Restoration reccomendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knowledge

Hi,

Before people start recommending places...
What is your end goal of this restoration and what are your financial limits?

Do you intend on a full frame off or a rust patching job on the tub?

As well do you intend to do the majority of work?

I just want to get a picture of your goals, so I can point you to a applicable places.

Cheers

Karol

Thinking of doing a frame off restoration and would like to do as much as I can myself.
I have limited resources as far as equipment goes eg: sandblaster, welder,painting.....
This is new to me so any suggestions would be helpful.
tks

I support your choice of a frame off restoration, a 30 year old cruiser deserves it! This route of work will provide the best accessibility to all the components in the vehicle.
With a frame off restoration you will need plenty of space for: storage of the tub / hard top, frame, axles, motor / transmission / transfer case, and all interior pieces.
A good set of metric sockets / wrenches will be needed, an engine hoist is needed to remove the motor, an assortment of hand tools and an impact driver is a nice addition.

Sandblasting options include: renting a sand blaster, buying one or go to Prairie Sand Blasting off of 17 st NE.
Painting: take it to a professional or hire a friend who paints.
Welding: buy a mig, rent a mig, let the body shop do the welding for you or find a buddy willing to lay down some beads

Buy yourself an FSM (factory service manual) for your BJ42 to better understand the components, functions, location and the maintenance involved with each system.

I'm Ok with the tools except for the engine hoist which can be taken care of ... I'm pretty sure the tub will have to be replaced and the front fenders. I have a lead on some fenders but getting a tub may be a issue. Any suggestions on getting body parts?..............
tks

Last edited:
Parts you ask?

Kijiji has parts quite often.
Search Calgary & Edmonton frequently.
In Edmonton try 4 Wheel Auto.

Also try Ryan at HillTop Cruisers in Sundre, AB.

There are also a few shops out on the West Coast...

you can still get factory fenders for about 250ish a side and then...for body work i had a really good experience with Doug's Place 2 last year and would go there without hesitation if i needed body work done

Well I have decided to replace fenders, front and rear, rear quarter panels and whatever else required rather than do the tub replacement. Not sure wether this is a good decision or not. Purchased a Miller Maxstar welder and a sandblasting cabinet. Going to do most of the body work first then the frame. It's going to be a long project as my hours are limited. I'll post some pics once I get organized.

Looking forward to the pictures!
Unless a tub is completely rotten, I am all for patch panels and rear sill replacements.
An aftermarket tub will never look the same as an original one.
Make a build thread, either here or in the diesel section, pictures make us happy!

Looking forward to seeing your build. Yours will probably be done before mine. Mine are taking forever.

Hey Oldmancruiser,
I may be of some assistance, I just finished a resto job on a 1965 Impala SS, did everything but paint it in my 20x20 garage. I have lots of welding experience and would suggest you take some pointers BEFORE you start cutting out sheet metal, it will save you some grief in the end. I would also suggest starting with the frame, you won't be as sad when you drop something on it! ( I know this from experience) EVERYTHING you remove needs to be catalogued and stored neatly, throwing parts in a bucket doesn't work
I can lend you pretty much anything you need ie: engine hoist/stand, sandblaster/spotblaster, paint gun (primer only), sanders and the like. I would suggest you invest in a decent air compressor (I'm not willing to part with mine!) I'm in Sherwood Park as well, PM me if you need a hand... I like this stuff!

Stay focused my freind, or I'll be buying your half done project for pennies on the dollar.;)

Just a heads up when Fenders were mentioned...
Diesel (BJ42) fenders do not exist any longer. T0Y0TA discontinued them recently.
IF your fenders are salvageable, I would try to do restore them before buying aftermarket fenders.

Any progress???

I did manage to get some fenders. I have started to strip it down.
I was going to start a thread.... thought it might be a bit repetitive of others but
thinking on how much it has helped me I am going to start one soon .... here on the local ca-ab.
Some very nice and helpful people here and I do appreciate it.

Who hoo! finally got some parts, floor, rear wells, both rear quarter panels and other goodies. Now some nice weather is needed.
Here is a few pics ........
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg

The end is near

Well it has been about 2 years. Didn't work on it last winter at all. Thought I would post a few pics for those that are interested. I am at last down to the roof, doors and (many) odds and ends.
I have to thank Dan and Don at 4Wheel auto for their awsome support and knowledge they were so willing to pass along! I would also like to mention Barry at Canada Car Color who helped with paint questions.
Enjoy, I will post others later.

_DSC1273.jpg

_DSC1258.jpg

_DSC1750.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom