Oil Change Interval - months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sj

Threads
I have tried searching and not found anything specific. My wifes DD the 100 but doesn't but put that many miles on. I changed the oil back in July, so seven months ago but has only gone about 3.5k miles. If going by months only. How long on average can one go between changes? Or should I go more by milage, say 5k miles regardless of how long it takes?

Sean

2UZ-FE is easy on oil. I'd worry more about corrosion or sludging if it never gets hot enough to evaporate all of the condensation.

That said, I'd wager even 10k would be fine. 5k no sweat. If you're worried, run it to 5k and send a sample to Blackstone.

if you drive the vehicle and it gets up to operating temp on regular basis then you can go by mileage....if it sits for long periods you need to change it based on age as contaminants will leach into the oil from the engine and moisture will form from condensation which will also degrade oil.

If the mileage is short trips every couple days and it gets fully up to temp to burn off condensation I would change it at around 8-12 months if using a high quality synthetic oil with a equally capable filter media. If the trips are such that it barely gets warm.....and no regular extended driving is done every week or two...then I would change it every 6 months just because of water condensation and contaminants.

I use full synthetic and change it at 9-10k miles. I send my sample to Blackstone and results have been superb. The oil change intervals is usually once a year. What you can do is to get a type of syringe to suck some of the oil out and send in the sample to Blackstone. It will tell you the condition of the oil and whether you should run it longer or not. Do it now, then do it again at a year mark.

Change it every 6 months

Although this guy's advice is one notch above Jiffy Lube's, I see no reason to blindly change it on a 6 month interval.

I use 15,000 mile oil, therefore I change it every 15,000 miles. No issues.

Ditto landcruiser4life. I run Mobil 1 extended perf. Oil and run a full 15,000 miles between oil changes. Have a Camry with 262,000 miles and have had no issues and no oil burning or consumption. I always run the matching extended perf. Oil filter too for the longer duration.

Not meaning to hijack...but I have to ask. 1. what oil/filter do you run, and 2. have you sent samples off to Blackstone?

I swap between Mobil 1 and Castrol. Both make the super long lasting 15,000 mile oil. Amsoil makes an even better one which is guaranteed for 25,000 miles. When I have time I am going to get the Amsoil product. Filter is stock Toyota.

No, I don't send off samples to anyone. Actually, when I do the oil changes, the oil is still very viscous in the hand.

I swap between Mobil 1 and Castrol. Both make the super long lasting 15,000 mile oil. Amsoil makes an even better one which is guaranteed for 25,000 miles. When I have time I am going to get the Amsoil product. Filter is stock Toyota.

No, I don't send off samples to anyone. Actually, when I do the oil changes, the oil is still very viscous in the hand.

And I feel bad going 8k w/ M1 and the M1-209 extended filter with 99% highway driving.....~600 miles a week.

And I feel bad going 8k w/ M1 and the M1-209 extended filter with 99% highway driving.....~600 miles a week.

2nd hijack - 600 mies a week in your LC?? I do about 500, but in my sedan that gets above 30mpg. I couldn't stomach the gas cost if I DD'ed my LC.

The last time I took my oil in to get it changed at over 7000 miles they told me afterwards to check the oil first next time. I asked why? They said the oil still looked brand new and when it's that clean I don't need to change it. I was dumbfounded as I towed my boat (1500#s) around a lot during the summer and thought I was way overdue for a change.

The guy was amazed by my 100 series landcruiser. He said he only sees surgeons and professors driving them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom