New to the community, doing research before I buy my first LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mycars

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Mudders!

I am hoping to buy my first LC in the near future and am trying to learn as much as possible about the 100-Series so I can make an informed purchase. My short term goals would be mostly to have a rock-solid daily driver that can go on long road trips and eventually modify it for overlanding (bumpers, sliders, lift, etc.). I would also hope to tow a small trailer, like an Off Grid trailer, so any advice from people who have done that would be appreciated.

From my research, I have gathered that the timing belt and water pump are important items to be replaced around 90k miles, and I feel like there is a third item I'm forgetting that commonly gets replaced at that time too.... Also, it looks like there is a potential issue with brake failure, and rust can be a problem too. I checked out the Slee Offroad Newbie Guide and some of the FAQs on here, but any guidance on the major things to consider would be much appreciated.

I was originally thinking about an '06-07 LC due to the bump in HP (I believe it went from 235 hp to 275 hp - please let me know if anyone feels that is negligible or noticeable) and the convenience of having a backup camera. But a fellow Mudder suggested the '03-05 LCs to avoid issues with the Secondary Air Intake Pump. Any thoughts from other experts out there? Anyone with experience adding an aftermarket backup camera?

What I would be looking for (subject to change based on advice received) is an '03-07(?) model in Thunder Cloud Metallic, ideally less than 150k miles, and the closer to stock the better. There is one on cargurus.com and cars.com for sale outside of Boston, MA. I'll include the link to cars.com because they have a free Carfax report included. Any thoughts on this one? Any concerns about the mileage being almost too low at 63k??

Thanks in advance for your helpful feedback. I am excited to become a member of this great community!

Very Respectfully,
Mike

Let the undercarriage rust discussions/speculations/fear mongering commence!

There is one on cargurus.com and cars.com for sale outside of Boston, MA.
1626725548196.gif

Haha, for some reason I'm not surprised about your reply. Care to share what is bad about this one?
Anything that is from the NE or Midwest will receive the hate and fear of rust from members.....unless the vehicle lived in a heated garage and was only driven on Sundays. Just about all landcruisers from the NE or rust belt states rarely include pics of the undercarriage. You see low miles, we suspect rusty barnacles on the underside. You may want to set your search for sunbelt states that never see rust.

Let the undercarriage rust discussions/speculations/fear mongering commence!

I'm here for it.

Being that its in Bastan with no under carriage photos....could be wicked rusty. something that low shoooould be clean underneath but the fact thaty they didnt post a single under carriage photo is concerning.

If you're going to spend 30k on a 100 that truck better be flawless top to bottom.

From my research, I have gathered that the timing belt and water pump are important items to be replaced around 90k miles, and I feel like there is a third item I'm forgetting that commonly gets replaced at that time too.... Also, it looks like there is a potential issue with brake failure, and rust can be a problem too. I checked out the Slee Offroad Newbie Guide and some of the FAQs on here, but any guidance on the major things to consider would be much appreciated.
Heater hose pipe T would be it. The steering rack can be an expensive replacement on these.

As mentioned previously, you probably want to look elsewhere in order to find a fairly rust free example. Also, I'd advise avoiding vehicles that have been modified in any way. Starting with a stock rig that hasn't been worked hard should deliver better reliability down the road.

When I bought my 05 used (from PA) I spent the first 45 minutes in the dealership parking lot on my back with a screwdriver and a hammer crawling under it looking for frame holes, stuff falling off or about to fall off, brake lines that looked like a kid with acne, and signs of black undercoat which would have been a dealbreaker. Mine wasn't terribly rusty from PA, I was about to be the second owner, and it came with a stack of service records. Interior was in good shape and it had regular oil changes and recent timing belt service. I did heater T's the minute I got it home. I've hosed the underside down with Fluid Film twice a year and my not so awful rust hasn't grown very much in the 8ish years I've had this one. Finding a "rust free" one, only to take it back to the salty a$$ northeast...eh, I almost feel like you'd get obsessed with keeping it rust free when the nature of northeast salt is hard on stuff regardless. Not gonna lie, 30k is a little steep for that unless she's perfect...but that means getting under it and poking around. Good luck and welcome to the madness!

I'm here for it.

Being that its in Bastan with no under carriage photos....could be wicked rusty. something that low shoooould be clean underneath but the fact thaty they didnt post a single under carriage photo is concerning.

If you're going to spend 30k on a 100 that truck better be flawless top to bottom.
Good call on all of your points. I reached out to the dealer with concern about the rust and they are supposed to be sending me photos. We'll see what they look like...

When I bought my 05 used (from PA) I spent the first 45 minutes in the dealership parking lot on my back with a screwdriver and a hammer crawling under it looking for frame holes, stuff falling off or about to fall off, brake lines that looked like a kid with acne, and signs of black undercoat which would have been a dealbreaker. Mine wasn't terribly rusty from PA, I was about to be the second owner, and it came with a stack of service records. Interior was in good shape and it had regular oil changes and recent timing belt service. I did heater T's the minute I got it home. I've hosed the underside down with Fluid Film twice a year and my not so awful rust hasn't grown very much in the 8ish years I've had this one. Finding a "rust free" one, only to take it back to the salty a$$ northeast...eh, I almost feel like you'd get obsessed with keeping it rust free when the nature of northeast salt is hard on stuff regardless. Not gonna lie, 30k is a little steep for that unless she's perfect...but that means getting under it and poking around. Good luck and welcome to the madness!
Wow, thanks for the super detailed and helpful post. Definitely looking forward to finding my dream rig and joining this community.

I'm new to this land cruiser thing as well, but not to the whole "lets bring old cars into our lives and spend stupid amounts of time and money fixing them up and spending HOURS reading about them.'

I've a friend who has done some 30 frame off restorations of various and sundry vehicles (his wife remains married to him, barely). His one piece of advice is "I can fix anything but rust. Don't buy rust."

I once went to see a 1953 ford F100 pickup offered for sale by the widow of a friend. She described it as "in good shape". It was on the ground in her backyard. An 8" diameter tree was growing in between the frame rails and the engine was on the ground underneath the front of the truck. The engine had fallen through the frame onto the ground and in places the frame rails were as thin as a piece of paper! Basically it would have been "build a new pickup truck from raw materials!!"

Luck with the search!

Gonna try some conjecture here. Most RS4 owners keep their cars in quite good shape. Meticulous is a good adjective.

If this describes you (OP), you'll be much better off with a higher mileage rig with stacks of documented service from any part of the country that includes the word 'south' for region. If you like to wrench yourself, the worst 4 letter word is 'rust'.

Im on Cape Cod for a few weeks if you want someone to run up and take some unbiased pics

Gonna try some conjecture here. Most RS4 owners keep their cars in quite good shape. Meticulous is a good adjective.

If this describes you (OP), you'll be much better off with a higher mileage rig with stacks of documented service from any part of the country that includes the word 'south' for region. If you like to wrench yourself, the worst 4 letter word is 'rust'.
Haha, very accurate conjecture there, @ramangain and very solid advice. Much appreciated.

Im on Cape Cod for a few weeks if you want someone to run up and take some unbiased pics
Oh wow, I truly appreciate the offer. If you are absolutely bored and just looking for something to do, I wouldn't stop you from checking it out. But please do not feel obligated to do so. I'm already loving the comradery of this community.

Oh wow, I truly appreciate the offer. If you are absolutely bored and just looking for something to do, I wouldn't stop you from checking it out. But please do not feel obligated to do so. I'm already loving the comradery of this community.
If I was absolutely bored with nothing to do Id pull my rear wheels, rotors and clean my parking brake shoes from all the muddy goodness that seeped in the other night and is causing an annoying noise.

You're in the rust belt, it appears, do you may live the "rust life" no matter what car you start out with.

I would not exclude 06-07. I own an 07 LX and had a 99LC. The niceties of vgrs and AHC greatly outweigh the negatives of any potential SAIS complications for me. Either way this is an expensive vehicle to keep "nice". Might as well get the one that performs/looks/feels the best.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom