2000 Jetta-WTF??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
So the girlfriend has a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta with 108,000 miles.

EDIT: It is a 2.0 Liter Gasoline Engine....

Background: Two months ago the temp. light comes on, I go to check the coolant and can't because it is a sealed system. Temp gauge doesn't look excessively high but the light is on.

She took it to the dealer, they flushed, refilled, etc. and said the cooling system is fine now.

Two weeks ago: I check her oil because she complains the motor is idling rough etc... Oil is black, and about a quart low. She says she had gone about 5000 miles since last change.

Here is PROBLEM 1: When I went to add a quart (all I could do till we got back home) I noticed that the oil fill cap had milky white crap covering the inside.

Does this indicate a blown head gasket?

PROBLEM 2 and WTF for the day: Yesterday I changed the oil before a 200 mile (there and back) road trip. I filled it to the correct level. Today I check her oil level on a whim and it is almost 2 quarts low!
There is no oil on the driveway and no smoke from the motor.
Where did the oil go and why?

Side note.... The fill cap had white milky substance again but not as much.

If it is a head gasket what ballpark can I expect for a repair bill?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm guessing somewhere between $900-$1200 for the head job w/ oem parts. That will get the timing belt replaced while your in there. The condensation in the cap is possibly water from the head gasket but, if you have alot of short drive cycles where the engine crosses the dewpoint temperature then it creates condensation from the moisture in the air. Usually it contaminates the oil w/ water as well. Have you checked the cooling system for oil contamination?

The cooling system is a "sealed" system.

I cannot look at anything but the overflow container-and it is clean.

BTW, she JUST had the timing belt replaced at 101,000.

Thanks for the response.

Any other help is appreciated.

Take it to Glen at Action Automotive in Stillwater. Talk to him about it. Tell him I sent you there. He is very knowledgable on all kinds of cars and will tell you like it is. Don't schedule anything, just drive it over sometime and tell them the problem. See what they say about it.

i think all VWs have that milky substance in there. My sister has a 99 2 liter and it has the same. The engine uses some oil also. Think that is just what you get when you buy a volskwagen.

Take it to Glen at Action Automotive in Stillwater. Talk to him about it. Tell him I sent you there. He is very knowledgable on all kinds of cars and will tell you like it is. Don't schedule anything, just drive it over sometime and tell them the problem. See what they say about it.

Thanks Dave.... I have been there once myself in the past and found them to be pretty good.

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you on the axle.... I called, stopped by, and even left a note for the guy that (hopefully) has them in his garage, but am getting no response.

I will see what AA says about the VW.

Talk to Glen and tell him I sent you. Describe the issues with him. He has troubleshot alot of stuff for me over the phone. Wish he wasn't 80 miles away.

No hurry on the axle but I am interested if you can locate the guy.

Green Country Cruisers is having a membership drive now. Check the GCC forum for info - $750 ARB prize!!!!

i had the same type of issue on my grand am. first time i saqw it i was freakin out. oils looked good when drained no foam in it and right color and coolant was always full and looked clean. i was beating my head and had it pressure checked. all was fine. well in the summer i noticed the stuff was gone. then in winter came back. well it ended up i had to replace engine cause i threw a rod. same thing happened with new engine. winter milky stuff on stick summer no milky stuff.

i figure it is condensation on the oil fill tube its the same tube as the dip stick(dumb design in my opinion). the fill tube was way out in the open and was exposed to cold air flowing through. my stick had a big plastic ball on the end that would scrape the walls of the tube as you pulled it out. i bet if you can take that tube off clean it out put it back on and run it a bit.....recheck oil, i bet you dont find any of that stuff on it.

any way just my .02 and i know it aint much consolation.

steve

The condensation in the cap is possibly water from the head gasket but, if you have alot of short drive cycles where the engine crosses the dewpoint temperature then it creates condensation from the moisture in the air. Usually it contaminates the oil w/ water as well. Have you checked the cooling system for oil contamination?

guess i didnt read all replys to well;)

I don't know squat about VWs but the first thing I always check on an engine that seems to drink oil is the PCV valve. I had one that rattled and still allowed oil past. If that is the case you should find residue inside the hose going to the intake.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom