Aftermarket non-springy relay rod ends on SUA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
All:

My FJ62 has the OME heavy/heavy kit, installed by me, and 33x1250's on Eagle Alloys. It also has new tie rod ends, new relay rod ends, a new tie rod and a new relay rod. I have also tightened the steering box. Still, it wanders a bit, especially on rutted roads. I have not added caster shims.

I have wondered for a long time why Toyota designed the relay rod with those spring-loaded ends. On my FJ62, I have those relay rod ends snugged down pretty tight in an attempt to eliminate the relay rod as a source of the steering wander.

But I'd like to run a relay rod with solid tie rod ends.

Has anyone with a spring-under suspension replaced their relay rod with something that does not have those springy ends? If so, how has it worked out, and where did you source it?

Thanks.

Hey Rigger, adding the shims make a world of difference. You're probably feeling the under-steer a lot more in the ruts which amplify the wander.

Step one, fix the caster. Step two, FZJ80 rod ends on my drag link (pitman arm to passenger knuckle) work great. They will work just as great this winter when I put them in for my tie rod (knuckle to knuckle.) There are many other steering or 'tie' rod ends that are much less expensive that will work great also. You may have to retaper the knuckles and pitman arm but this is not a hard task.

You can get a insert that will fit the FJ60 pitman arm so you can use a TRE for that if you wish. When you start to mix and match the rod ends for tie rod/drag link etc. be sure to check the thread diameter and if it is CW or CCW thread so you can adjust toe in/steering wheel center etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom