Taurus fan- Which temp control switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Threads
I've read all (ok most) of the Taurus install threads and seen a LOT of wiring diagrams and even installed my Taurus fan. It works great, but...

I keep FRYING the temp switch controllers! So far I'm out about $120 and Derale says no warranty as it is past the max rating (25 amps). Does anyone have a tried and tested Temp Control Kit that won't fry at these high Amps? They just want me to buy all their s*** and dump my Taurus fan. For now I just want to find a controller that will work. I'm not looking for a Taurus fan debate.

Thanks.

Gotta run your temp switch with relays.. That way, they won't die..

Thanks guys. I'm going to dig out the wiring schematics I have. I knew about the relays, I suppose I just assumed that the controller relay would do the trick on the low side. I have a relay in place for the manual "HI" mode. I'll take a closer look.

Here's what I've got...

The kit has a built in relay and it runs the low side of the fan. Do I need another relay on the low side? Derale says I fried the control box that the relay plugs into. Sorry for the bad 2 second schematic...

EDIT: Here's the temp kit: http://www.derale.com/adjust-fan-controller.html
fan-schematic.jpg

Last edited:
Dom, the above Link to the Summit Temp switch would act as the ground for your relay, when the temp gets above 210 degrees it grounds the circut (your relay) and kicks on the fan..

this is a link to my build and my diagram.. works good so far!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1070112&postcount=45

Surprisingly, I've had no problem with the cheap 40a relays so far. I have plenty of extras in case I blew one, but I've been using the same ones for almost 3 years now with no issues.

I used 30A Bosch relays and had no issues either. I blew the 30A fuse a few times so I bought a 40A blade style and never had issues again...

Dom, I used a large napa relay I found in a thread, I think on the pirate board, I just use a simple probe temp switch from summit that pokes into my radiator, not the cleanest solution probably, but I have never had problems and it works great! I also have a lighted switch under the dash as well to shut off/on manually.

Noah

taurus fan control

The po had installed a couple of the cheap (cheap made but not cheap $) fan controllers on my rig. I never trusted it to protect my engine in fact the low speed never worked (fried). I spent a lot of time reading and did not like most of the systems I saw. I went with the keep it simple approach using Horton temperature switches in the manifold and head and used the tyco 75 amp motor relays. I run a 160 F thermostat, the fan should come on 20 deg above the thermostat setpoint. The low speed control comes on at 185 F, the switch is in the intake manifold, the switch picks up one of the 75 amp relays. The high speed comes on at 195 F, the switch is in the head, it picks up a 30/40 amp cube relay that drops out the 75 amp low speed relay and picks up the high speed 75 amp relay. The horton switches are very high quality and are used on large truck type diesel engine electric fan clutches. I picked them up for $15 each on ebay (normally about $50 ea). The 75 amp tyco relays are made for running inductive type loads such as the fan motor, I picked them up for $17 each on ebay. I used a couple 40 amp 12 v breakers from autozone for overcurrent protection. 99% of the work is done by the very robust low speed horton switch and 75 amp relay, with the other switch and relay in reserve. Although not elegant, it is very robust and will last for years. I don't like messing with this stuff over and over when the solution is so simple. If you like, I can send pictures and the schematic details.

Relays

White Rogers WR70-111224. Use one for the low and one for the high. They look like starter solenoids but are continuous duty and rated for 80 amps. Totally bullet- (and water-) proof. Don't use starter solenoids, they'll burn out in a short time. Also the 4-pin auto relays like used for air conditioners are too weak--my Taurus fan draws almost 100 amps for a second at startup and the little 4-pin relays only last a short time.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/6C028

Here is my wiring diagram. I have done this a couple times now and it worked so well I plan to do it again. The only weakness is the reliability of the POS Hayden adjustable thermostat from Autozone. I plan to use the Summit ground-activated thermostat (I am assuming this is how it works) and plumb it to the 85 port/ground of relay #2 and get rid of the Hayden themostat like it never existed there.

The big thing about this setup is it provides TWO illuminated switches that have no load through it (so they should last), one switch that turns the fan off, and the other that puts it in high. For the off switch I used a bright red illuminated switch (so I would remember to turn it back on) and a blue switch for when the fan was in high (which is unreal pulling power). The fan also turns off (or on) with the ignition in the on position...

I never had any issues with Bosch 30 amp relays, and I used 40 amp inline fuses, and had no issues at all.... You do not need massive switches and relays.
3Relay_TaurusWiringDiagram.jpg

That's pretty much the same wiring I used, but a much prettier diagram! Why do you need three relays? If you use two SPDT switches and only switch the low amperage side, they will last forever. The White-Rogers relay mentioned above is about the same thing as the NAPA relay but I got mine for $14.95 on the web instead of $40. I used a 30 amp inline fuse too and it has never burned. The instantaneous 100 amp draw doesn't blow fuses but it will eat relay points.

I don't like my cheap temp switch either. I looked at Summit's--are they adjustable? It seemed like it had a built in temp range.

Jim

That's pretty much the same wiring I used, but a much prettier diagram! Why do you need three relays? If you use two SPDT switches and only switch the low amperage side, they will last forever. The White-Rogers relay mentioned above is about the same thing as the NAPA relay but I got mine for $14.95 on the web instead of $40. I used a 30 amp inline fuse too and it has never burned. The instantaneous 100 amp draw doesn't blow fuses but it will eat relay points.

I don't like my cheap temp switch either. I looked at Summit's--are they adjustable? It seemed like it had a built in temp range.

Jim

The three relays is specifically so it can be illuminated... You can run two relays and one switch only, an off/on/high switch and be done with it. I wanted idiot lights to tell me the fan was off or on high...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom