Replacing Rear Sliding Windows with Fixed Windown ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day! I'm wondering just what's involved in replacing the sliding rear windows with fixed (non-sliding) windows.

Is it just a matter of buying the rubber 'surround' piece and having glass cut?

I wonder if the parts needed to do this change are even available and if "yes" what they would cost. Cheerz...

Rob

From the shaman himself....Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdan View Post
In order to convert to solid glass you need the glass, the weatherstrip and new vents. The slider glass uses a different weatherstrip and vents. In addition the solid glass is not available in privacy tint.
You would be looking at ~400 bucks to do it with new parts.

Good day! I'm wondering just what's involved in replacing the sliding rear windows with fixed (non-sliding) windows.

Is it just a matter of buying the rubber 'surround' piece and having glass cut?

I wonder if the parts needed to do this change are even available and if "yes" what they would cost. Cheerz...

Rob

I know most guys get sick of the dirty slide tracks but I sure could use the ventilation for my dogs. I'd consider a trade for some good sliders ( ideally with somebody close by) in the summer when I can do without them for a couple weeks. We parted a JDM rig with fixed glass a while ago. I know the glass went to a good home but I'll see what happened to the gaskets.

Here is another option...
Panneaux de vitres latérales avec rangements
pan_vitre_lat_rang2.JPG
pan_vitre_lat_rang.JPG

i have thought about converting mine to sliding glass... i should keep that in mind that some people want them...

Old thread revival .. anyone have done this conversion .. ?

I'm about to do .. well was until read about different vents. already have the solid glass and new weatherstrip already on the glasses ..

also FSM said use a cord around weatherstrip to pull it in place .. but no mention what kind of cord or which one will work the best ..

Old thread revival .. anyone have done this conversion .. ?

I'm about to do .. well was until read about different vents. already have the solid glass and new weatherstrip already on the glasses ..

also FSM said use a cord around weatherstrip to pull it in place .. but no mention what kind of cord or which one will work the best ..

I've done the swap and then "undone" the swap :).... To prototype WagonGear solid glass flip up windows...

To answer your "cord" question clothes line works best, a good cotton rope... Also as a good tip take the end of a caulk tube, the part you snip off and feed the line through the tip... This will then work a a great "needle" to thread the line through the gasket, it parts the seal so the line can fall in easily behind the tip.

Lots of dry lube silicone also helps in the process. Anyone looking for gaskets PM me, practically brand new ones sitting in the shop from cruiser Dan now doing me no good. ;)

Ammo

To answer your "cord" question clothes line works best, a good cotton rope... Also as a good tip take the end of a caulk tube, the part you snip off and feed the line through the tip... This will then work a a great "needle" to thread the line through the gasket, it parts the seal so the line can fall in easily behind the tip.

basically have some sort of lubricant when you are putting new glass and weather strip over body lib again .. if I got it right ..

Any word about louvers .?

basically have some sort of lubricant when you are putting new glass and weather strip over body lib again .. if I got it right ..

Any word about louvers .?

Yes and no :). The cord holds the seal in the "spread" position, as you pull the cord out the "body lip" falls in place... This combined with the silicone makes the job much easier.

The lovers are a production part number, I got mine from Dan.

Matt

Yes and no :). The cord holds the seal in the "spread" position

good tip so must be thick enough to "spread" the seal ..

as you pull the cord out the "body lip" falls in place...

FSM you install from inside the Cruiser .. so you pull the cord from the inside to outside .. would I need an extra pair of hands ? j( wife ain't gonna be happy :frown: )

The lovers are a production part number, I got mine from Dan.

So they are indeed different ? did you recall which was the difference .?

good tip so must be thick enough to "spread" the seal ..

FSM you install from inside the Cruiser .. so you pull the cord from the inside to outside .. would I need an extra pair of hands ? j( wife ain't gonna be happy :frown: )

So they are indeed different ? did you recall which was the difference .?

Follow the FSM, the only extra hands are to hold the glass to keep it from falling out while you set the seal from the inside. You may also want to apply some added force from the exterior inwards as you pull the cord to pop the seal over the body lip from the interior.

From what I recall the louvers are ever so slightly different from the slider louver. Here is my invoice with part numbers... Prices could have changed...

-Matt

image-613269074.jpg

hi jack ..

which it's the functionality of the key on the rear quarter panel .?

The lower marker light is replaced with a lockable key cylinder. This allows access to the flip window from the exterior through cable actuation. Unlock an twist, the widow pops out and lift up to open.

Matt

You need to trim some plastic from the louver if you are getting sliding windows to replace your fixed units.

I just went from sliding to fixed a week ago and just reused the louvers. It worked well enough, the glass I got also had good rubber. It was a 15 minute job for the local glass shop.

I just went from sliding to fixed a week ago and just reused the louvers.

That's what I was planning to do ..

It worked well enough, the glass I got also had good rubber. It was a 15 minute job for the local glass shop.

I bought new rubbers / weather strips from Beno so that won't be a problem ..

When you said it worked well enough what exactly you mean .. ?

too much to ask some pics of the louver detail ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom