Lets play name that part number! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grench

SILVER Star
Threads
The part is a plastic bit inside the rear hatch that connects the outside handle to the opening mechanism.

So... I searched and found lots of posts reporting it broken, a couple reporting it fixed, one reporting a possible substitute part number that sorta worked. What is the real part number?

It is for my wife's cruiser and Dan's at Cruise Moab, so I'm going to try to shorten the supply chain and call around town. If I can't find one tomorrow I'll have to pull the one off of my cruiser for her. See also chance of needing two.

So, whatsit?
Hatch_Latch_Plastic_Thingy_1.jpg

I had one of those retaining clips bust on my 70. I trudged off to a pick-a-part and plucked the handles off of a Toyota van. They looked the same and worked perfectly.

Karl

check your local auto parts store in the "help" section. most of the ones that hold the door rods in place are close to the same.

Close but no beer

Try part number 69759-14050

The drawings for that area are stunningly hard to read but this looks like the one.

In any event it looks like a small cheap part :)

A local Toyota dealer had 3 of those in stock, so I had my :princess: pick one up for me while I was at work.

Part number 69759-14050 is on the left (pink). The one from the truck is on the right (yellow). Its the right idea but way too small to fit. You were right about the cheap. Even at my local Toyota dealer's inflated prices. The invoice says List $4.22, Net $2.50 + tax. Typically their, 'discounted,' prices are list or close elsewhere.
Latch_Thingys_compared.jpg

does the handle actually bolt up to that piece? if so 69090-60010.

That is the whole handle. If I have to buy a whole handle to get the plastic clip, thats going to be quite sad. Regardless, if that's the case I'll wait until Dan gets back.

I'd take the one off my truck to put in her's but after looking at the thing, I'd stand a better chance of breaking the one in mine than getting it out in one piece.

Hmm...

Just a bump to make it easier for Dan to find. :)

It's not serviced. You have to buy the door latch to get it. 69350-60040, list $126.04.

I do not have a latch here to look at so I can't eyeball the clip in person. A 69293-89102 out of an 84-88 pickup with chrome door handles MIGHT work.

does the handle actually bolt up to that piece? if so 69090-60010.

You are very close. The adjustable metal post-thingy is part of the 69090-60010 handle.

I know this is off topic, but, how to get ahold of cruiserdan for parts?

Tried sending message, but cruiserdan doesn't take private ones...

Rick

Wanted to spend $$ with membership, but no answer...

so I guess I'm off to the local Toyota dealership for parts... gulp....

Rick

Tried sending message, but cruiserdan doesn't take private ones...

Rick

Yes he does.

He closes his box when he is on vacation so it does not overflow while he's gone.;)

Wow...

so I guess I'm off to the local Toyota dealership for parts... gulp....

Rick

I waited 5 days for my answer and was happy to get it... 43 minutes and you're off and running in random directions?

Look at the top right of your screen. See the link to, 'Support our Advertising Vendors!'? It takes you to a page with an advertisement for American Toyota.

As I made a good example of above, going to your local Toyota dealer or sending your :princess: to get a -hopefully- right part is a risky venture. I'll do it on a 50/50 chance for cheap bits, but not for anything the truck is riding on.

Call Dan, he'll give you the straight scoop, even if it isn't a story you want to hear.

Concluding the thread.

I was able to get the little plastic bit from IRBIS. Cruiserdan was nice enough to tell me the -right- way to remove/install this little bit o' unobtanium.

To -properly- remove this:
The yellow plastic bit is composed of two main elements.
1. The clip that goes around the threaded metal rod.
2. The two sided pin shoulder that goes into a sheet metal hole in the latch. This wraps a metal pin that sits on the end of the threaded rod.

To remove it, you have to slide the clip off of the rod, then remove the metal pin from the plastic bit in the hole. This clears the plastic shoulders to be pinched in and pulled back through the hole.

To put it in, reverse the process. So, the plastic shoulder ends go into the sheet metal hole first, then the metal pin is inserted, then the clip wraps around the rod.

I wrote this up because hanging upside down looking up into the hole to get inside the hatch to work on this makes it a bit less than obvious how it all goes together.

Thank you Cruiserdan for telling me how to get it apart/together. (See vendor ads).
Thank you IRBIS for getting me the part off of one of the vehicles you are parting out. (see parting out section here).

You were both above and beyond helpful!

Thanks!

Grench

69293-AC020 $6.51

OR

69293-12030 $3.48

Are close, I think I used AC020. the part that snaps into the hole is a bit loose, I put one wrap of elect. tape around it and it snapped in tight.

I ordered the 69090-60010 and it came w/out the plastic clip...then the parts guy pulled out a box w/ assorted clips and we started going through them until we came up w/ these two.

Hope this helps someone.

Dan

Actually the 69293-89102 mentioned above is a perfect match. I was able to confirm that recently.

EDIT 5-25-2017: This part has been discontinued by Toyota and is no longer available.

Last edited:
69293-AC020 $6.51

OR

69293-12030 $3.48

Are close, I think I used AC020. the part that snaps into the hole is a bit loose, I put one wrap of elect. tape around it and it snapped in tight.

I ordered the 69090-60010 and it came w/out the plastic clip...then the parts guy pulled out a box w/ assorted clips and we started going through them until we came up w/ these two.

Hope this helps someone.

Dan

Actually the 69293-89102 mentioned above is a perfect match. I was able to confirm that recently.

That is great news! Now the next guy doesn't have to chase down a junked truck to pry one out of.

Great job in figuring it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom