ROTM Arnott1t's Northern HJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Arnott1t’s ROTM
Well it all started when I was about 14 or so. The family bought a rusty BJ 42 with a 3b diesel. For a couple years I rode with my brother in the cruiser to school and back. It was a great little truck on stock tire with everything else stock but the body. It had been poorly re-done with about 15 gallons of bondo to get it “straight”. Once I turned 16 my bro headed to university and the cruiser was mine. After a brief stint driving it to school it went into the high school body shop and came under the knife. Here I widdled away at the rust and eventually got it primed. Here is a couple pics of the entire process….

101-0105_IMG.jpg

103-0303_IMG.jpg

111-1139_IMG.jpg

100-0012_IMG_2.jpg

This is more or less where I started. We had the cruiser blasted and in the process it lost a lot of weight…
100-0058_IMG.jpg

100-0003_IMG.jpg

100-0001_IMG_2.jpg

Here it is pre-me driving/body work….
landcruiser.jpg

This is it after in primer
90fbcc47.jpg

Well this isn’t about the 40 but that’s how I got the bug.

Last edited:
The 60 I now own was bought out of Victoria BC and as I understand is a compilation of a couple trucks. It is an 87 HJ 60 with 5 speed. I bought it from another mud member and friend of mine RigPig. I picked it up in September of last year. I flew down to see it sight unseen and as I was assured by the owner that it was mint…. It was. What a beautiful truck. I’d never ridden in or driven a 60 before that day. A friend I met while in Prince George had a great BJ 60 turbo that I loved and I had since always craved one. After being picked up at the airport in my new ride we went for supper and the following day I started the trek home to Fort Mcmurray. Here are some pictures of the rig when I bought it…

The truck drove like a champ. We didn’t have a lick of trouble the entire way home. This was a huge plus wince we also didn’t have any tools on board. I was blown away with the ride of the truck and its mileage. During one fuel up we averaged close to 24mpg. The truck came to me with about a 2.5” lift and a new set of 33 x 9.5 BFG AT’s. It also had an empty ARB bull bar on the front set up for an 8274.

Copyof100_0262.jpg

Copyof100_0262.jpg

Copyof100_0262.jpg

One of the first projects with this truck was to build a back bumper since it didn’t have one. I wanted something solid that offered protection and limited overhang. This is what I came up with.
P1040236.jpg

P1040238.jpg

P1040239.jpg

Its been great so far and has certainly got me out of trouble a time or two. It doesn’t have a swing out…. I like the swing outs but I’m in the back all the time with the dogs so I opted out of one.

Next was a set of sliders. A simple tube style ladder design was fabbed up and bolted on. The turned out pretty good too. I have even used them to skid around trees or over the odd obstacle.

P1040230.jpg

P1040228.jpg

P1040234.jpg

Next was the winch and rear locker. I found the winch up in Fort Mac for a good deal and it even turned out to be a 24V..or so he said. It pulled me through so good holes a time or two but eventually died on me after a leaving myself and a friend of mine stuck in the bush. With some chainsaws and jack alls we managed to get out. The locker was the single best upgrade that I have done. It has increased the capability more than I ever imagined. The install was a little time consuming but not that hard. We need to thin down the spacers in the diff in order to get proper clearances. This Aussie locker has worked flawlessly. I was worried at first about using it since I live in snow for about 8 months a year. Even in the snow the truck did better. I rarely used 4x4 unless in deep snow or climbing icy hills. The locker is very stable and predictable. I LOVE it. Once the summer did roll around it still impressed me. Crawling up hills is much easier now even in 2wd.

Can’t remember what was next but sometime during it all I added my other favourite upgrade. The turbo. After buying a turbo I though would work off of Kijiji and installing it on the factory upside down manifold I was away. This install was a little longer but well worth it. At first I was have trouble not blowing oil by the seals of the turbo. Turn out my oil pressure was too high. I installed a needle valve, knocked the pressure down and away I went. The turbo really wakes the truck up. I am currently peaking at about 15psi of boost and a max EGT of 1200f on long hills. IT will pull hills in 4th that used to require third. It can pass a lot more comfortably on the highway and overall seem to work great. I won’t deny I had my troubles though. The first of which was on the oil supply line to the turbo. The fitting on the turbo is a -3 and the block is a 1/8” BSPT. I was unable to get anything to work and had to basterdize a fitting together. This came back to haunt me on a 1400 km trip to the Okanogan at about 9pm just outside of Edmonton Alberta. I removed the turbo on the spot and drove or limped it to Calgary with wide open exhaust…. EGT’s were 1000-1200 the entire time but engine temps were low. The promlems I had were again with the oil line as well as gaskets around the turbo. I was using gasket material that did not have a high enough temp rating. I have since switch it all out and everything seem to work pretty darn well now. I have a buil thread in the diesel section for the turbo.

2Hturbo004.jpg

Turbo2H030.jpg

Turbo2H004.jpg

Through the winter while winter wheeling I often wanted to air down for added traction. In order to do so I needed a way to air up. This meant on board air. I installed a AC compressor from an old Chrysler and move air around very well. It is plumbed to a pressure switch and a tank and manifold in the back.

Tyler002.jpg

Tyler004.jpg

Tyler006.jpg

Another thing I wanted was storage. I built a set of drawer like many others have for the back of the cruiser. This was another great mod that I don’t think I could live with out. I have enough tools and fluids for a lot of trailside work to be done. Once my other air tank is complete I’ll be able to carry a full assortment of air tools as well.

Tyler007.jpg

Tyler010.jpg

Tyler012.jpg

Tyler013.jpg

Last edited:
When spring rolled around I started to do a little more wheeling. Managed to sink the cruiser one day in some deep water to about the seats or so. This caused me some electrical grief with the glow system. This meant I converted it to a manual glow with all new glow plugs. Another mod shortly after that was a snorkel. I did a home made one using some 3” steel tube and rubber intake elbows ordered from and industrial supply store. Next I installed a Donaldson prefilter. It works pretty darn good. Within a couple days its easy do dump a teaspoon of dirt out even when just driving around town. Here are some pics of the snorkel.
100_0266.jpg

100_0265.jpg

100_0264.jpg

As wheeling experience improved I wanted to get more serious. This meant a bigger set of tires. I started looking for a set of 35’s. I didn’t want to go new since I wasn’t positive they would work out. I thought I could squeeze them in up front with a little rubbing but the rear was sagged and wouldn’t take them. I always wanted to run bags on a truck so this was my chance. I installed bags and can get an extra 2-4” of lift depending on the pressure in them. They also got rid of any axle rap problems I was having.

100_0250.jpg

100_0251.jpg

100_0259.jpg

Raising the pressure
100_0259.jpg

100_0263.jpg

Copyof100_0262.jpg

That bags let me clear 35’s in the back. They still ride real good with about 35psi in them. I currently have them tied to manual shrader valves but want to do a more trick electrical adjustable system. I also want to bag the front some time. This should let me run big tires and still fit in the garage.

Last edited:
Nice weimie :)

BTW, how is the Dodge air compressor holding up? Was it a self oiling unit?

Nice rig...love the write up and pics.

Sorry for a the jumble of pics. I have a ton more coming... hope thats ok.

Air compressor has a oil sump and pumps great no real troubles other than in my plumbing.

Bags don't limit flex so long as they arn't pumped right up. I can still get it on the bump stops.

I'll try and get it dirty over the next few days off and take some more pics....then clean it up. One mod I missed was my version of tailgate storage. A shameless low budget imitation of wagon gears...

So here are some more pics for now.
The first couple are from our friends ranch in BC. It is a great property and is where I got my first body damage.
P1040507.jpg

P1040508.jpg

P1040509.jpg

More winter wheeling..
IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

The time I burnt my winch out...
IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

Honeymoon with the wife...
IMG_0015.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

More to come as there uploaded

This is one of favorite spots up here. Its great. Its the winter road that lead to fort chipywan and eventually fort smith on the border of the territories. Cool wheeling. You can go further than we did on quads. The don't allow truck up there due to the fragile ecosytem.
IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

And some poser "rock crawling" shots

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Nice pics. I've been up to Ft. McM quite a few times, but have never had the time/balls/local friends to go looking for wheeling locations. If I'm up that way again, I'll have to get in touch. :cheers:

hehe :)

love the videos!

naka naka naka naka

-Carl

Never believed the old saying ," the little engine that could......chugga...chugga....chugga....chugga " until Tyler got that turbo installed. Just keeps on going and got us home. Best part is that many times I guarantee if we were stranded it would be a long walk!!!

Now get that thing sprung over and some big boy tires. The 40's around here are getting bigger.........:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom