EGR Mod/Removal Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To keep from hijacking Garett's thread anymore....

been reading up on the thread for the EGR delete/fooler/emulator; there is a valid point to the EGR system in that with cooler exhaust temps more advanced timing is used=better power and economy. BUT, is that true for non boosted engines? I have to imagine with the ethenol blend:mad: we run now temps may be cooler already? also, it just makes no sense to mix more inert gasses in one cylinder to cool the total exhaust flow. (I think that is how it works) I'm still reading up on that whole system and it's related threads, tempted to do the mod if only to keep my HG worries at bay.

Well the way the EGR works is it uses a temp sensor to dump exhaust back into the intake. If the temp goes up, it dumps more in there. If it does down, it dumps less. So yes, it does have a cooling effect of sorts, but that's a side effect rather than the primary purpose of it.

As RavenTai posted, once you're above a certain temp the nitrogen can combine to form nX. The EGR's job is to dump 'inert' gas into your intake to keep the temps below that point.

The problem is that the EGR (shouldn't) work at all during idle or at WOT. But if your EGR is busted, then you can still be dumping exhaust into your intake when you shouldn't (a possible cause of low idle.....Tyler remind me that we need to do the FSM test on your EGR).

On the flip side people have driven thousands of miles with a plugged/non-functioning EGR system, where the EGR can't dump any exhaust into the system. No codes (because their temps are within "normal" range), and no change in power or performance. But how are you going to notice a change in power or performance when the EGR only operates at cruising speed (when you're only at maybe 30-40% throttle)?

Unlike earlier vehicles the EGR doesn't run all the time, so while older vehicles the EGR would dump exhaust at WOT, that doesn't happen on an 80. So the inert gas (exhaust) would rob you of power because it'd still kick in at WOT.

There's no performance reasons to remove the EGR, and it's highly doubtful you'll see much (if any) mileage increase.

The only two valid reasons for removing the EGR are:

1. Less carbon being dumped into the intake
  2. Reduce temps in cylinder 6

The EGR is unlikely to effect the overall engine temp by much (and indeed I've read several posts suggesting that the 1FZ actually runs slightly too cool), but it will effect all that hot exhaust gas going into cylinder 6. You might be increasing overall engine temps slightly, but you will be decreasing the temps in cylinder 6 significantly.

Personally, my theory is that if there's less carbon in my intake then my engine is going to run cleaner for longer, because that carbon won't be chewing up my internals and causing leaks or poor performance. So it's a long term win (and also happens to be a pocketbook win if you get out of having to do a HG job!).

The EGR is one of the few emissions contolls that actually does help your motor to be more efficient.

the EGR valve opens at cruise levels becuae the ECM is programmed to lean out the mix while cruising for the sake of mileage and efficiency.

they use the EGR valve to add the burnt exhaust gas to the combustion chambers to cool the leaner mix.
now i am not sure where you guys come up with it only going into one cylinder. i mean yes it enters the plenum near #6 but its an open chamber plenum and #6 isnt sucking the whole time.
in my opinion the EGR would have slim to nothing to do with pushing head gaskets if working right.

and like i said before, there really is no performance to gain by dropping the EGR. it is there for the sake of dropping NOX numbers in the tailpipe.

if you guys want to kill the EGR without removing it, then run free flow exhaust that drops back pressure, then the modulator just wont operate period.

the temp sensor the EGR uses, at least on minis measures the actual EGR gas temp. the ECM expects to see a change in temp of like 50* or something. when it gets a value change from the temp sender, it knows the EGR is actually opening and fucntioning.

I believe the #6 cylinder issue is that the EGR port is intergraded into the exhaust manifold at the head so that the exhaust gas is flowing through a port on the back of the block adjacent to cylinder #6 and then going to a tube attached on the intake side of the head up to the EGR valve. The exhaust gas passing by #6 can create a higher temperature and possible HG failure.

i think what you guys are missing is that they add EGR gas to cool combustion temps.

again, the mini uses a similar plate at the back of #4 to bring the EGR gas around. but also running through that plate is a coolant passage.

is there an 80 series FSM available online so i can read it and get you guys up to speed :flipoff2:

now i am not sure where you guys come up with it only going into one cylinder. i mean yes it enters the plenum near #6 but its an open chamber plenum and #6 isnt sucking the whole time.

It's been pretty well shown that #6 runs significantly hotter than any of the other cylinders. Sure, it's open but it's going to take the path of least resistance and that's straight down #6, with progressively less entering each cylinder the closer you get to #1.

in my opinion the EGR would have slim to nothing to do with pushing head gaskets if working right.

The HG pops almost universally at the #6 cylinder. Now, I suppose it's possible that it's just coincidence that the HG pops where the majority of the exhaust from the EGR is going....and it's just a coincidence that the hottest running cylinder (which is due to the EGR) is the one that pops....and that 1FZ trucks without the EGR almost never have problems with the HG....

But that's an awful big group of coincidences there.

Do you have an alternate explanation as to why the HG pops on cylinder #6?

The EGR is one of the few emissions contolls that actually does help your motor to be more efficient.

That's the theory.

The EGR can fail one of two ways (well, more than two but talking about as a whole), it can fail open or it can fail closed.

If it fails open, then you're always getting the exhaust in the intake. Low idle, possible less power at WOT, and engine running too cool could all be problems.

But the EGR typically doesn't fail open.

Now if it fails closed (say due to the lines being plugged with carbon), then you're not getting any exhaust in the intake at all. This is what people typically see.

A ton of people have reported seeing absolutely zero change in the way the truck runs, gas mileage, power, or anything else after taking their plugged (non-functioning) EGR and fixing it.

Since many of those same people are running with the temp sensor (since they don't realize that their EGR is all plugged up) and not throwing a code, that means that the intake temps are in the correct operating range without the EGR operating.

That along with the fact that there's literally no change in anything with or without it (assuming it's failed closed) tells me that the EGR does very little on the 1FZ.

Now I do know that there are other engines that will perform poorly with EGR. But I don't think that the 1FZ is one of them.

i dont really have an alternate excuse if its a well documented issue.

i dont think its a plague type issue with the cruiser though.

if the HG failure numbers are higher on EGR models that not, that definately says something.

there could be other issues as to why #6 is higher temp other than the EGR.
like for instance, its at the end of the coolant passage meaning the coolant itself is hotter going by that cylinder and cant disapate heat as much. it could be that its crammed against the firewall where no airflow can get back there to disapate heat.

or it could simply be the EGR gasses going by.
seems like i have seen motors where the EGR uses a tube in the intake to better disperse the flow evenly amongst cylinders.

but seriously is ther an online FSM available?

i dont really have an alternate excuse if its a well documented issue.

i dont think its a plague type issue with the cruiser though.

if the HG failure numbers are higher on EGR models that not, that definately says something.

The numbers I seem to remember are about 10% for HG failure. Not *QUITE* enough to do a recall on. Like I said, it's almost always cylinder #6.

All the HG failures I've seen on non-NA spec trucks are usually due to stupidity. IE: "I drove 10 miles on the freeway without coolant."

there could be other issues as to why #6 is higher temp other than the EGR.
like for instance, its at the end of the coolant passage meaning the coolant itself is hotter going by that cylinder and cant disapate heat as much. it could be that its crammed against the firewall where no airflow can get back there to disapate heat.

All very good points.

I'm not sure about the coolant passages. (Garett may be able to chime in there.)

Pretty sure it's not an airflow issue. Especially on trucks without PAIR there's a LOT of room on the passengers side for airflow.

There's something to be said about the heat killing it though. Lots of people pop the HG if they overheat or don't properly maintain their cooling system. That being said lots of people who have done all the PM stuff on the cooling system (blue hub fan, new coolant every year, etc) have popped a HG.

It's bad enough that a fair amount of people do the HG as PM.

seems like i have seen motors where the EGR uses a tube in the intake to better disperse the flow evenly amongst cylinders.

That would be better IMHO. The 1FZ motors were designed to run without EGR, and it's my opinion that the whole EGR system is largely an after-thought (look at the location of the VSV).

but seriously is ther an online FSM available?

Check your PM. ;)

:popcorn:

take that ball and run Gabe, TOUCHDOWN!''

:grinpimp::grinpimp:

My EGR modulator is filled with coolant :(

So I "accidentally" got some JB Weld into my EGR modulator. I'm now getting the Insufficient flow CEL about once a day. I'm actually pretty surprised at how little it's showing up, considering it should be completely blocked.

I think I'm going to leave it at that, and just add the resistor to prevent the CEL. Radio Shack sells them in packs of two, so I'm going to be doing both mine and the :princess: rig here soon.

I was considering doing a plate to block off the EGR tube, but I'm not sure it's needed anymore. I keep meaning to do the real test, drive it on the freeway for a while, and then touch the EGR tube. If it's cool to the touch (relatively speaking), it's disabled. If you leave skin on it, it's still flowing.

If it's still flowing I will then put in a blocking plate (easy to do).

I have some BB's that may accidentally find their way into the EGR modulating tubing, doing the same thing less permanently, trouble is I have no temp sensor in the EGR to mod with resistors. thoughts??

I have some BB's that may accidentally find their way into the EGR modulating tubing, doing the same thing less permanently, trouble is I have no temp sensor in the EGR to mod with resistors. thoughts??

What do you mean you have no temp sensor? How does the ECU know if the EGR is functioning or not? :confused:

EGR temp sensors were only on CA vehicles till the mid 90's when they became standard.

True, but my understanding was that all US Cruisers were all spec'd to meet CA standards, even in '91.

I'm sure they all meet CA standards, but some would have had a "CA Emissions package" or something similar I would assume.

this is my guess, ^^ My truck was ordered and delivered in Eugene, it's born on date is 2/93, so just barely got the FZJ:rolleyes: but interesting that the temp probe is AWOL if they all came CA spec. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom