Suspension seat bases? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I'd check in with you 70's owners on this since I'd heard that the 70 series had suspension seats in them as well...

I'm thinking about upgrading my front seats to suspension seat bases but before I got through the whole process I wanted to check with some folks who have to them to get their impressions.

Also, does anyone know if the suspension seat bases from a 70 series to be compatible with a 60 series (like the hj61 - this came with the bases as an option).

THanks in advance
Koby

60 series seat bases are not the same as the 70 series units.

The seat bases can be retro-fitted in about 3 to 5 hours depending on how you want to tackle the project (just did this). Some mounts in the truck need to be removed and holes need to be drilled in the provided locations. Then some nuts need to be welded to the under side of the body work to bolt the seats to.

The carpet in the trucks with seat bases are different as the don't have the seat mount pedestals molded into the carpet.

Is it worth it? That's debatable, but it certainly adds some cool factor.

~John

John
thanks a ton. I think it'd be nice for ride comfort. Is there a noticeble difference in your rig now that you've done the swap?

I'm trying to get a set now. I just called your shop again and hopefully a set from an HJ61 will turn up. I've also got a friend in Australia searching for me, but I'd prefer to find a set already on this continent. If a set comes along with or without seats let me know.

Thanks
Koby

email sent...

~John

Here are a few teasers...
IMGP0021.jpg
IMGP0025.jpg
IMGP0031.jpg

And another batch... I should really be adding these to my build thread... but no time right now.
IMGP0042.jpg
IMGP0043.jpg
IMGP0037.jpg

John
thanks a ton. I think it'd be nice for ride comfort. Is there a noticeble difference in your rig now that you've done the swap?

I'm trying to get a set now. I just called your shop again and hopefully a set from an HJ61 will turn up. I've also got a friend in Australia searching for me, but I'd prefer to find a set already on this continent. If a set comes along with or without seats let me know.

Thanks
Koby

As long as you weigh less than 100kgs,that is all they can handle. Any more and they bottom out .

I'm only 65kg (70 after the holidays!!) so that's no worries for me.

John

I don't usually drive around with the seat bases on (there's a lever to lock them out at two different points). If they are on, then you will find that certain types of bumps are absorbed nicely and the ride is more gentle to the occupants.

The best upgrade for ride quality was installing OME CS017RA/B springs at both ends (see my neglected build thread).

~John

John
Can you point me to the build thread? I searched for threads started by you but didn't see it on there - there were only five when I looked...
Thanks
Koby

Koby

FWIW, I keep my seats locked 100% of the time.
I find the "variable" height to be annoying when driving, especially when they don't return to the same height on every bounce.

YMMV.

Jim

It's a good thought - I'm putting OME's on over the holidays - I was lucky enough to find a set of "old school" OME heavies that were made in Australia when they still did that... came off of a parts rig near me that was low mileage and sat nice and high. That will do a ton for my ride quality as my current springs are re-arched stocks with an AAL all the way around - stiff as a rock... no bueno!!

That said, I'm still keen on the suspension seats - the "cool" factor is definitely neat on those for me and I think my wife would like the ride soften if possible.

Has anyone ever looked at rebuilding the suspension bases to "tune" the ride on them using new springs/struts etc?

fwiw, I love the supension seats, I have them set as soft as possible so they do bottom out every once in a while, but we're talking once a month, and the rest of the time it's kinda plush.

had a wonky spine for a while, they definately made it more comfortable to drive.

Kinda freaks other people out when they get in, they move a lot...:grinpimp:

had them in my 40 and then my 45 as well.

cheers,
r

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom