New to the community, doing research before I buy my first LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like a nice truck on the surface. If it doesn't work out.

Don't pass up a nice LX470. If you plan to drive on tight brush-covered trails (e.g. tight for a 3rd gen 4Runner) there is a nice feature where you can tuck in the mirrors at the touch of a button. I use that feature 4 or 5 times a month when I go off-road. I didn't have a clue about that LX470 feature until I started off-roading and using it.

AHC can be a dream on rough trails like washboards. If you don't like it, we have dozens of LC shock and spring options.

Personal opinion, you'll do great if you can find a lightly "soccer mom" driven LX470 from the ArklaTex region that hasn't seen a grain of road salt. I bought a 99 model that originally came from Sewell in the DFW area.

Here are some numbers about 100 series sales in the US for comparison. I didn't know this at the time I bought my 99 model.

When I was looking for an off-road vehicle, an LX470s were selling for less than a 3rd gen 4Runner. I realize things have changed. If you save some money on an LX470 purchase, then you can have extra money to make all kinds of cool mods.

Take your time and be selective. This hyper market will eventually end.

1626688717407.png

Here's an ArkLaTex LX470 underside after a good cleaning. No issues removing bolts to perform maintenance.

1626688929997.png

I believe 03-07 all have back up camera. Why do you want to replace it with an aftermarket one?
I just want to have a backup camera in general, OEM is fine with me. In the listings I have seen so far, it seems like the backup camera is only mentioned on the '06-07 models. I haven't seen any mention of it on the '03-05, but it's very possible I have missed it. Anyone else with insight on this?

It looks like a nice truck on the surface. If it doesn't work out.

Don't pass up a nice LX470. If you plan to drive on tight brush-covered trails (e.g. tight for a 3rd gen 4Runner) there is a nice feature where you can tuck in the mirrors at the touch of a button. I use that feature 4 or 5 times a month when I go off-road. I didn't have a clue about that LX470 feature until I started off-roading and using it.

AHC can be a dream on rough trails like washboards. If you don't like it, we have dozens of LC shock and spring options.

Personal opinion, you'll do great if you can find a lightly "soccer mom" driven LX470 from the ArklaTex region that hasn't seen a grain of road salt. I bought a 99 model that originally came from Sewell in the DFW area.

Here are some numbers about 100 series sales in the US for comparison. I didn't know this at the time I bought my 99 model.

When I was looking for an off-road vehicle, an LX470s were selling for less than a 3rd gen 4Runner. I realize things have changed. If you save some money on an LX470 purchase, then you can have extra money to make all kinds of cool mods.

Take your time and be selective. This hyper market will eventually end.

Thanks a ton for the advice, LX/LC data, and photo - all super helpful. I will definitely look into LX470s and am in no rush to buy a rig in the immediate future. I am comfortable with waiting until this crazy market calms down.

I just want to have a backup camera in general, OEM is fine with me. In the listings I have seen so far, it seems like the backup camera is only mentioned on the '06-07 models. I haven't seen any mention of it on the '03-05, but it's very possible I have missed it. Anyone else with insight on this?
I understand. I've never been very big on aftermarket stereo systems until I met this system. I am changing.

How about 3 cameras and not being locked into a proprietary OEM system?

Pick the best of breed component with a Kenwood 907s.

Dash Cam
Trail Cam
Rear Cam

Apple or Android car play.

1626688739143.png

1626688784027.png

Trail cam at dusk.

1626688827720.png

1626688947464.png

1626688863528.png

Good on you to start asking questions before taking the plunge, you'll find plenty of good advice here!

I was in the same boat about 7 yrs ago and I found a nicely maintained but high-ish mileage (138k at the time) '06 in PA. They included some undercarriage pics and later found out that it had spent most of its life in VA so we sprang for it (it wasn't immaculate, but it was pretty damn nice). It now has 205k and not once has the dealership said there have been issues due to rust. In fact, they consistently compliment me how clean it is underneath and I don't do Fluid Film or any undercoating, only regular washes. That's 7 yrs of life in the Northeast and it's still looking good!

All of this is to say that if you start with one that isn't quite immaculate but keep up with undercarriage washes, you should be ok, these trucks can outlast you and your kids if treated with some TLC. You can certainly be patient and find one from the SW that's pristine, but the question you should be asking is whether it's worth it to wait and possibly pay a premium. With an RS4 that you, no doubt, take good care of, it might not be worth stressing over the other vehicle quite as much.

Just my .02! If you end up looking at other ones, insist on undercarriage pics and then post them here where you'll get the whole range of answers from "run!" to "I call dibs if you don't buy it!"

Best of luck!

I understand. I've never been very big on aftermarket stereo systems until I met this system. I am changing.

How about 3 cameras and not being locked into a proprietary OEM system?

Pick the best of breed component with a Kenwood 907s.

Dash Cam
Trail Cam
Rear Cam

Apple or Android car play.

View attachment 2736412

View attachment 2736413

Trail cam at dusk.

View attachment 2736414

View attachment 2736419

View attachment 2736416
That is pretty amazing! Care to share more details like where you bought it from, if you or someone else installed it, any issues with the install (I've read it can be a PITA), total price, etc.? Would you be willing to include photos of the 3 cameras a little more zoomed out to get a sense of how they appear on the rig? Thanks much!

Good on you to start asking questions before taking the plunge, you'll find plenty of good advice here!

I was in the same boat about 7 yrs ago and I found a nicely maintained but high-ish mileage (138k at the time) '06 in PA. They included some undercarriage pics and later found out that it had spent most of its life in VA so we sprang for it (it wasn't immaculate, but it was pretty damn nice). It now has 205k and not once has the dealership said there have been issues due to rust. In fact, they consistently compliment me how clean it is underneath and I don't do Fluid Film or any undercoating, only regular washes. That's 7 yrs of life in the Northeast and it's still looking good!

All of this is to say that if you start with one that isn't quite immaculate but keep up with undercarriage washes, you should be ok, these trucks can outlast you and your kids if treated with some TLC. You can certainly be patient and find one from the SW that's pristine, but the question you should be asking is whether it's worth it to wait and possibly pay a premium. With an RS4 that you, no doubt, take good care of, it might not be worth stressing over the other vehicle quite as much.

Just my .02! If you end up looking at other ones, insist on undercarriage pics and then post them here where you'll get the whole range of answers from "run!" to "I call dibs if you don't buy it!"

Best of luck!
Thank you very much for sharing your personal experience and input. Thanks for mentioning that I should post undercarriage pics on here to get everyone's thoughts. I will post them when I have them and immediately pop some popcorn for when the comments start rolling in. :popcorn:

I would rather buy a rig from an enthusiast on here, but I do follow BaT and C&B to get a sense of the market. Any thoughts on this one? Undercarriage pics? Accident on Carfax, TPMS light on, passenger airbag light is on, life in the rust belt...

Backup camera started in 2004.

I would rather buy a rig from an enthusiast on here, but I do follow BaT and C&B to get a sense of the market. Any thoughts on this one? Undercarriage pics? Accident on Carfax, TPMS light on, passenger airbag light is on, life in the rust belt...

Looks good.

That is pretty amazing! Care to share more details like where you bought it from, if you or someone else installed it, any issues with the install (I've read it can be a PITA), total price, etc.? Would you be willing to include photos of the 3 cameras a little more zoomed out to get a sense of how they appear on the rig? Thanks much!
Let me get the details and snap more pictures. I am lucky to have a local home and car audio company in my area that does expert installation and setup. Their prices for equipment are basically the same as Crutchfield. It's the installation services that people love. It usually takes two weeks to get an appointment for an installation. Though it's well worth it to have everything nicely wired and working without issue. In my younger days, it would have been a DIY job. As I've grown older and wiser, I've learned to trust the experts when it comes to automotive wiring. Though, I do a lot of fancy engine work that keeps my restoration costs low. It all comes out in the wash.

The LX470 will be my eighth restoration (midlife refresh) in the past 12 years. I actually like to buy and refresh Japanese vehicles from the nineties up to about 2004 that are not too reliant on electronic capabilities. I feel like that is the golden period for over-the-top Japanese simplicity and quality.

Also, I prefer to find a vehicle with a few check engine codes like O2 or knock sensors and worn-out ball joints and tie rod ends. I know I'll be replacing all that stuff anyway.

As others have said, plan on roughly 2k for, "Baselining" as most of the LC owners (Previous owners) never replaced ANYTHING (usually) until it broke. That 2k is if you do your OWN wrenching, Figure another 2-3k in Labor if you don't want to wrench yourself.

Looks pretty clean but will be hard to tell whether the body work was done well or poorly without a closer inspection. However, undercarriage looks clean. TPMS light doesn't worry me, probably just a sensor going bad, but would want to know more about the pass. airbag light (maybe another sensor going bad there too, maybe part of the recall from a few years ago?).

Also, FWIW, I love the 06-07 years over the previous, the extra HP does make a bit of a difference driving around here where you occasionally have to get moving in a hurry. That and the AHC is REALLY nice on the road and as long as you pay attention to neutral pressures (pro tip, get Techstream), it's a reliable system that gets a bad rap. I've only have to change the fluid and replace one bad height sensor in 7 years.

Also @mycars, look up member @2001LC on here as Paul does incredible work restoring our beloved 100 series trucks and selling them. If you are patient, he may even have a few on the docket that will be up for sale shortly, but they often get spoken for early on. After seeing his restoration process, If I were to do this all over again, I'd have waited for a vehicle from him for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom