3FE Conversion Write-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phalconoverland.com
80 Series 3FE Conversion Write-Up

I'm in the middle of a 3FE conversion on my 85 FJ60 and figured I would add my part to the world of LC knowledge. I only have weekends to work on this so info will come about accordingly.

Some background...

I drove my truck from IL to CA and probably over worked it a bit too hard. You can google elripster and over heating to read about it but I won't bore you here. What is important is that I find myself in the most smog hostile state with an engine that's been desmogged and is losing compression in #6. It's down to 100 psi, not terrible, but there is a lot of blow by causing the PCV to plug up and pressurize the crank case (oil everywhere). Not good, time to find another solution. I threw up a post for discussion a while back and this 3FE swap came from all that input.

My reasoning for a 3FE swap as opposed to the many other options.

- I want an engine that will pass smog in CA. Fuel injection is your friend here.
- I want to keep my Land Cruiser all Toyota, I'm a purist, what can I say?
- I would prefer to keep my LC all LC, I have an American 4X4 with dual lockers, 4:1 t-case gears with a nice American powertrain, I want my LC for all that it is and isn't.
- I want to get parts at the autoparts store down the street - imported powertrains are not the most desirable from this standpoint.
- I don't feel like fabricating, sure I can, I'm an engineer and have my own license for solidworks, but I am very busy and time is in short supply. I want to bolt it in and start to enjoy this truck.
- As far as much newer OBDII engines, control system reverse engineering is well within my capabilities but since we are renting for a year (new job=reason for relocating) before we buy, I don't have a place for the half cut while I figure out how to spoof the CAN bus to trick a nice new OBDII engine to run in an OBD-zero truck. This truck needs to be registered and I don't think it will make it another year the way the engine is hemorrhaging oil.
- I don't need my truck to be really fast, but I would like fuel injection and a few more ponies would make me smile - the 3FE does just this.
- I'm trying to keep costs under control, that's relatively speaking of course. There isn't really an "affordable" way to do this (or a 2F rebuild) but I don't want to spend $5k.

If you find yourself agreeing with my logic you might want to consider swapping a 2f for a 3FE. I suggest looking for an FJ62 as a donor, as it turns out there is a bit more work converting to an 80 series 3FE. It's not a ton, it's still a bolt in, but it's not "plug & play" anymore.

Now the realities of a "bolt in" swap.

You are probably buying a used engine with an unknown history. I bought mine from a local mudder with a video of it running. That's about the best you can do unless you have a friend who will let you pick apart their truck and you get to benefit from a known history.

The reality is that your used engine is going to need some parts. You might chose to run it as is but if not get ready to do a thorough evaluation of your engine. All of this is bolt in, but there can be a lot of "bolting".

To make this swap you need a few things:
- Engine
- ECU
- Engine harness
- Charcoal Canister and associated vacuum control valve.
- All accessories, PS, alternator, are in different places. The smog pump and AC use different lines. You need the accessories AND the hoses if you want it all to bolt up.
- 3FE smog components, this means the VSVs, air pump diaphram, and silencer. If you get one from an FJ62 the brackets will bolt up. Mine is from an 80 so a little bending and drilling will be required but nothing big.
- The 80 does not have rear heat so if you want to keep it you need to get a t-fitting for the rear heat return, pictures will explain this better.
- There might be more but that's all I can think of so far. Since my truck was missing smog stuff I need it all from the donor vehicle. If anyone can chime is as to what can be carried over, if anything, from a 60 to a 62, pipe up and I'll amend this part of the post.
- If you are really lucky you might get the cruise control module and original dash harness to play with down the road so you can have CC. You will need an output shaft speed sensor which I have not figured out yet.
- You will need to drill out the flywheel holes to accept the larger 3FE hardware. I believe a .430 drill bit will do the trick.
- You will need to drill the shroud holes to lower the shroud about .5" or use an FJ62 3FE shroud.
- It's not necessary but not a bad idea to use an FJ62 gas tank instead of the 60 tank w/ external pump. The 62 tank will scavenge fuel better when the level gets low than the stock 60 tank will.
- You might as well get "one click" with McMaster-Carr. You will need lots of hose clamps, tubing, crimps, etc.. all of which can be delivered at your doorstep in a day or two from MMC. I am using the high pressure small tubing clamps on my fuel lines which are especially helpful when getting the tube to clamp onto a non-barbed metal tube. Sometimes I wrap the rubber hose which a little duct tape to increase the diameter so the clamps grip tighter if I spot leaks.

There are some things you will not need..

This backing plate is not required. The 2F bellhousing will go in its place.
2011-09-17_16-23-51_671.jpg

The brackets that likely add strength for the heavier auto are not required.
2011-09-17_16-37-26_371.jpg

These trans cooler lines aren't required...
2011-09-17_16-39-08_55.jpg

But the nuts that fasten them also hold on this nifty 2F fuel pump block off plate you will need to reinstall...
2011-09-17_16-40-22_350.jpg

A small child (my son in this case) playing in grass to keep you from swearing too much...
2011-09-17_17-42-41_326.jpg

I decided to really go through the engine and replace wear parts. This is where costs get fuzzy. If you like leaks, you can forego much of this, but if not...

You can buy what is claimed to be the whole enchilada from Cruiserparts.net as far as what is required for the swap. If so, 2500 bucks is not necessarily a bad deal although you have to add accessories on top of that. In the end if you need everything from them you might be looking at $3k? Not totally sure since I didn't go that route.

I bought an engine for $900 running. I got most accessories but needed to buy a new PS pump. I needed to also buy new hoses for the PS pump. I will probably need to fab up a new cable for the alternator.
- Shipping from TX to CA was just shy of $400 with insurance through u-ship.
- I'm replacing a lot of parts, water pump, all coolant hoses, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel pulsation damper, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new air filter, new thermostat, new rad cap, side cover gasket, valve cover gasket, rear main seal, pan gasket, and probably some other stuff I can't remember. It needs all of this.
- I need a new section of intake tubing due to the cracking oem stuff. Sure I could tape it up but not this time.
- I like to buy new tools when I have an "excuse" so I got a heavy duty engine stand and clutch centering tool.
- My clutch measured out Ok but I got the flywheel resurfaced. When the clutch finally goes it will be H55F time.
- I need to have a 2-1 exhaust fabbed up. I'm going to have the whole thing done 2.5" with new cat.
- I need to replace a smog pump hose that is cracking, haven't priced it yet.
- I'm going to replace ALL the vacuum lines, they are old and if they don't need it now they will soon.
- After running it for some time I blew the exhaust manifold gasket. While in there I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and all 6 injectors with Rockauto remans (cheap!) and it made a huge difference. The engine had been running very rich with 9MPG on average. The engine also struggled to warm up per the temp gauge and IR thermo. Now it warms up much faster, idles smoother, and has much more power. I recommend replacing these parts if there are signs of running rich.

Total cost? I haven't even had time to add it up. I will easily spend $2500 you'd spend at cruiser parts (including new tools) and likely more but at least I will have a boat load of new (tools and) parts on this engine going in. The 2F AC compressor will not work. I received the compressor with this engine but figure another $450 for new one if you need one. The existing AC hoses appear to connect up but you will likely need to extend the wire that activates the clutch. Keep in mind you'd spend the same amount I would to have the exhaust fabbed up regardless of where you get your engine, unless of course, your ever generous friend lets you pluck that from a donor truck as well. It could happen. If not, expect to pay between $1100 and $1200 for a full exhaust with both cats and 02 sensors.

If you have the option of a truck you can park next to yours and do the swap, knowing that the parts have lots of life in them, you can do the swap for the quoted price of the parts. This of course assumes you have the tools. I have a shop crane which has helped immensely and my solvent tank is getting a workout. If not, what I'm trying to convey is, you will need to spend some more money on top of the engine purchase and transport costs (if there are any) to get the engine ready for duty in your truck or put up with the worn out stuff it will come with.

Documentation: One thing I have found is there is a LOT less information available online for the 3FE than the 2F but it is there. I have scoured and printed up lots of stuff and should have what I need. I used these... http://www.yankeetoys.org/KLF/EPCDiags/3FE_FSMSchematics.pdf and the AC schematic from the 84-90 FSM for all of the wiring. In essence, the ECU and the neutral safety switch need 12V. The ECU otherwise stands alone with the engine harness with minimal interaction with the rest of the truck. CC is one thing one would need to research. I haven't done so and I'm sure there will be signals missing (like veh speed) that I will have to work around but to get it to run shouldn't be hard. I'm relying on pictures and random schematics for the evap and other emissions components. You will need to run 12V to the new 45 psi fuel pump required for the fuel injection system. You need a new fuel filter too. None of this is any harder than wiring up a stereo, it just takes time.

I wish I had made all that I had found into a PDF but I just printed as I ran across things, maybe I can put it all together later.

Here are somethings you might find in a used engine...
2011-09-18_16-16-10_342.jpg

... and why I would suggest going through a used engine thoroughly unless you know the history says otherwise.

Sludge, sludge, and more of it. I have some more pics but it's depressing to look at... at least for me. I scrubbed oil pan for about an hour in my solvent tank and it came clean. I am letting the valve cover and side covers soak all week because I got tired of scrubbing. I will probably need to do a kerosene/oil mixture with prolonged idle and immediate flush followed by a 100 mile, 250 mile, and 500 mile oil change before going to regular intervals. I cleaned out the oil pump screen but man there is a lot of chunky-ness stuck to everything.

Right now the engine is on the stand, new rear main and oil pan gasket are installed. I plan to do the majority of the engine maintenance next weekend. This means I will have to forgo the Pismo Jam but I really want to make the last S&T so I'm on a mission.

Please feel free to post up questions and comments. My hope is to have a nice complete thread anyone can follow should they decide on this mod.

When I get to the electrical mods I'll take pics and describe them.

Next weekend more pics to come and commentary on the trials and tribulations of engine swapping!

Frank

Last edited:
Wow. You are thorough! I know you've only started...but well done (so far).

Looks like you are using an 80 series 3FE? Don't forget that the flywheel to crank bolts are larger on the later 3FEs so you will have to drill out your fly wheel. It took all of 5 minutes to do with a drill press. I just fininshed putting an 80 series 3FE into my 87' FJ-60 so PM me if you think I can be helpfull. I am in Cali and when I did the conversion they looked for 2 cats and all the smog goodies before they approved the conversion. I opted to swap the whole dash harness in along with the FJ62 dash so my conversion was 95% plug and play. Instead of adapting the power steering piping I just swapped in the FJ-62 lines and that made the power steering plug and play. You will have to drill a hole for the ECU and the throttle cable but that was not difficult. Good luck!

My engine came from a 62 so I'm using 62 lines for the PS as well.

I do have an FJ62 dash harness but no dash so I will be sticking with the 60 dash. I will wire the CEL to the choke light.

Thanks for the offer of help. I hope to put in some major hours this weekend so we will see how it goes.

Frank

I wish! This one is going to cost me the Pismo Jam but I will make the S&T if it kills me.

Frank

What year FJ-62 did that engine come out of? Do you have any better side shots of the oil pan? While the engine is out you may want to drill out the OEM oil galley plug and tap and thread the hole and put a real threaded plug in there. The pressed in plug has the potential for faillure after all those years.

I can take some side shots of the oil pan.

I believe this engine is from an 89 FJ62.

Frank

I confirmed this engine is from an 80 series (1991). At least that's what PS pump fits it.

So more adventures this weekend.

I got started replacing the thermostat. Lots of build up in the coolant passages so I did a lot of flushing and blowing out with air. All of these little passages are cleaned out and I replaced the little rubber lines.

2011-09-24_15-29-48_765.jpg

Removing the housing meant shearing off some hardware. It was very frozen in there. I got new hardware and move on.

2011-09-24_15-32-25_797.jpg

Another pic...

2011-09-24_15-48-55_17.jpg

Pipe wrenches are handy...

2011-09-24_15-50-23_368.jpg

... Until you drop part of the bolt into the engine. This caused me great sadness so I pulled of the t-stat housing mount to see if I could fish it out. I was able to do so.

2011-09-24_15-55-28_208.jpg

When I got the engine, it had leaned over onto its side during shipping. All looked Ok at first but while replacing old vacuum lines, I learned otherwise.

2011-09-25_11-46-59_54.jpg

2011-09-25_12-07-34_36.jpg

2011-09-25_12-07-40_46.jpg

Nipples were broken off the EGR diaphram and the valve itself was crushed.

I will see about filing a claim with the shipper but in the meantime I ordered new stuff.

I was all set install the clutch, etc... but realized while I have the bit, I don't have an adequate drill to punch out the flywheel holes at my dad's place. I will have to do it at work or something. Next weekend is my cousins bachelor party in Vegas so there is a very very small chance I will do more than recover from that event.

Things to do still are
- Install the water pump
- Install the new EGR parts
- Finish replacing the vacuum lines
- Install the rest of the powertrain on the enigne
- Install the powertrain
- Install and wire up the fuel pump
- Hook the the rest of the smog stuff
- Get a new exhaust made up
- Route the harness, mount the ECU
- Lots of other stuff I can't think of.

If I had more time and the ability to do this at my own place I would probably take more time and find a local donor truck that I could see in real time. You don't need to do all that I am doing but since this engine needs a lot of peripheral work I have a lot to do. Then again, this could and probably would be true for any swap unless it's a lot newer.

Would anyone be so kind as to scan and post a (1990) 3FE vacuum diagram?

Frank

Last edited:
I didn't get a whole lot done this weekend.

I drilled out my flywheel holes earlier in the week.

2011-09-27_18-45-03_157.jpg

2011-10-02_14-45-04_27.jpg

It mounted up fine.

I installed the clutch, new water pump, and started playing with the smog stuff under the hood.

2011-10-02_16-40-16_419.jpg

2011-10-02_16-40-31_857.jpg

It didn't quite fit and then I had a forehead slapper moment, this stuff is from an 80. I will install the engine next week then install this stuff to ensure it lines up with the hoses, etc... I will need to bend the bracket tabs a bit and drill some holes in the fender but nothing too difficult at all.

Next weekend the powertrain will be back in the truck. Then I can focus on the little stuff. I will get the exhaust installed next week too.

Frank

It didn't quite fit and then I had a forehead slapper moment, this stuff is from an 80. I will install the engine next week then install this stuff to ensure it lines up with the hoses, etc... I will need to bend the bracket tabs a bit and drill some holes in the fender but nothing too difficult at all.

Just delete the silencer, unless you need it to pass smog. I did years ago and could tell no difference with or without. Or you could source one from a FJ62 and it will be much closer to a straight bolt up. I think I still have one lying around....

I unfortunately do need to pass smog, in CA no less. So... I guess I will try to mount up what I have to lessen the chances some unfriendly referee busts me for mixing and matching smog stuff.

Frank

It's tough doing a swap like this when your truck is not in your own garage. It takes a lot longer.

The powertrain is back in the truck. It had an expensive date at the exhaust shop which included new cats and O2 sensors.

2011-10-16_17-14-36_113-1.jpg

2011-10-16_17-14-49_709.jpg

I figured why go too much into that, everyone has seen engines pulled and installed. As a result, I'm skipping to this weekends endeavors which are specific to the swap and relate to wiring. One caveat, I haven't started the truck yet so there might be some errors here but I think I have it right.

With something like this there is more than one way to do it. As one of the previous posters mentioned, he swapped the dash and all from the donor vehicle to make it pretty much plug & play. Here I did what seemed to be the easiest routes to get electrons where they need to go but you might very well think of better ways. If so post up, it might just help someone in the future.

The first item was to figure out where I was going to mount the ECU. Based on how the harness wanted to pass over the engine towards the passenger side I went with that and routed it through the right side firewall. If you relocate some of the modules behind the kick panel you have enough room for the ECU here.

2011-10-15_15-14-12_250-1.jpg

These will be strapped down up in the dash above where they were.

2011-10-15_15-16-39_76.jpg

Next, if you do this, take note of which ECU you have, there are two. I started wiring for the wrong one. I have the one with the dark gray connectors, there is another with lighter beige like connectors.

I followed these schematics...

http://www.yankeetoys.org/KLF/EPCDiags/3FE_FSMSchematics.pdf

From what I can tell I need to address the following signals...

MREL: This fires the main EFI relay. Since I received the remaining harnesses with my engine I simply plucked the factory one from that harness and installed it.
2011-10-23_10-35-27_515.jpg

2011-10-23_11-32-15_177.jpg

Do note that I supplied my own 15A fuse holder and fuse. I will strap this down somewhere behind the kick panel.

Next I wired the stop switch. Here is was important to locate the switched side of the connector that is operated by the brake pedal. This is easily accomplished with a meter.

2011-10-22_14-48-45_483.jpg

Next I wired up the choke light to be the check engine light. The ECU sinks this signal to ground so again is is important to make sure you re-route the ground side of the light. One easy way to find this is to see when runs through the choke cable switch as switches are typically on the ground side.

2011-10-23_09-37-41_289.jpg

Next I wired the ignition wire. This is supposed to be a 7.5A fuse. Since my old 10A engine fuse is no longer connected to anything I replaced it with a 7.5A fuse and routed the protected side to the ECU ignition input.

2011-10-23_10-55-05_334.jpg

I tapped the AC clutch signal and sent it to the ECU.

2011-10-23_12-14-57_99.jpg

In total I addressed the following signals:

MREL: Fires the main relay (which I plucked from my other harness but could have used any relay)

Ignition: Brought it over from the fuse box, could have used any switched signal but should have a 7.5A fuse.

W, Warning: Rerouted choke light switch.

Stop: Not sure why the ECU needs this but it has it. I routed it from the switched side of the brake pedal switch.

Batt+: Routed from large white wire in main harness next to the AC stuff. This supplies constant 12V and requires a 15A fuse.

Large white wire...

2011-10-22_14-15-14_461.jpg

B+: There are two wires and are supplied by the EFI main relay that is switched by MREL.

AC: I tapped into the AC clutch signal, see the FJ60 FSM schematic for that wire.

4WD: Here I tapped into the 4WD light in the dash BEFORE the light. This could dim the light since I'm creating a voltage divider here. I don't see why the ECU needs this, it likely runs just fine in 2WD, if there is an issue with the 4WD light I will just pull this signal.

NSW: I gave this switched 12V by tapping into the wire I routed for ignition.

STA: This is the crank signal from the ignition key switch. I routed this through a kill switch. I'm not sure what effect it will have since the engine will still crank. If it still starts I will will route NSW and STA through the kill switch.

Speed: I did not hook this up to anything.

Other things I did are extend the alt harness and turn the 2 wire into a 3 wire. I kept this 50A fuse from the 80 series schematic.

2011-10-23_16-18-32_954-1.jpg

I think I have this alt wiring right. It looks like there is an extra 12V wire leading to the voltage regulator which I included.

I need to install the wire up the fuel pump.

I also extended the O2 sensor connectors with high temp split loom.

I need to extend the AC signal under the hood and I think that does it for wiring.

Where I stand now, I need to install the alternator with the remainder of the accessories, radiator, etc...

I need to install the fuel lines and figure out the evap.

I need to install the d-shafts, clutch slave, and fill all fluids. I need to put the dash back together.

At this point it's very unlikely the cruiser will make it to the Surf & Turf due to limited time to work on it over the next few weeks. However, I have my trusty backup, the H3, so WE will make the S&T.

2011-10-17_07-25-41_516-1.jpg

Frank

Last edited:
excellent thread that goes completely over my head.

are you going to keep the 2f block for a possible 2fe conversion when time/funds allow for rebuilding it?

excellent thread that goes completely over my head.

are you going to keep the 2f block for a possible 2fe conversion when time/funds allow for rebuilding it?

Very good question. I would like to do that but am not sure. If I can sweet talk my dad into lending some garage space for it sure but I think I will have to sell it and do the 2FE in a few years. I'd like to get my use out of this block and move on to other upgrades.

Clearly with the 2F's #6 at 100 PSI it's days are numbered but it runs reasonably well so it could be dropped into another truck or be a good candidate for a 2FE for someone else.

Frank

Great post and very detailed. I had been thinking about doing the cruiserparts thing but seems cost prohibitive at the time.

One thing to keep in mind with swaps of any type is that there can be many hidden costs. The Cruiserparts route will simplify things tremendously. You can get a turn key engine with all accessories from them and just install it.

I'm using an 80 series so I'm spending money elsewhere but that's how it goes.

In hindsight, I could have probably bought a beat up 62 and did the swap that way and assuming most of the accessories and engine were drop in ready saved time and money. However, most beat up trucks don't have pristine powertrains so you know how that goes.

Frank

Progress has been slow but there has been some as well as a set back.

Progress...

All the front accessories are installed. I ordered AC hoses, a cool $200 bucks. I also ordered that GM charcoal canister which you can read about in the 80 series forum if you like for $36 instead of $370 for the Toyota.

I installed the O2 sensors and secured the cables.

2011-11-19_11-48-19_523.jpg

2011-11-19_11-48-08_843.jpg

These rubberized cable clamps are great.

I got the fuel pump and filter installed but ran out of hose clamps to finish. I got too covered in gas to do the wiring, will do that next weekend.

The lower of the larger hoses is the pressure line. When you cut it get ready to plug it.

2011-11-20_13-40-22_948.jpg

2011-11-20_13-40-38_23.jpg

Installed, used a pump from Summit racing that produces about 43 PSI. I got the filter from Summit too. I got the pump and filter with 3/8" fittings which works well with the existing hardware.

2011-11-20_15-18-55_867.jpg

2011-11-20_15-18-48_388.jpg

Ample use of those little clamps re-secured the fuel lines. I did have to drill them out to take advantage of the existing fasteners.

2011-11-20_15-19-01_45.jpg

I was getting into the heater hoses, I believe I have figured them out. I need a T-fittling to "T" in the rear heater return to the return line.

2011-11-20_13-33-17_298.jpg

I used this picture to get a feel for how it goes. I do not have the return line port on the engine piping so I need a T to make up for it. I'll take a pic when I'm done to help it make more sense.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273561&d=1226370134

Now for the bad news...

2011-11-20_13-44-11_159.jpg

Yep that's a crack, go figure. I have no idea how it happened but I can only assume it did so during the removal or install. I now have a post in the wanted section for a t-case. If you have one please let me know.

Frank

Last edited:
Well it's been a while since I have updated, yep I'm still working on it.

I mounted the pedal. Basically I used it to locate a hole in the firewall. I was able to reuse the existing pedal. I had to shim it away from the firewall with a few oversized nuts to take up some slack in the cable but it seems to be working well.

2012-01-02_10-26-03_6431.jpg

Here is a pic of the cable leaving the firewall.

2011-12-24_14-00-53_351.jpg

I ended up removing this heat shield since it was in the way. I don't see why I would need it since the exhaust is now much farther away from the brake booster.

2011-12-24_14-01-51_9081.jpg

I'm waiting for an ignitor to show up, the stocker won't work. In the mean time I have been cleaning up the underhood and replacing old vacuum lines with new ones. I did buy new intake ducting from CDan to replace the dry rotted originals.

Assuming the ignitor gets here I should be able to start it up. The fuel pump is flowing, the CEL comes on when the key is in the on position (indicating signs of life from the ECU) so we shall see.

I still have to fix the t-case but if she starts up I'm in the home stretch.

Engine conversions are a lot of work.

Frank

Figured it was time for more fun with 3FE swaps.

Last weekend I..

- I had to replace the ignitor with one from an 80 series 3FE and get a coil wire (read whole set of plug wires) because that coil wire is not compatible with my original one. It is larger on the ignitor end and has a positive locking tab.

2012-01-15_12-48-42_5831.jpg

- Realized I was not sending power to the fuel injectors. I actually found that out by accident when I was going through the ignitor wiring. To fix this I rummaged through the other wiring harness which has mostely body electronics as well as some ignition and cruise control stuff. I matched up the connectors per the pick above. I couldn't help but notice this white connector looked a lot like one under the dash that wasn't plugged into anything...

2012-01-15_13-24-41_6961.jpg

I found the Black/green stripe wires on the other side of that white plug and powered them under the dash. By plugging into the engine harness via the while connector I then had power to the fuel injectors. I did have to take a decent portion of the other harness apart to extract the wires and connectors I needed. I didn't have to do this, I could have wired the injector wires up to any switched 12V that can handle say 15A but this was cleaner.

After troubleshooting some of those flaky tap splices guess what. It started!!!!!!!! I almost cried.

It didn't want to idle at first but that's probably because I forgot to fill it up before this all began and there has likely condensed much water in the gas tank. The more I run it the better it idles.

This weekend I installed the drive shafts as well as some other under-truck stuff and worked on cleaning up the under dash wiring. I'm putting everything in loom and cutting wires to the correct length.

I did make a funny blunder. I noticed the lights were on so I turned them off. Then I was testing my kill switch and the truck wouldn't start. I thought I had succeeded but unkilling the switch didn't make it start. Much measuring voltages and wading through schematics and I realized that I was tapping off the tail light leads which only energize when the lights are on. This explained my parasitic drain on the battery go figure. Now it's on the wiper lead and the truck fires right up... no more parasitic drain either.

One immediate observation is that this engine has instant throttle response compared to the old 2F. The exhaust has an interesting almost ricey sound to it.

I did find that I have a coolant leak around the water pump gasket. I'm not sure why, it's new, but the gasket looks kinda crinkled up by the leak so I will have to pull all of that off next weekend.

So far I have a few more tap splices to remove and solder up the wires. I'm making this into a real harness. Tap splices are great for getting things working but soldering is far more reliable.

My remaining list is...

- Fill T-Case
- Bleed clutch
- Make sure I don't have the PS lines swapped because the PS is making funny noises and not working right at all.
- Change the o-ring on the brake resevior.
- Fix the aformentioned coolant leak
- Hook up the tach by splicing in one of the original ignitor wires into the equivalent new one.
- Figure out why the oil pressure gauge climbs to the top as soon as you turn the key "on" regardless of whether the engine is running or not
- Make sure the temp gauge works, I think I need to connect the new engine harness to the original gauge wire, not sure exactly there.
- Take her to an AC shop and get the old and new lines spliced together, clean the system, and charge it.
- Tackle this pesky drive line vibration that persists after balancing the shaft and making sure the t-case preload is correct.

I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. If I work hard next weekend I should be able to drive it home from my folk's place to mine. That will feel really good.

Frank

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom