FJ Cruiser Wheel Questions, Answered (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are currently a few threads running around about FJC wheels with questions such as "which spacers", "which type of lugs", and "will the center cap fit".

I figured I would start a new thread to answer these questions based on my own experience.

Which spacer to use? I prefer my wheels to flush out with the flares and 1-1/2" spacers accomplish this nicely and still stuff into the wheel well on full flex.

Which type of lug to use? I asked this a while back and received lots of different answers. I went with Christo's advice and use my OEM lugs that came with the LX450, but I purchased some acorn style lugs to insure the wheel is centered on the studs. First, I put on 3 acorn lugs spaced equally, then follow with 3 OEM lugs. Then remove the 3 acorn and replace with OEM. (Reminder, this is how I mount the wheels to the spacers, which are not hubcentric)

Will the Center Caps fit, and on what size spacer? I personally like the look of my wheels without the center cap, but this question seems to come up often and all the answers I have seen so far suggest that the spacers need to be larger than
1-1/2". I just puchased a 5th rim as a spare and it came with the center cap so I checked. The center cap fully seated on the wheel and my spacers are 1-1/2". Below are pictures to confirm.

I will paint the cap black and post another picture later for a complete blacked out look with cap.
DSCN4685.jpg
DSCN4686.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Just got my FJ cruiser wheels back from powder coating, just need to get new tires and I will be ready, I was not expecting to use the stock lugnuts but that makes sense, got the 1.5 spacers and everything.

Sethro

1.5" spacers will work for the front but not the back. At least not on my 96. Did u try the center cap on the back or front? On my 96 the hub sticks out further on the back & 1.625" would be the minimum spacer required.

1.5" spacers will work for the front but not the back. At least not on my 96. Did u try the center cap on the back or front? On my 96 the hub sticks out further on the back & 1.625" would be the minimum spacer required.

Adam,
That was a great point, so I went out and placed it on the rear wheel and to my surprise, it fit.
DSCN4687.jpg
DSCN4688.jpg
DSCN4689.jpg

Hmmm interesting. On mine 1.5" would have worked but the nuts on the hub wouldn't allow the cap to snap on. Not trying to make a joke here, but I don't know any other way to say it. Perhaps my nut are bigger than yours. Did it take more effort to get the cap on the rear compared to the front? Maybe I didn't push hard enough when I did a test fit. I am really curious now. Anybody else able to try a test fit?

Did it take more effort to get the cap on the rear compared to the front?

The effort felt equal to me, just popped them on with a good smack with the side of my fist. It did take a second good smack to fully seat the cap.

Missed this post... Thanks for the info Derrick. I picked up some acorns to use in mounting the rims like you suggested. Also as an FYI these locking lugs work for the FJ rims on our trucks:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 73631T Toyota O.E. Wheel Locks With Washer (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size): Automotive

After the last 3 wheeling trips I can see the 1.5" spacers are a little too much for my 37's without pretty much all the rear inner fender lip shaved off in a couple areas. So I think I will try the 1" version of the same spacer.

fj wheels and mtr's

Figured this was best place to showcase new fj alum. 17's, and 315 mtr's as you can see they have already dominated a red bull can in the driveway:grinpimp:. I have no spacer, as I read the only way to get center caps to fit on front is a spacer. Has anyone modified the center cap to work or maybe the old centercaps from my 15's they seem deeper. I just got rims on tonight so I will maybe have time to check tommorow. I just used the lug nuts from the fj, they seem to be working fine As you can see from one pic not very good though cause im at angle but they are flush looking straight down the side. if I put spacer on I would be outside the flares as I dont want to do that for the simple fact of the police like to pick on us for that sort of stuff.
SANY0187.jpg
SANY0190.jpg

Any of you guys happen to throw one of those wheels on a scale? I'm curious as to how much they weight. Wondering if it's comparable to the nice,light, OEM 80 wheel?I really like the look of those wheels. Nice shoes fellas.

I will be taking my tires off old rims manually tommorow we have a scale at our shop I will weigh my factory 92 fj80 15x7 aluminum rim and get back, I wish I could have got weight of fj wheel but I had someone else mount and balance. The shipping weight on the 315 goodyear mtr was 66lb

I can probably weigh my FJ 17's in a couple months when I get new tires if no one else can.

I hate to sound stupid here, but when you bolt on a space, does the lug-stud stick out beyond the space? I would think they're longer than 1-1/2" and would create interference with the wheel mounted over top of them. I have never used spacers, but would love to purchase a pair of these FJ Cruiser wheels for one of my FZJ80's (1996)...just feel unclear as to what I really need to get clearance for the wheel caps (which I want installed) and what spacer would make the most sense, I am looking to match tire size up similar to a set of 285/75R16's that the truck currently has on it. This truck will be on-road 95% of the time, light trail beyond that, but nothing rough at all. I would not want the tires to stick out beyond my factory flares...coming out flush or close to flush is fine. I like the look of these wheels and aftermarket selection seems limited. Thanks for any help!!

I hate to sound stupid here, but when you bolt on a space, does the lug-stud stick out beyond the space? I would think they're longer than 1-1/2" and would create interference with the wheel mounted over top of them. I have never used spacers, but would love to purchase a pair of these FJ Cruiser wheels for one of my FZJ80's (1996)...just feel unclear as to what I really need to get clearance for the wheel caps (which I want installed) and what spacer would make the most sense, I am looking to match tire size up similar to a set of 285/75R16's that the truck currently has on it. This truck will be on-road 95% of the time, light trail beyond that, but nothing rough at all. I would not want the tires to stick out beyond my factory flares...coming out flush or close to flush is fine. I like the look of these wheels and aftermarket selection seems limited. Thanks for any help!!

No. That won't happen. 1" spacers will put the wheel back into the stock position. However, I think 1 1/2" is the smallest made for the 80. I'd go with 1 1/2" with the FJC wheels. You will be happy.

I hate to sound stupid here, but when you bolt on a space, does the lug-stud stick out beyond the space? I would think they're longer than 1-1/2" and would create interference with the wheel mounted over top of them...

Stock Toyota alloy wheels usually have voids between the lugs, the (original) lug ends stick into those cavities.. That can be an issue with aftermarket wheels though.. Not sure what stock steelies look like.

I'll add my observations here. I have a 91' and recently bought a 96'. I had purchased the 17" FJ Cruiser wheels for the 91' to replace the stock 15" wheels. It really cleaned up the look of the truck. I was able to fit the center caps on the rear only. When I got the 96' I swapped wheels, putting the FJ Cruiser wheels on the 96' and the OEM 16" wheels on the 91'. Now neither of the caps will fit. I assume it because of the difference in rear axles. I also noticed that the FJ Cruiser wheels appear to be tucked in further on the 96'. I am considering getting some spacers. I really like the look of the wheels though even without caps.

Also, if you are looking for FJ cruiser wheels check your local 4x4 shop for takeoffs. I bought 5 wheels, new factory tires and lugs for $500. They even mounted them for that. The had a whole shipping container full of takeoffs.

Here some pictures of the spacing.

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

FJ wheels on FZJ80

Got some 2010 FJ Cruiser 16" wheels and put them on my '96 with BFG 265/75R16s. No spacers for now.

Looks good and considering that stock wheels 15 years old were selling for around $150 each these were a good choice for me at $50 each.
cruiser wheels.jpg

Doc W I am considering getting these for my 96. Happy to hear they fit with no spacers. I assume the center caps won’t however?? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom