side panel storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2mbb

SILVER Star
Threads
So I finally was able to install the WagonGear side panel doors over the past couple of weekends. I received them from Kevin before Christmas, but I was on crutches for a month and am just now starting to get around with an orthopedic boot--I ruptured my Achilles tendon on New Years.

Anyway, as expected Kevin's product is great. The install went smoothly. Now my question is: what are others putting in the quarter panels, and what types of boxes or bags are you using to keep things organized and dry?

This past summer I had received the tail gate lid, installed it, and inside I am keeping my straps, bungee cords and stuff like that.

4396164785_9161befb8a_o.jpg

4396163941_9c8cefe06e_o.jpg

For the right side, I relocated the EVAP vapor separator to the rear of the filler tube. I cut out a sheet metal bracket and screwed it onto the inside of the D pillar.

4396165617_d84bf0f758_o.jpg

4396930654_d4294e91c8_o.jpg

I had to modify my inside tire rack so it can pivot down to allow access to the left side quarter panel. I still have room to store my spare air filter between the rack and the panel.

4396929884_8a3b038eec_o.jpg

4396929018_8b265c8224_o.jpg

Now I'm ready to fill the quarter panels up with stuff! Moving onto the storage ideas, I've seen some pictures with the quarter panels stuffed with bottles--antifreeze, oil, etc. and I'm wondering how that works? Any leaks or busted bottles? I have been keeping my spare fluids in a plastic square bucket, but the bottom of the bucket keeps cracking, so I need to find a better solution.

I did find this waterproof plastic container: a Plano 3741-00. It was about $10. It will hold most of my misc. parts, hoses, etc., and it fits inside the panel, too.

4396928120_89f59b3417_o.jpg

Post up with your other ideas! Thanks.

Last edited:
Very nice.
I reckon i could get my mother in law in the tailgate section.

did you have to cutout the tailgate metal to make that hatch accesible??

thanks, wow that looks scary!!! which this brings up a few questions, 1. doesnt that make the tailgate weaker, 2 do you really want that extra weight in the tailgate, and there dosent that objects get in the way of the licence plat lights???

thanks, wow that looks scary!!! which this brings up a few questions, 1. doesnt that make the tailgate weaker, 2 do you really want that extra weight in the tailgate, and there dosent that objects get in the way of the licence plat lights???

1. It doesn't appear any weaker. The WagonGear door frame provides a lot of structural stability to the tail gate.

2. Yes, it is heavier now. I'm usng mine to store straps and such, so I haven't added too much weight.

3. The license plate lights are on the outside. There are the lock control rods in the top of the gate, but I haven't had any problems yet. I lined the outer skin of the tailgate with sound deadening product (quietcrap) and covered the license plate wires.

ok thanks, so do you think these could be homeade or should I just buy it?

those are awsome!! I think I am going to study that thread and give making my own a shot

Last edited:
I'm pretty positive that he's not outsourcing any of it.

A guy asked if these could be home made. I said Kevin was making them at "home". By outsourcing I was referring to things like laser cut metal panels and powder coating. If Kevin has a laser cutting machine at home, then my apologies to him (and you), but I really think Kevin is getting those services from someone else. And no offense to Kevin--that's part of what makes his product so nice.

Last edited:
Nope, no laser cutter in this garage, and no powder coat oven.
Johnny was just talking about the actual building since he's hung out while I've put a few together.
My laser cutter is a big part of the process, none of this stuff would happen without him.

I built a fair number of them completely in my garage to start with though, so completely doable. Check in the original thread and you can see the progression, the angle iron parts make a homebuilt version fairly approachable.

As for the storage, my 1/4s are no where near as nice as the ones pictured here so I don't worry about it as much, I've had pretty good luck just putting the bottles right in there, some have developed a little weep spot after many thousands of miles, but not enough to make a mess. I put other stuff in plastic bags and then put those bags in cheap canvas bags or old totes, things that I don't care about and that keeps stuff clean and organized.
The only things I store in the panels are stuff that I rarely ever need, so I can wrap most of it up to keep it clean.

If it is really an issue for you, or you are really anal, I have a metal bin that I can make for people who insist on it. I'm not a fan of it since I feel that it cuts down on the useable space, but I'll attach a pic.
:cheers:
IMG_6595.jpg

Thanks for posting up, Kevin. That box looks nice! I'm thinking about a shelf that is supported from the lower, inner quarter panel skin. and maybe a back on the shelf to ceep things from banging against the outer quarter skin.

Or just use some diy bed-liner on the inside of the 1/4? Maybe a 2X normal build-up?

Here's what I ended up doing on the passenger side, where a lot of the space is taken up with the gas filler neck. I fabricated a small basket (not as nice as the one that kevin shows above) using some expanded metal I had lying around. This holds a tool roll (now protected in a large plastic bag) and some other smaller tool boxes (sockets, etc.). I can fit three quart-size oil containers down at the bottom of the fender well, below all the fuel line to the evaporator. I vacuum sealed each oil can, then wrapped it in a large tyvek envelope for some abrasion resistance. I'm not sure how this will hold up to a lot of water, but it doesn't rain much where I am.

I found some very large ziplock bags at Target, but I didn't use them here. I also purchased polyethylene sand bags from Mcmaster (25 for $10). they are strong, but not waterproof--which makes sense since a water-filled sand bags won't do much good.

On the other side, I put in a shelf, supported by brackets bolted to the lower inner quarter panel to hold a couple of the plano boxes I show above. Now I've pretty much cleaned up the cargo area...
side panel basket.jpg
side panel oil can shring wrap.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom