Starts and runs only on choke. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BulletHead

Village Idiot
Threads
I tried searching but did not find anything on this issue. My 87 60 has been sitting for a good 6 months. I tried starting yesterday and this morning and it wants to only run when the choke is pulled. It dies when the choke is pushed in and does not want to start without the choke pulled. I let it run on choke for a good 10 minutes and it still doesnt want to run normally. The wires and spark plugs are about 10k old. It has 141k on it.

Check your engine fuse. Done any work recently? All the vacuum lines are connected?

it was running perfect until i parked it. only thing i have done is replaced a battery.

fuel filter was replaced 20k ago. i have about 1/8 tank.

ill try it out tonite. thanks.

does anyone have pictures of the location of the fuel selonoid and fusible link? My brother is having the same problem with his...

thanks,
ML

Running only on choke leads me to believe you might have a vac leak. Choke is restricting air to fatten up on cold start and warm up. If it wont run with no choke your probable getting air other than through the throttle plates and idle circuit. Give it a good squirt down with some brake cleaner. I could be wrong but is definitely a possibilty. The other inputs are good ideas too. Check em all.

Good luck.

Definately points to a lean condition. Check for vac leaks, and the fuel cut solenoid, as suggested, but if it has been sitting for that long, I would think you may have some gunk in the carb left over from old, evaporated fuel, plugging up the passages and/or idle circuit. If the other suggestions don't cure it, it may be up for a rebuild, or at least tear down and good cleaning.

all i did was change the battery though, how could that blow the fusable link?

Check your engine fuse. Done any work recently? All the vacuum lines are connected?

Start here. Stranger thing have happened. If the fuse is bad the idle solenoid won't engage. Been there, done that.

I'll pile on the 'gunk in carb' wagon. Pull the fuel inlet off, sheild yer damn eyes, and spray some carb cleaner up the inlet. Wrap the side of the carb w/ the handle on a good sized screwdriver or similar. You just might free a stuck float w/o rebuilding the carb.
It's a long shot, but 1000 times easier than a teardown. If the idle circuit is gummed up, (that's where my money is) then it't ime for a teardown. Next time use a fuel stabilizer, like Marvel Mystery Oil, or Sta-Bil.

Only if the carb has recently been rebuilt, then maybe the bowl gasket(s) will survive being reused. Pop the carb top off while still on the truck, and get happy w/ that carb cleaner, some compressed air, use yer imagination.

Last edited:
so the fusable link is that short wire going from the (+) terminal to a big round connector? thats the wire that burns out?

so the fusable link is that short wire going from the (+) terminal to a big round connector? thats the wire that burns out?

I pretty sure the fusible link is in between the small battery cable and the wiring harness. It has 3 wires.

hmm, i just have one small single wire going from the (+) into a big round connector and that going into another round connector. how do i know if the cable is working?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom