42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here it is, in all it's glory. Was funny watching the dude jump start it on the road outside my place, clouds of smoke, no muffler, bouncing like an sob as it tried to start with no glow....:lol: wish I'd taken a video...

No name yet, tho I'm sure something will present itself...I'd briefly considered something along the lines of "Raffy" because , in the delicate, flowery and oh, so eloquent prose of The Crustaceous One, it's Rusty as F'ing F....:lol:

I was a bit worried as I drove it out back to take the h/t and doors off that the seat was going to fall into a tire or some other rotating whizjammer, but aside from the roll bar contacting the tire briefly, which caused a rather alarming noise and the roll bar to make a vigourous pulsating cyclic motion around my head, it made it into the garage under it's own power, which is more than I can say for the last couple trucks I've built....

Took about 3 hours to get the tub off it. Most of it didn't require tools other than a crowbar...:lol: the rear deck and fender wells were basically carpet and plywood.

But way I figger, if it needs a tub , it needs a tub.

If the frame is good, and this one is, then the worst tub in the world is in effect no different than a tub with medium rust, both need replacement..

It's like being a little bit pregnant...

also have a pile of body parts in the driveway that came with it I need to move to the goat barn...:grinpimp:

and some pics to show how purty it was....:eek:

Sept_2010_003.jpg

Sept_2010_001.jpg

and , how it looks now, after a couple hours with the sawzall...

Sept_2010_008.jpg

Next is some vigourous wire wheeling, and some rust converting and painting, then I'll wheel the new tub into the garagemahal for some love.

Looks like I'll be needing to whip up another set of fbg fenders...I may use the 70 series signals I have, we'll see when I get that far.

Needs paint :hillbilly:

Naaaah, it'll buff right out...

...put a Rover body on it!?:flipoff2:

I might fix the parking brake before I test it out...:flipoff2:

If I were rollin in the loot like you dang alberta commutin' victorians, I might go with aqualu, but if you squint and turn your head sideways at that first pic....

Just about ready to hose down the back half of the frame with some paint, and drag the truck outta the shop to tip the cowl off it, and sweep up the rubble in the garage...

needless to say, this is not one of those super anal resto's where every day little toyota baggies of parts are showing up from japan...:lol:

and on the parts front, anyone got a spare hump? :hillbilly:

How good is the extra tub you got?

not bad, good floors and wheel wells, I'll have to make up a rear sill, and some patches here and there on the sides, but all in all, not bad.

It's an older one tho, so I'll have to fxxx around a bit to get things fitting right. Be nice if it was the modern style, but whatever. gives me more choices for seating, tho I'll have to get a 40 fuel tank.

Only came with the one spare that I'll be swapping on to it, looking to get the bottom cleaned up and painted and drop it onto the frame pretty soon, so I can figger out how to get things to fit.

cheers,
r

Yeah, I haven't quite figgered out the fuel tank thing yet. I may grab some aluminum and make one, but it'll probably get the gerry can in the passenger seat treatment for a bit...

Need another 3b??

and some more progress this morning...

I'm leaving the front clip intact for the moment, it'll make it easier to figger out exactly where the new tub has to sit. old tub, new frame, things will probably get weird...

dragged it out and pressure washed everything, and pulled the better tub into the shop.

Sept_2010_011.jpg

Sept_2010_012.jpg

and the better tub...tho it'd be tough for it to be worse.:lol:
Sept_2010_015.jpg

anyone want a cowl for some patch panels? going to the dump otherwise.

Yeah, I haven't quite figgered out the fuel tank thing yet. I may grab some aluminum and make one, but it'll probably get the gerry can in the passenger seat treatment for a bit...

Why not just get a newer old style one.

Why not just get a newer old style one.

yep, that's an option too. I'll have to see what turns up tho, I've heard the poly ones suck , and well, I only visit the toyota dealer when all other options have been explored...

I'll have a bit of a "parts wanted" list growing, but there's a couple corners of the goat barn I haven't explored in a while...so I'm holding off.

Just discovered I have a wiring harness to fit this truck in a box out there, which is rather nice, this one has some traumatic evidence of previous molestations....:hmm:

throw a lawn chair on that thing, hockey helmet a-la-Bubbles, and lets go wheelin'!!!:flipoff2:

heh, shoulda been there for drivin it around the back yard with the old tub, lawn chair and helmet's not far off, and mighta been safer...jeeeebus, shades of the old crackwhore when I first bought it...:lol:

got to this point today, bought a case of beer....so not much else going to happen this afternoon....:hillbilly:

Sept_2010_017.jpg

Sept_2010_018.jpg

Naaaah, it'll buff right out...

I might fix the parking brake before I test it out...:flipoff2:

If I were rollin in the loot like you dang alberta commutin' victorians, I might go with aqualu, but if you squint and turn your head sideways at that first pic....

Just about ready to hose down the back half of the frame with some paint, and drag the truck outta the shop to tip the cowl off it, and sweep up the rubble in the garage...

needless to say, this is not one of those super anal resto's where every day little toyota baggies of parts are showing up from japan...:lol:

and on the parts front, anyone got a spare hump? :hillbilly:

Spare tranny hump?

I've got a somewhat cut up one that will be being removed from my truck. What sort of time line you looking at?

Mods include moved shifters (350) and a notch where the battery is mounted under seat. Rust includes a hole along the side by the drivers heal.

Let me know if your interested... There may be better options.:hmm:

I'd trade you it for the part I'm missing to use a fourspeed type transfer shifter, and a hand installing the newer tranny hump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom