State trust land permit $ increases (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought you guys would want to know.

mad.gif
frown.gif
If you need a new permit or are close, you might want to get it before the end of the month!
mad.gif
frown.gif

And apparently the "Family" permit has also been changed to only cover family members up until they are 14 years old. I bet even less city idiots will buy them now. I can understand needing to raise the price some, but holy ****.

FROM THE STATE TRUST LAND WEB SITE:

Fiscal Year 2009 Fee Increases
(Phoenix, July 22, 2008) -- Balancing the State’s fiscal year 2009 budget was very difficult due to a shortfall of about two billion dollars. The Land Department was not exempt from budget cuts and our budget was reduced by $3,155,500, or about 14%. As part of the Land Department’s budget reduction, the Land Commissioner was instructed to offset $600,000 in reductions with increased fees (Laws 2008, Chapter 291, Section 12). The Department primarily charges application fees for use of State Trust land. These fees have not been adjusted since 1990 and were in need of adjustment. Prior to the passage of the fiscal year 2009 budget, the Department analyzed the fees and the Department’s cost for processing applications, which enabled the Department to quickly enact this new legislation.
The following table lists the new application fees effective August 1, 2008. The new fees will remain effective until June 30, 2009, unless extended by the Legislature. The Department will accept applications with the pre-August 1, 2008 fees if it is postmarked prior to August 1, 2008. Additionally, the Department will accept any fees due after August 1, 2008, that were billed using the old rates.

Type of Application New Fee

Agricultural and Grazing – New (per section or fraction thereof)
$150

Agricultural and Grazing – Renew
$200

Commercial – New less than 10 years
$1,000

Commercial – New 10 years or more (long term)
$2,000

Commercial – Renew (includes homesite)
$1,000

Assignments – lease, permit, right of way, certificate of purchase

Name change only assignment
$500

Partial assignment of a Commercial Lease – 10 years or more (long term)
$2,500

All other assignments
$1,000

Application to Place Improvement
$150

Application to Place Improvement without Prior Approval
$200

Application for Land Treatment
$150

Special Land Use Permits – New or Renew
$300

Application to Amend General
$100

Sublease
$200

Amendments for Commercial Lease – less than 10 years
$500

Amendments for Commercial Lease – 10 years or more (long term)
$1,000

Right of Way – New or Renew
$500

Temporary Right of Entry
$100

Application to Purchase
$2,000

Certificate of Purchase (Issuance)
$1,000

Patent (Issuance)
$200

Application for Partial Patent
$1,000

Natural Products – Commercial Timber
$200

Natural Products – Incidental Use Permit
$200

Natural Products – Water
$500

Mineral Material
$500

Mineral Exploration (New or Renew)
$500

Oil & Gas (New or Renew)
$500

Geothermal
$500
Recreational Annual Use – Individual
$50

Recreational Permits (Group) Less 5 days
$50

Recreational Annual Use – Family
$75

Urban Planning Classification
$1,000

Urban Planning Development
$1,000

Lease Reinstatement
$300

In-lieu Selection
$100,000

* Fees not listed remain as stated in A.R.S. 37-108

WOW a 55 dollar increase for family permits THAT SUCKS!!!

:eek::eek::flipoff2:

Howdy! I would be surprised if the cost of penalties doesn't go up also. John

Good thing I've never needed one. I certainly won't buy one now.

Howdy! I wonder if we can still get one this month at the old price? There is a good chance that I may drive across State Trust Land at some time in the next 12 months. John

... There is a good chance that I may drive across State Trust Land at some time in the next 12 months. John

Last time I checked you don't need one to drive across State Trust Land, only if you want to camp, etc.

Great! Higher taxes in the guise of "fees" :rolleyes:

Considering our horrible governor and her incompetence with the state budget, it's not surprising. Sorry to get political it just frosts me. Go McCain!

Good thing I've never needed one. I certainly won't buy one now.

Game and fish, right?

Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a loop hole here.

Just toss a slingshot in your glove box, and at the same time you'll be supporting Az's wildlife.

(Until, AZGFD raises it's fees).

Great! Higher taxes in the guise of "fees" :rolleyes:

Considering our horrible governor and her incompetence with the state budget, it's not surprising. Sorry to get political it just frosts me. Go McCain!

You're sorry to get political, but you just couldn't stop before throwing out an endorsement?:rolleyes:

I'd be sorry to get political too, so I won't. I like talking about Toyotas and trails here.

:confused: The whole country's economy is bad. People are spenting less because of it meaning lost revenue for the state. Money has to come from somewhere. Which means cuts in some places and increases in others. But this is the fault of the AZ Governor.

I was at meeting that a rep from the forest service was talking. Budget cuts were so deep that in the past fire fighting was 15% of their budget now it's over 50%. Because they can't cut the fire fighting cost everything else is. So in Coconino forest their going to be closing a lot of forest service road since there's no money for road maintenance or patrols. Can't blame the AZ governor for a federal problem.

Game and fish, right?

Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a loop hole here.

Just toss a slingshot in your glove box, and at the same time you'll be supporting Az's wildlife.

(Until, AZGFD raises it's fees).

For as long as I can remember, the only time I've needed access to State Trust Land, I was hunting. So if I have my license and my gun, I'm good to go on STL.
For the 3 years I had a permit provided by the club, I never once needed it.

:confused: The whole country's economy is bad. People are spenting less because of it meaning lost revenue for the state. Money has to come from somewhere. Which means cuts in some places and increases in others. But this is the fault of the AZ Governor.

I was at meeting that a rep from the forest service was talking. Budget cuts were so deep that in the past fire fighting was 15% of their budget now it's over 50%. Because they can't cut the fire fighting cost everything else is. So in Coconino forest their going to be closing a lot of forest service road since there's no money for road maintenance or patrols. Can't blame the AZ governor for a federal problem.

If it's a federal problem why is the state collecting the "fees"?

Local, state and federal government already has far more of our tax dollars than they need. The money has to come from somewhere? How about reducing waste? How about lowering taxes? That's right, LOWERING taxes. Every single time it's been tried, it always works. Americans love to spend money. Tax them way less and guess what? They'll spend it. Which means more sales tax revenue. Reduce taxes to companies, they will invest and hire more workers, and they will have money to spend and sales tax revenue will increase. Again. And the "user fees" wouldn't be so easy to justify, would they?

And to reiterate: Yes the state budget problems and state economy are the governor's fault. I guarantee you if the state economy was roaring she'd be taking credit for it. Well guess what: it works both ways my friend...

Whew rant off... so when's Payette again? :D

You're sorry to get political, but you just couldn't stop before throwing out an endorsement?:rolleyes:

I'd be sorry to get political too, so I won't. I like talking about Toyotas and trails here.

Me too. Sorry about that. Go Toyota! Go Land Cruiser! Go Wheeling! Whoopee!

:whisper: go mccain :/whisper:

Me too. Sorry about that. Go Toyota! Go Land Cruiser! Go Wheeling! Whoopee!

:whisper: go mccain :/whisper:

:lol:

As far as a hunting license, a state official checked mine once and said as long as I was hunting lizards (wink, wink), I was good to go. I told him rabbits tasted better...

The biggest probelm with the fee increases at the state land department is that they were done with no public input. The budget passed by the legislature, (which was basically the governors budget proposal) papered over about a billion dollars in debt through borrowing and rolling over bills due this year.

The budget also gave several agencies including DPS, State Land Department etc. the ability to increase fees (to whatever they wanted) with no rulemaking process, no economic impact study, with no limit to what they can raise and no limitiation on creating new fees. The other part of the fee increases is that funds created by these new fees can be swept into the general fund to help offset the budget deficits.

Everyone in this state should be outraged about this!! There is a reason it takes a 2/3 vote to raise taxes and that is the primary reason the legislature went this route. I would suggest dropping a line to your state legislators and let them know this little tax increase did not go unnoticed.

Sorry about the rant guys, this is about all I have been working on for the Last couple weeks and it pisses me off!!

Howdy! I wonder if we can still get one this month at the old price? There is a good chance that I may drive across State Trust Land at some time in the next 12 months. John
Howdy! If you agree with the permit in principal, but not the recent fee increase, then apply with a postmark before 1 August, and it is still just $15. Arizona State Land Department | Programs | Natural Resources | Recreational Permitting and Off-Highway Vehicle

While you don't need a permit to drive across State Trust Land on "a highway or public (graded)road", it is required for running on trails/camping. To me, it's kinda like car insurance, I'd rather have it and not need it, than, the other way around.

The way the ecconomy is now, Az will probably sell it all off and then we don't have to worry about it, off course that means private property and NO access. I'm just teasing; it'll never happen. John

I see different understandings of the law here. I was under the impression that a permit was needed even for travel on the road/land. Without it you are trespassing (whether you're driving, camping or whatever)? No?

Alvin: You've never been to the Coke Ovens? Many places around FJ are on State Trust Land.

I ask because I'd actually like to :flipoff2: on buying the permit. $75 is a rip-off and I promise you that all the butt wipes on quads won't pay for them. I don't know....I hate cheating.....I don't camp out there, I drive. I think being on the land requires a permit, period. No??

I just got my answer. You need them period for four wheeling. See below:

Q: Why do I need a permit to go on State Trust land for recreation purposes and how do I obtain a recreational permit?

Arizona State Trust lands are not "public lands", as are Federal lands under the management of the U.S. Forest Service or the Bureau of Land Management. Federal "public lands" are managed for the benefit and use of the public, while State Trust lands are managed for the benefit of 14 Trust beneficiaries, which include the public schools and prisons. The Land Department's trust management responsibilities include requiring a permit or lease and charging a fee for use of Trust land. Exceptions to this requirement are licensed hunters and fishers, actively pursuing game or fish, in-season, and certain archaeological activities permitted by the Arizona State Museum.

Recreational permits are available for an individual ($15), family ($20), group of fewer than 20 persons for less than 5 days ($15), and non-profit group, for specific events or a 1 year period ($50). These permits are valid for one year from the date of purchase.

Recreational permits are issued for non-commercial activities such as camping (14 day limit), hiking, photography, horseback riding, picnicking, bird watching, motorized and non-motorized use on trails, and other forms of non-consumptive recreation. Any activity which is commercial in nature, requires a Commercial Lease or Special Land Use Permit.

Activities not allowed include, but are not limited to, target shooting, sighting-in of weapons, paint ball games, fireworks, extended camping, visiting archaeological sites (historic and prehistoric), metal detecting and removal of natural products (rocks, cactus wood, soil, sand, plants, etc.).

Permits can be obtained through the mail by calling 602.364.ASLD (2753), or by visiting the Land Department office in Phoenix, Tucson or Flagstaff, or by visiting the Arizona Public Lands Information Center in Phoenix.

* Trails run on both public lands and State Trust land so a State Land Department Recreation Permit
is required.

DO YOU NEED AN ASLD RECREATIONAL PERMIT?

You do not need an ASLD Recreational Permit if you are actually hunting or fishing on State land with a valid hunting or fishing license issued by the Arizona Game and Fish Department. All other recreational activities require an ASLD Recreational Permit. Commercial recreational activities or recreational events that charge a participation fee, i.e. hot air balloon rides, jeep tours, hayrides, horseback rides, bicycle races, equestrian events, ultra light aircraft, etc., may be considered under an ASLD Special Land Use Permit, but not under an ASLD Recreational Permit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom