Builds Cardoza's '05 GX470 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a little one on the way, and instead of switching out my wife's daily we decided to upgrade our 3rd Gen 4Runner to something a little more practical and nice for the family. Picked up an '05 GX470 with 161,000 that just had the timing belt service done for $8,200. It came with some awful stock chrome wheels and pinstriping that I can't wait to get rid of. The GX will primarily serve as a family hauler, but I would like it to stand out a bit from the soccer moms and it will occasionally see a trip to oil well sites. Plans for the build are a mild lift, wheels and tires, and giving the exterior some much needed TLC along the way. Looking forward to documenting the improvements that are made in this thread. I'll make another post with pictures this evening showing what's been done thus far.

Here's the 3rd Gen that served us well and is now serving duty as someone's first car. It sold within 4 hours of me posting it on Craigslist.

41612787842_a7d6c3725f_b.jpg

Here are some dealer pictures that show the car, although they do a good job of hiding the imperfections.

XqmRbuZ.jpg

Bg_640.jpg

Fw_640.jpg

1Q_640.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Buddy! I'm new to the world too! You're not too far away... Maybe we can wheel together some day :beer: Cheers!

Got the following ordered:

Bilstein 24-239370 Front Shocks ($211) - Amazon
Old Man Emu 2884 ($168) - 4Wheel Parts
KYB Strut Mount Kit ($65) - Ebay

Bilstein 33-187174 Rear Shocks ($173) - Amazon
Old Man Emu 2895 ($168) - 4Wheel Parts

Level 8 MK6 Matte Gunmetal, 17x8 +0 ($506) - Extreme Customs & Offroad
Black Lug Nuts ($48) - Extreme Customs & Offroad

I already replaced the rear bags with Moog 4Runner springs, so I have the spring conversion kit in there. Wish I would have gone ahead and done a lift right away, but I wasn't sure what the plan was just yet. That cost was as follows:

Metal-Tech Rear Conversion ($80) - Amazon
Upper Prado Spring Isolator ($150) - eBay (??)
Moog Rear 4Runner Springs ($51) - eBay

I'm sure these costs are well known to most of the people on here, but I want to have a good reference for my total cost of this build (or maybe I won't at some point!).

Just got a call that the 17x8 wheels are out of stock... Going with 17x9 +0 instead, hopefully no inside rubbing issues.

I had 5100s and 884s (on lowest setting) on my Tacoma and I loved the ride.

You'll have to let us know how much lift the 884s give you.

nice GX

what did you use to build the 4Runner? got friend who just one got one, looks good

I had 5100s and 884s (on lowest setting) on my Tacoma and I loved the ride.

You'll have to let us know how much lift the 884s give you.

That's good to hear! My wife will be driving this car when she has to take our newborn around, so I didn't want something that's too stiff.

I got the rears on yesterday, will post some pics and a review in a bit.

Quick pic showing the results of the rear lift and 5% tint. I also wetsanded the old awful pinstripe off and buffed/polished back to a really nice finish. Slowly planning on buffing/polishing the entire car, even though it's going to sit outside.

DVasWb3.jpg

nice GX

what did you use to build the 4Runner? got friend who just one got one, looks good

Wish I had more information for you... I really didn't do anything on the 4Runner aside from replace the lower ball joints and put on those wheels and tires. It definitely sat higher than stock but I'm not sure what the setup was on it.

Getting some 285/70/17 Pathfinder All-Terrains mounted on the MK6s tomorrow morning. Going to finish up the front suspension on Sunday and get everything on that day, hopefully.

Front lift and wheels/tires are ON! I wish that I could say that it was easy, but my front suspension install attempt ended with a tow to a local shop to have them do it. My spring compressors were not sufficient to get the OME springs compressed enough to get on the 5100s. Anyway, I'm relatively local to 4WheelParts so I took it to them and they got it in and out in half a day. Picked it up today and mounted the wheels/tires as soon as I got it home (despite tornadoes bearing down on us), and I'm very happy. I think the running boards need to be removed, because it's rubbing slightly and my wife does not like that haha. Quick pic, I'll get some more once these storms have passed.

41857347021_3549e044f5_b.jpg

What notch did they put those 884s on? Looks really high, no?

What notch did they put those 884s on? Looks really high, no?

They're just on the second notch. They called and spoke to ARB and that was their suggestion for the tire size. It might look a little higher because of the slope of the driveway and because they were just put on this morning. I'll get some pics on level ground soon.

Lookin good!

Looks possibly just a little bit higher in the front to me but mine has quite a bit of rake. Get another pic in some good lighting and it'll tell the tale. Mine is 21" fenderlip to center of hub on the fronts and 23.5" in the back. Basically a thumb's length and I may move up to the 3rd perch for .84" more to level it out some aesthetically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom