gauge cluster interchange? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heres a tricky one for the mud wizards:

Are gauge cluster parts interchangable?

As far as I can tell, the outer faceplate is unchanged through the years.

Behind that is the plate with the graphics, which, while the graphics vary, appears to mount the same way and should be swappable?

What about the meat behind that? Ignoring any electrical differences, will gauges from all years physically fit into any other year?

The significant difference is when they changed in 09/73 and went to the printed circuit board and the single round multi-pin connector on the rear of the instrument cluster.

There are instrument changes between years on the printed board style, and instrument location changes as well.

the actual gauges are interchangable but there is a big difference between the pre 72 1/2 and like the 73's they used a different style speedo cable connector and they also had blinker lights in the speedo gauge. another difference is that the gauge lights are in different sopts and there a different style

the actual gauges are interchangable

Please detail those instruments that are interchangeable between the pre 1972 and post 1972 clusters....

I was wonedring,

Could you install an older guage into a newer 40 if you just wired it up correctly?

Question: What about the speed-O what years are the changes from screw to push clip ?

09/72 started the clip, previous was screw in.

:beer:

I was wonedring,

Could you install an older guage into a newer 40 if you just wired it up correctly?

Your question is broad enough to give only a 'maybe'

After you deal with the fact that the older guages ground differently than the newer ones, then you get to contemplates the difference in ohms in the senders. Jim at Downey banged his head on this one with the fuel senders and guages for quite some time, and has posted the difference between pre and post 72s here before.

I used the trial and error method with the water temp guages and came up short. Never bothered getting into the 'science' of the different ohms for the senders.

Even something as simple as the ammeter took a little engineering on my part to get it to work, but I did, and now run a '77 ammeter in my '64. I did it over 10 years ago, and didn't take notes, but I can tell you it was far from a straight swap.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom