4Runner brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past weekend we took the 4runner up to Yosemite for some scenery and
hiking. Coming down the hills my steering wheel began to pulse and vibrate
heavely. It felt like my brakes we not up to the task. I never had much fade,
just way too much vibration. This seemed to subside once I got down into
the flatands(Fresno). I currently have 68,000mi on my 2001. Curious as to
what kind of brake job (parts) I should go with when I have the brakes done.
My 2000 Tacoma does not exibit anything like this.

Well, there's a lot to consider. The runner is heavier than the taco, and rotor warp has been a big gripe. Since it's an '01 runner it has the 16" wheels, so you could swap over to the tundra brakes, with larger rotors & pads. Of course OEM seems to be the brand of choice, and brembo rotors. From what others have expressed, I wouldn't worry about the whole drilled & slotted stuff. As for other brands? I've been satisfied with performace friction pads, but I don't get caught up in all the hype.

For trial & error purposes, could get your rotors turned, new pads, and go from there. Go back up to Yosemite (that would just be horrible :flipoff2:), see if it's better.

Personally I noticed a change going to stainless braided lines, flushing the system and some synthetic fluid. May also check that the rear drums are adjusted (do you ever use the e-brake?), maybe check the drum pads. I should probably do my brakes, just been messing with other stuff.

Thanks Flatland, I was wondering about Tundra brakes...It must be rotor warp. I have ordered numerous times from Performance and get their catalog. I think the Tundra brakes might be the way to go...either way, it will be $$$.

the rear brakes being out of adjustment warped the front rotors on mine. I adjusted the rear drums, replaced the warped rotors with plain brembo rotors and some prem. wagner pads and I couldn't be happier:p

my $.02

I know all the rage is to swap to Tundra rotors and calipers- BUT, I've had great success with good domestic rotors and the upgraded brake pad from Toyota. A buddy of mine looked up my 98 4Runner Limited (16" wheels) on Mitchell OnLine and said there was a suggested Toyota brake pad that addressed rotor warping. I ordered the pads from CruiserDan at American Toyota, replaced the warped rotors under warranty from Advance AutoParts, installed the new pads, 22,000 miles ago, towed trailers, highway driving, etc. No warping now!

I'm sure the Tundra upgrade fixes the problem, but so does the less expensive, less laborious solution listed above.

My $.02.

Luke

what type of pads are the OEM? I just replaced mine with ceramic pads from napa. They were the premium reybestos so probably not the greatest. Anyway the were like $60 for a set. They seem to work fairly well. I do have a ltd. so it has the bigger of the factory front brakes. The only gripe is that they produce a lot of brake dust. I'm wandering if I should change them out for OEM, as I do tow my sailboat a lot in the summer. I need em done quick and didn't have time to research the options.

I guess FWIW I've never had an issue with the brakes on my 4runner.

I'll see if I can figure out what the part number was from CDan. They weren't very expensive, seems like I remember them being about $36 for a set.

Luke

My 2002 4Runner had the same problem. I know Tundra brakes would have solved the issue (and future issues), but I thought I'd give the stock-sized rotors another try. I felt the Tundra brakes were a bit of an overkill, since I do not tow like crazy.

This time, I went with Autozone Duralast rotors. They come with a 2 year warranty, so if they warp, just take them in and get new ones. Then, I got some ceramic pads (also from Autozone). The new set up worked great, and even coming down the canyon from the ski resorts (which means constantly riding the brakes), I felt no fade at all. I would have liked to try the Hawk LTS pads from Tirerack (great reviews), but I needed them done that day. I put on 20k miles after that and they performed awesome. I purposely rode the brakes all the way down the canyon one time, and still felt hardly any fade.

x2 what Luke said

I know all the rage is to swap to Tundra rotors and calipers- BUT, I've had great success with good domestic rotors and the upgraded brake pad from Toyota. A buddy of mine looked up my 98 4Runner Limited (16" wheels) on Mitchell OnLine and said there was a suggested Toyota brake pad that addressed rotor warping. I ordered the pads from CruiserDan at American Toyota, replaced the warped rotors under warranty from Advance AutoParts, installed the new pads, 22,000 miles ago, towed trailers, highway driving, etc. No warping now!

end luke's quote....

I followed Luke's advice before and he was dead on. Unless you are towing or have a real heavy brake foot- the Tundra brake upgrade is overkill for most of us Runner owners.

Toyota makes an upgrade disc pad set and those green backed units have made a huge difference in my braking confidence and no warping. I chose to get Brembo rotors(not slotted nor drilled) but yours may be able to be saved or choose your own either original equipment or aftermarket.

Aftermarket pads were around $60 at the dealership and the new rotors were around $110. You can certainly spend less but this combo is an excellent one.

I used Auto Parrts Warehouse free shipping over $100 and rotors aren't light.

they also have a deal going almost all the time like another $5 off so some such attraction. You sign up for their emails and they will sling a deal at you like once a week....

Brake pad part #04465-35240
Brake rotor part # With 16" Wheels 43512-35210, Without 16" Wheels 43512-04020

Thanks Don! Were those #'s for Auto parrts warehouse or toyota?

Sorry, those are Toyota part numbers off of AllData.

BTW, where are you located? Have you been over to the Central Valley Crawlers forum?

Sorry, those are Toyota part numbers off of AllData.

BTW, where are you located? Have you been over to the Central Valley Crawlers forum?

I'm here in Visalia as well. I met some of the guys from Central Valley Crawlers a couole months ago. They gave me a flyer in regards to their
monthly meeting place. Do you offroad with them? BTW thanks for the brake info!

Has anyone used this combination with 33s M/T tires? I notice my brakes are a bit soft even after complete replacement in back with new drums (adjusted).

end luke's quote....

I followed Luke's advice before and he was dead on. Unless you are towing or have a real heavy brake foot- the Tundra brake upgrade is overkill for most of us Runner owners.

Toyota makes an upgrade disc pad set and those green backed units have made a huge difference in my braking confidence and no warping. I chose to get Brembo rotors(not slotted nor drilled) but yours may be able to be saved or choose your own either original equipment or aftermarket.

Aftermarket pads were around $60 at the dealership and the new rotors were around $110. You can certainly spend less but this combo is an excellent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom