's super-nice.

Expensive? Where abouts are you at? I can't say exactly what a 60 goes for here in the NW, but 62's can bring 8k or better. Before I got mine, even rigs with rust issues and near 300k on the odo were still bringing well over 5. I was just talking to a guy tonight who bought a totalled (tree, big tree, fell on it across the hood and over the roof) 62 to part out the mechanical and rebuild another wrecked rig he had, and still paid 2k for it.

What's wrong with you man? Selling a perfectly good 60.;) I understand though, It sounds like a cruiser I would want to own. Cruisers up here are ridiculous in price, especially if people know what they have.

Tk

I sold my 85 60 with 205k last June for $4,500. No rust, and it had a top end rebuild, new clutch, new carb, 2'' lift shackles with poly bushings, almost perfect paint, and almost perfect interior. The thing was sweet, and every day I regret that I sold it. Now I drive a 93 Volvo 960, and I like to think of it as a lowered and "squished down" LC. The fuel injection is nice, it has an I6, a locking rear diff, is pretty durable, (it's been down more than 500 miles of dirt and mud roads) and gets 25-26 MPG highway mpg.......but I still miss the LC :rolleyes:

Expensive? Where abouts are you at? I can't say exactly what a 60 goes for here in the NW, but 62's can bring 8k or better. Before I got mine, even rigs with rust issues and near 300k on the odo were still bringing well over 5. I was just talking to a guy tonight who bought a totalled (tree, big tree, fell on it across the hood and over the roof) 62 to part out the mechanical and rebuild another wrecked rig he had, and still paid 2k for it.

I'm in Portland. Sure you see FJ60s on craigslist, etc with obscene price tags, but six months later they're still there. I paid $2k for mine (202k miles, dealer maintained with service records, two owners, factory compression, no rust, runs great, all systems functional). There are A LOT of good FJ60s out there for under $3k. No sense paying more for one. Realize that some of what you see with high price tags are rigs with lifts, bumpers, winches, racks, etc. That may add some value for the right buyer, but a lot of sellers have a hard time recouping their investment.

If it ran better with premium, your 60 was probably due for a tune up. A properly tuned 60/62 will run better and stronger with 87.

Sorry you sold it. You'll just have to buy another down the road.

Sorry for your loss. I can't imagine parting with my 60.

Ditto on manuals. They rule!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom