Problems swapping LHD 3b into RHD 1981 BJ-44 w/2B (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rockaway Beach, NY; but was 14yrs in Saskatoon, CA
I need to know if there are huge problems swapping in a left side drive 3b with 5 speed and transfer case that goes 2-4-4-N-4 low into a 1981 BJ-44 with a 2B and right sided drive , 4 speed, and a transfer case with just 4 up 4 down and an electric switch to activate the front differential. (Yeah, I know rhd & lhd might make no difference, but I figured I would say it anyway).

Many of you might have seen my latest thread about how the BJ-44 I was told had a great engine turns out to have a turd of an engine:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-...st-i-am-really-pissed-kolly-classic-cars.html

Fortunately I have a friend w/ a 3B/5speed/transfer case combo he says is in good shape.

I will start her up and see what I find.

If all goes well, any issues I might expect?

Any fittment problems?

And where (if necessary) might I get my drive shafts re-sized? I am in Midwest Canada.

TIA,

T

Last edited:
Swapping the engine should be no big deal - you will have to fiddle a bit with the accelerator cable set up I would imagine.

The swap of the 5 speed in place of the 4 speed is more involved, and there are plenty of threads on the main 40/55 series forum detailing that swap.

Driveshaft shortening and lengthening is pretty mundane - if you can't find a local shot to do it, there are specialty shops you can find, on the web, that can make up any length of driveshaft you want.

Basically, if your original engine is a B series engine, then swapping a 3B in place is pretty much a direct bolt up. Engine mounts are where they need to be, exhaust routing is where it needs to be, etc. It's much more of a hassle switching H-series engines in for B-series, or vice versa, since these series are arranged in mirror-image layout to one-another, for some reason.

Hello,
The difference between the 4 speed and 5 speed is aprox 3 1/2". If you have the 4 speed with the sandwich housing the driveshaft length will be the same.
Good luck and enjoy
eric

use the original engine mounts on the 3B
use the bell housing from the B since it will have the tranny mounts there (if pre 79) and that saves having to manufacture a tranny cross member. if post 79 then it is a direct bolt up.
driveshafts will need to be modified in either case.

the exhaust first foot or so will need to be changed since ht e B is a 2 bolt patter and the 3B is a 3 bolt pattern.
swap the senders from the B into the 3B for sake of easy wiring
use the glow plugs and wires from the B in the 3B

turn the key and start driving...

Thanks 1 and all!

I will begin reading I guess on the 5 speed differences. If I can't find the stuff, I guess I will repost w/ specific questions.

I guess the biggest dilema will be deciding later if I want to use the power steering from the LHD 3B/60 series donor vehicle, given that I am RHD. Currently I am armstrong steering, and as I want to wheel, I need to insert power. The donor vehicle has axles and all, so I guess I have a bunch of stuff already.

First I will do engine/tranny. That is enough to begin with. Later I will consider the power steering. I think 1 thing at a time is best, as pulling an engine is really not that big a hassle should I decide to swap over to lhd from rhd.

Best,

T

Hello,
The difference between the 4 speed and 5 speed is aprox 3 1/2". If you have the 4 speed with the sandwich housing the driveshaft length will be the same.
Good luck and enjoy
eric

What do I look for to tell if I have a sandwhich housing? I have heard of this, but I am not sure what the part(s) look like.

I have a Japanese BJ-44, so it has some odd-ball stuff in it. That means I might have such a housing, if I know what to look for.

Best,

T

LHD power steering box does nto work on a RHD vehicle...

Thanks Crush:

Understood. That is why I figured I would keep the LHD power steering hydraulic compressor unit, and keep all the other parts until I have time and temperature to do this right.

I will just do the engine/tranny/t-case for now. That is an easy job w/ a cherry picker and some measurements to tell the machine shoppe how to re-adjust the drive shaft lengths. Maybe a quick tube bend to make a tranny support.

I will spend the Winter researching how to swap RHD to LHD. Preparation never hurts.

Best and thanks (although I already knew),

T

Edit:
my mess up this is for a 40 series not a 44 series
end Edit

the rear drive shaft wll be 3.5" shorter (and i strongly recommend a CV driveshaft shorted (the tube will be exactly 2" long))
the front driveshaft will be 3.5" longer...

Last edited:
you have a tranny support cross member or bell housing tranny support, i bleive you have the crossmember in which case the mount shoudl line right up with the H55F tranny mounts...

the rear drive shaft wll be 3.5" shorter (and i strongly recommend a CV driveshaft shorted (the tube will be exactly 2" long))

What do you mean, in words that a kid might understand?

ie.: what do you mean by a cv shorted?

What exactly is 2" long?

Sorry for being slow, but I am a decent mechanic when I know the terminology, and I don't yet know FJ terms.

Best,

T

Edit:
my mess up this is for a 40 series not a 44 sereis
end edit

the front driveshaft on a 81/82 BJ60 had a constant velocity joint.
you take this driveshaft and cut the tube down to 2" eactly from weld to weld (or the length of he TUBE part of the driveshaft) so:
mounting flange - C/Vjoint - u/joint, - slip joint - 2" driveshaft tube - u/joint - mounting flange

Last edited:
the front driveshaft on a 81/82 BJ60 had a constant velocity joint.
you take this driveshaft and cut the tube down to 2" eactly from weld to weld (or the length of he TUBE part of the driveshaft) so:
mounting flange - C/Vjoint - u/joint, - slip joint - 2" driveshaft tube - u/joint - mounting flange

Is that 2" for a SWB? TOBASH is talking about his 44.

Ah Ha... good catch. this is for the 40 (2283mm wheelbase) so the rear driveshaft is longer on a 44 (2430 mm wheel base) so a CV is not a necesity..

LOL!! man that would have sucked.

front is still 3.5" longer
rear will be 3.5" shorter which is cheaper than building a new shaft.

thanks Folsom

Ah Ha... good catch. this is for the 40 (2283mm wheelbase) so the rear driveshaft is longer on a 44 (2430 mm wheel base) so a CV is not a necesity..

LOL!! man that would have sucked.

front is still 3.5" longer
rear will be 3.5" shorter which is cheaper than building a new shaft.

thanks Folsom

Both of you guys (Crushers and Folsom) rock.

Nice that I swing an extra 14 or so inches. Helps me keep my head up high. I guess the exra length makes for a better BJ.

All puns intended.

Thanks one and all,

T

Hello,
Good luck and enjoy
eric

What do I look for to know whether or not I have a "sandwiched" transmission?

Best,

T

What do I look for to know whether or not I have a "sandwiched" transmission?

Best,

T

It's highly unlikely that you have what they are calling a "sandwiched transmission". You can check by simply comparing the 5 speed and the old four speed. The five speed will have a 2 1/2" - 3" extension on the back for the 5th gear. I'd bet the 4 speed does not but if it does then it would be the so called "sandwiched transmission". This is something that is found in much later models from about '85 up.

i do beleive the sandwhich H42 came out in 86 in the 60 series... basicly a 5 speed with no OD...

you will not have the sandwiched tranny in the 44...

If you're interested in reading up on the RHD/LHD conversion, and have some time on your hands, you may wish to take a look at my build thread where I show the process in some detail. Also, on the last page of the thread I specified all the changes necessary to do the conversion. Just follow the link in my signature line...
Further, in terms of the swap you're considering, why not keep the existing tranny and transfer in place, and change out the engines only? I was thinking about going to the 5-speed myself, but elected to keep the H41 and go with rubber overdrive instead (Toyo M55 tires @ 265/85/R16 give me 32.1" diameter wheels). My truck goes all day down the highway at 65 miles per hour, 2800 rpm. Since there's no point in going any faster, I'm no longer thinking the switch to 5 speed is at all needed. Just my $0.02.

Sandwiched transmissions made their debut in the USA in the 1985 model year. This was becuase the 5 speed became stock everywhere else and they didn't want to make two different driveshaft sets anymore.

I have a 1981 BJ44 and I have the standard length (Non Sandwiched) tranny. Interested in selling the blown motor/trans/trans for spares? What went wrong with it?

K

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom