16" BFGs vs 18" Duratracs/Tundy wheels***Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I finally got the Tundy wheels mounted up. I was going to go with BFGs again because I have had many sets and great luck with them. I liked the look of the Duratracs, but they were over $200 MORE than the BFGs. I didn't want to spend more for what to me was an unproven design. My tire guy tried to order the BFGs and found out they were on back order (275/70/18) and didn't really know when they would be in. I got impatient and went with the Goodyears instead. I like them. A lot. They look great and are VERY quiet. I think they make less noise than the BFGs. Haven't put many miles on them yet, so can't really comment on their performance yet, but so far I am glad I got them.
IMG_4144.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4265.jpg

And the driver side AND the Glamour Shot...
IMG_4145.jpg
IMG_4260.jpg
IMG_3262.jpg

Very Nice! Same wheels as my Hundy.

How did you get the Tundra center caps to work? I ended up using caps from my 18" LC wheels.

Did you measure the actual height of the DTs yet? My Cooper Zeon LTZs in 275-70R18 only measure 32 3/4" unloaded.

LCWannabe,

So the ones you had before were 285/75r16 BFG's? I have really been considering those but I am concerned about decreases in performance and noise. What was your impression when you went from the 275's to the 285 BFG's at first? Crazy noisy, crappy in other ways?

Of course those goodyears look pretty sweet too. Might have to check out the 16" version of those!

Thanks,

bluejack

I LOVE those wheels. Very nice! Again, x2 on the center caps; how did you make them work? Cheers!

Looking good! Wanna sell your 16" wheels? :grinpimp:

Your set up looks great, love the wheels and center caps. I have the DT's and like the GY MT's have had a hard time getting them balanced, now I have a slight pull. Getting my bearings replaced/repacked this week, hopefully that will help. Other than that, I have been pretty happy with the DT's.

Your set up looks great, love the wheels and center caps. I have the DT's and like the GY MT's have had a hard time getting them balanced, now I have a slight pull. Getting my bearings replaced/repacked this week, hopefully that will help. Other than that, I have been pretty happy with the DT's.

I had balancing issues with the Cooper Zeons (Same size and load range E) but the shop was able to get them almost perfect using Road Force. If you still have issues, try Road Force.

I am guessing that many LC owners running 10 ply (E-RAted) tires are having balance issues - these tires are very heavy running on the 100.

Thank you for the compliments. I really like the look a lot. It updates the look of the whole vehicle IMO. It doesn't look like a 10 year old vehicle.
- Center caps- I have 1.5" wheel spacers- center caps just popped right on :grinpimp:
- Yes, my old tires were 285/75/16 BFGs. They were great. As I posted, I was planning to get another set for the 18s, but it didn't work out. Hard to compare to the stock setup. I didn't run the stock setup for very long, and it's been a while. I think they are louder and little heavier than stock, but not bad at all. Definitely NOT "crazy noisy". Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages right?
- The Duratracs- I too have a balance issue. I think I'll go over my lunch hour today and have it looked at. I think it's the front passenger side. We'll see. FWIW, I also had a balance issue with the BFGs when they were mounted. Got it fixed and they were great after that. I read many reviews on the Duratracs before purchase. They sound great on snow/ice, and they look like they will be great for the several times a year I get off pavement, and they're not loud at all (at leats not yet). I'll definitely update after a winter of driving on them.
- I have had several ask about selling the 16s. I had planned to keep them, but not really sure why. Anyone have a rough idea of what they're worth? I guess I'm interested in selling if it's worth shipping them, etc. I think LJ-24 is first in line, but I haven't seen an actual offer from anyone yet. Anyone interested can PM me and let me know what they're worth to you.

Thanks, Dan.

- I have had several ask about selling the 16s. I had planned to keep them, but not really sure why. Anyone have a rough idea of what they're worth? I guess I'm interested in selling if it's worth shipping them, etc. I think LJ-24 is first in line, but I haven't seen an actual offer from anyone yet. Anyone interested can PM me and let me know what they're worth to you.

Thanks, Dan.

I sold my 16s back in October 2009 for $425 shipped (Used FedEx Ground). Hope that helps.

Thanks, Dan.

Dan - They are worth about $10. LJ can find his own. Send them my way.

Seriously, you could use them for dedicated snow or offroad tires vs. standard freeway type tires, if you like swapping them out or having greater options. That is probably what I would do. Keep my Cooper STs for offroad and get a set of standard sized highway friendly tires to maximize the daily driving MPGs.

Just some thoughts... :popcorn:

Jonathan

I sold my 16s back in October 2009 for $425 shipped (Used FedEx Ground). Hope that helps.

That does help. Thank you. That definitely makes it more interesting to me :D

I also thought about the two wheel sets plan, but I just know that I will never do that. I don't want to spend another $1000 on tires (I could spend that for headers/shocks, etc). Plus, it's a hassle storing them for me and swapping is not terrriby practical either. If I get a DECENT offer, I'll sell them- sorry Jonathon.

I had up to 4 sets of wheels at one point, two 16s n two 18s. I want a set of 16s back "just incase" i get the urge.

Can we get a picture of your truck from the front or rear? I'd like to see how your wheels/tires sit with the spacers in relation to the fenders. Nice looking truck mang!

Thank you for the compliments. I really like the look a lot. It updates the look of the whole vehicle IMO. It doesn't look like a 10 year old vehicle.
- Center caps- I have 1.5" wheel spacers- center caps just popped right on :grinpimp:
- Yes, my old tires were 285/75/16 BFGs. They were great. As I posted, I was planning to get another set for the 18s, but it didn't work out. Hard to compare to the stock setup. I didn't run the stock setup for very long, and it's been a while. I think they are louder and little heavier than stock, but not bad at all. Definitely NOT "crazy noisy". Everything has it's advantages and disadvantages right?
- The Duratracs- I too have a balance issue. I think I'll go over my lunch hour today and have it looked at. I think it's the front passenger side. We'll see. FWIW, I also had a balance issue with the BFGs when they were mounted. Got it fixed and they were great after that. I read many reviews on the Duratracs before purchase. They sound great on snow/ice, and they look like they will be great for the several times a year I get off pavement, and they're not loud at all (at leats not yet). I'll definitely update after a winter of driving on them.

Thanks, Dan.

since I was first in line, I pm'ed you with my offer:D

While I am more in the 16" wheel camp, I do like the way your rig looks with the 18" and the GY tires!

Can we get a picture of your truck from the front or rear? I'd like to see how your wheels/tires sit with the spacers in relation to the fenders. Nice looking truck mang!

I'm also curious how the front wheels look with your 1.5" spacers. Can I ask why you're using them? Basically, do they serve any function besides making the Tundra centercaps fit without modifications? :confused:

Sweet - going that route (Duratrac) as well

Here's the only front angle pic I have right now. It doesn't really show it too well, but you can kind of see it. I have the wheel spacers basically to widen the stance, give it a little stability that is lost with a lift. Also, I like the look of the wider stance with the larger than stock tires. I can get better pics if anyone would care to see them.
IMG_4262.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom