Radiator Replacement - Flush Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys--

I'll try to keep this short. I'm replacing my radiator and hoses in a few days. I live in a condo and have a detached garage with plenty of room to work. The only problem is the fact that the condo association has already turned off the water hydrants for the winter so I would not be able to flush my cooling system during the swap. The last flush was in December '09 (only 5,000 miles ago). I can also do the swap in my friend's garage (with water available for the flush) but it's always nice to work in your own garage since you know where all of your tools are and you can work on your own timeline without wearing out your welcome waiting for parts, etc. ;)

Your thoughts on whether or not the flush is necessary / can wait 'til spring or any "partial flush" techniques I could utilize if I decide to work in my garage?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Guys--

I'll try to keep this short. I'm replacing my radiator and hoses in a few days. I live in a condo and have a detached garage with plenty of room to work. The only problem is the fact that the condo association has already turned off the water hydrants for the winter so I would not be able to flush my cooling system during the swap. The last flush was in December '09 (only 5,000 miles ago). I can also do the swap in my friend's garage (with water available for the flush) but it's always nice to work in your own garage since you know where all of your tools are and you can work on your own timeline without wearing out your welcome waiting for parts, etc. ;)

Your thoughts on whether or not the flush is necessary / can wait 'til spring or any "partial flush" techniques I could utilize if I decide to work in my garage?

Thanks,

Mark
5000 since last flush? I wouldn't worry about flushing it and just drain coolant, replace hoses and radiator and replace coolant, I do not see why you cannot use the same coolant either unless you are switching the coolant type! If that is the case you could still flush by draining and adding water via milk jugs or the like? Take the rig for a spin with plain water return, drain water fill with new water until all water come out clean, (dont forget the brass plug on the block to drain engine!) Oh and Goodluck!

Just drain and replace the coolant. 5000 miles is for oil changes, not coolant flushes :flipoff2:

What kind of flush was done 5k ago? Were both the block and radiator drained from the plugs? Was the rear heater core/lines flushed?

When I replaced my radiator I wanted as much junk out of the system before I put that in. I would maybe at least do a drain from the block plug if that hasn't been done.

I would think you would be fine as long as the same coolant type is going back into the system as you had in it to begin with. Also as long as the flush performed 5000 miles ago was very thorough.

Good luck

They flushed the radiator, block and cores at my request (so they say). I went ahead and removed the rad. yesterday in my own garage. I may run distilled water in it for a day or two and still take it to my friend's garage to flush things (doing the FHH so I may as well while I've got those hoses off). What came out of the radiator and block looked clean, however.

I'm missing 90% of my radiator foam and my replacement radiator is not OEM (talk amongst yourselves :p) and will not have "factory foam" on it. I've read weather-stripping will fail eventually. Somebody mentioned "backing rod" as a good replacement idea. Thoughts?

--Mark

Last edited:
Hi Mark what kind of radiator are you using and where did you get it from?how's the fitmen?my radiator starting to leak and I don't have enough dough to get the oem:whoops:

You can use expanding foam and trim it once it's dry. Then paint it.

Oh, how I wish the replacement radiator would arrive. Driving a Civic around all week is cramping my style...and my neck. (6'-5") :)

You should be fine. You will be replacing approximately 2 gal of coolant mix with new coolant mix, and your old stuff isnt even that old. I just did a radiator replacement and went ahead and did the PHH and FHH, as well as replaced the original radiator hoses and thermostat. Also, while the rad is out, check your front main seal and oil pump cover. If yours are leaking (like mine were), it is a lot easier to replace them with the radiator out of the way.

Yep, should be fine. Temps in the 70's have made for a great wrenching week. Turns cooler next week.

A few pics:

Pic #1: Two pinhole leaks caused a major gusher out the grille, spraying coolant back onto the hood and windshield. In hindsight, I'm glad it did, since it was very noticeable. It was a Toyota radiator, I noticed, upon removal. It had to be the second one in the truck I'd say. Surely, it didn't last 17+ years, did it?

Pic #2: Took a shop light down from my ceiling. It was great working with that much light.

Pic #3: 20" "johnson rod" for reaching the block drain plug. :)

Rad1.jpg

Rad2.jpg

Rad3.jpg

Last edited:
"Pic #1: Two pinhole leaks caused a major gusher out the grille, spraying coolant back onto the hood and windshield. In hindsight, I'm glad it did, since it was very noticeable. It was a Toyota radiator, I noticed, upon removal. It had to be the second one in the truck I'd say. Surely, it didn't last 17+ years did it? "

I'd say it's the original. I have a 93 as well and just replaced my rad with a new toyota OEM one last year and mine wasn't leaking.

The OEM stuff on these trucks last a very long time if properly maintained.

Those are OEM hose clamps and probably original OEM hoses as well next to your old rad.

Amazing. I was really surprised to see the Toyota "stamp" on it as I was wiggling it out of the engine bay.

Are you guys reusing the clamps that came off of your old radiator hoses for your new hoses, or are you picking up some new "standard" hose clamps from the hardware store?

Thanks.

I replaced with constant torque clamps from Napa, worth the extra cost in my opinion. And personally I would replace the 17yr old clamps, it will be cheep insurance.

definitely interested to hear how the new one fits

What brand of radiator did you buy? CSF? TYC? TYG? Koyo? I am astounded that people want a toyota stamp on the new radiator. I hear it every single day, it gets old. Toyota doesn't make the radiator, just like they don't make the a/c compressor. It's outsourced. Once a period of time passes, the contract expires and the original manufacturer can market the part as aftermarket. Koyo is a good replacement radiator for all Toyota vehicles with plastic aluminum radiators, high end shops prefer them. Don't throw away the grommets.

Clean your condenser while you have the rad out.

definitely interested to hear how the new one fits

According to FedEx.com, it's out for delivery. I'll slap it in tonight or tomorrow morning and post up about it. From everything I've ready, it will fit like a glove.

What brand of radiator did you buy? CSF? TYC? TYG? Koyo?

Koyo C1917.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom