Another homemade, DIY, aluminum roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just thought I would share my creation from last week here. Obviously inspired by the J-Moose rack, with some subtle modifications. I did a full 3" outside edge, to create a low profile basket style rack.

I used 8 shorty bulldog 2.0 clamps from diamondrax - Introducing the NEW "Bulldog 2.0" Heavy Duty Rain Gutter Clamps - Exclusively from DiamondRax! -- super overbuilt, and ready for a lifetime of service. The shorty version gives me about 1" of clearance in the middle of the roof, which is perfect for my uses.

I love the looks of it, and have already had a ton of questions and compliments in the first week.

Just thought I would share some pics with you guys.

5917004913_dd4cd5d283_b.jpg

5917565732_7ab33d5f3f_b.jpg

5917565434_e6fda944fe_b.jpg

5917565584_bb73717f07_b.jpg

Thanks -- just got the LC about 3 weeks ago, and have a list of mods I am working through, the rack was the first one for fun.

Good design, very clean and professional, but I can't help noticing that sitting there unloaded it makes a shallow "V", flexing down to the bolts. I would think about some sort of cross flooring to take the stress off those bolts and spread it as broadly as possible.

Great look Cruiser - cograts with your purchase!

What kind of wheels are those? Sorry for the high jack

Nice work, very clean!

which atv ramps did you source?

Clean ,low profile look ,should not cause to much drag. I might have welded the middle, or put more bolts in. MIke

I like the color of your rig :) I wish my hood still had paint.

The sides are pop-riveted to the ramps/floor? Definitely a smooth look but I'd be concerned about them shearing off - had you thought about through-bolting? You could use dome-heads to keep the profile clean. Don't mean to be a buzz kill but I've just seen roof racks take a beating on trees and from shifting cargo boxes and jerry cans - I'm really rack-paranoid. People often don't pay enough attention to the really heavy stresses at work up there. And if you're in a wreck, all bets are off.

I'm looking at making a similar rack for my 100 series. What paint did you use to paint the aluminum panel that wraps around the side of the rack?

How much does it weigh?

based on my research, the ramps weigh only about 30lbs. So with everything else, less than 35lbs since it is all built from aluminum.

35 lbs. hmmm interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom