New LC owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have owned my 98 LC for almost a year now, but I have never had it in 4WD. My question may seem pretty silly, but isn't this model always in AWD? What's the purpose of the locking Diff button then? Sorry if this seems dumb, but needed to know as I am going on trip over two mountain passes next week.

Scott

The 100 is full-time 4wd drive but the front and rear axles are free to rotate at different speeds until you lock the center differential.

Scott,

As NMuzj said, the locking of the center will keep all power from going to a single wheel. While 4WD vehicles indeed deliver power to all 4, their achilles heel is allowing the single wheel without traction to continue to spin. There are two major types of controls that prevent this: mechanical and electronic. Mechanical controls - such as front, center, or rear locking differentials (aka 'lockers') make the locked channel operate as one piece. In the case of the center lock, it will force a 50/50 power distribution between front and rear. This means that at all times at least two wheels will be spinning. If you have a rear locker, then (if locked) a minimum of three will be spinning. So coming back to your question, the center lock is used to maximize available traction on slippery surfaces.

Later LC/LX's use electronic traction control in addition to the center lock (and they lose the optional rear lock). In this paradigm, the ABS system is used to brake undesirable wheel spin, therefore channeling power to the wheels with traction. The same system is also used to provide vehicle stability control by using differential braking to keep the truck from undesirable spins or rolls.

For your mountain trip, tires will make the biggest difference in your success than anything. A good snow (or even mud+snow) tire will maintain traction longer. Also remember, that good tires also improve braking.

Scott,

As NMuzj said, the locking of the center will keep all power from going to a single wheel. While 4WD vehicles indeed deliver power to all 4, their achilles heel is allowing the single wheel without traction to continue to spin. There are two major types of controls that prevent this: mechanical and electronic. Mechanical controls - such as front, center, or rear locking differentials (aka 'lockers') make the locked channel operate as one piece. In the case of the center lock, it will force a 50/50 power distribution between front and rear. This means that at all times at least two wheels will be spinning. If you have a rear locker, then (if locked) a minimum of three will be spinning. So coming back to your question, the center lock is used to maximize available traction on slippery surfaces.

Later LC/LX's use electronic traction control in addition to the center lock (and they lose the optional rear lock). In this paradigm, the ABS system is used to brake undesirable wheel spin, therefore channeling power to the wheels with traction. The same system is also used to provide vehicle stability control by using differential braking to keep the truck from undesirable spins or rolls.

For your mountain trip, tires will make the biggest difference in your success than anything. A good snow (or even mud+snow) tire will maintain traction longer. Also remember, that good tires also improve braking.

thanks for this post. this is why i love this board so much, me being a newb and all. Ry.

ok. so the '00 LX i have has no rear locker and instead, uses the elec traction control as a substitute. which is better? also, there was no longer a front locker option on the UZJ vs the 80 before it. i got the 100 because of the greater comfort, but does the lack of a rear locker (but with traction control instead) and lack of a front locker hamper it in any way vs the 80?

ok. so the '00 LX i have has no rear locker and instead, uses the elec traction control as a substitute. which is better? also, there was no longer a front locker option on the UZJ vs the 80 before it. i got the 100 because of the greater comfort, but does the lack of a rear locker (but with traction control instead) and lack of a front locker hamper it in any way vs the 80?

It just depends on what type of driving you intend to do. If you want to be a hardcore off-roader that can challenge any trail then an 80 is hard to beat. There have been a number of threads on the safety and performance of the ATRAC/VSC system. For 90% of most folks expeditions, ATRAC will serve you fine. It seems like the best solution for hard-core 100 drivers is to upgrade to a rear locker. Unlike a front locker, ATRAC will provide traction control for the front but still allow steering without hopping while the rear lock gives the maximum traction in the back. I've yet to seriously wheel mine 100, but the few trails I've been on the CDL + ATRAC + 4L seems to be a pretty serious combination. I'm anxious to explore to the capabilities of the 100 next summer.

If you want three opinions on lockers, ask two mudders! It all comes down to your mission, skill level, and disposable income!

I've driven an 03 LC and my 98 and I can say that ATRAC does indeed work, after going up the same hill with mine and then the newer one, it was so much easier with the ATRAC-equipped vehicle. Of course, it may have been too easy :p, it took all the fun outta tackling the hill but hey, it works!

I've driven an 03 LC and my 98 and I can say that ATRAC does indeed work, after going up the same hill with mine and then the newer one, it was so much easier with the ATRAC-equipped vehicle. Of course, it may have been too easy :p, it took all the fun outta tackling the hill but hey, it works!

Ya but it's accompanied by the cacophony of the ABS (ATRAC) system chattering the brakes. This of course is lessened with the CDL engaged. A purest would argue that pure mechanics (lockers) is the best form of machine vs. nature! :) Don't get me wrong, I fully embrace the 2000+ and selected one of that vintage specifically because of that feature.

I'm perfectly happy with my 98, I figure, the more electronics and all that, the more there is to go wrong... like my '92 Benz, it's a great car when it's working but a PITA when the tiniest thing goes wrong because then EVERYTHING gets effed up!

I'm perfectly happy with my 98, I figure, the more electronics and all that, the more there is to go wrong... like my '92 Benz, it's a great car when it's working but a PITA when the tiniest thing goes wrong because then EVERYTHING gets effed up!

Then you would love a Model T. :)

Actually, this is one of the reasons I am looking at adding a 40 to my Cruiser family... that and a short wheel base. Wanna mix things up a bit and not be stranded when the nukes get dropped.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom