Spare tire removal-weird jack receiver? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally had some time to inspect the new 03 and catch up on some odds and ends. Needed to drop the spare and inspect, adjust parking brake, etc. I input jack crank rod to lower spare. Rod won't engage. I reach in and find that the female receiver for the crank is not normal. There is a plastic cone shaped flange with some kind of bolt in the center. I cut out the plastic flange. I reach through tire from underneath, and hand crank to remove my spare.

Pix below. Suffice to say, I need to get whatever kind of bolt assembly this is, off of this unit. It is loose, and appears to be some weird lock nut, and useless to me. What is this and why do I have it? It prevents the jack rod from planting into the female channel so the flange can be cranked. No clue how previous owner has a rig and isn't concerned with basic safety, i.e. a working spare. FYI, my 99 was right next to the 03 in the driveway, and I cross refenced to make sure I wasn't losing my mind.

Tell me what i'm missing, please!
051.jpg
053.jpg

Sure looks a lot like a locking lug nut head. Doesn't look like the lug nut one would fit however, not another one kicking around somewhere in rig?

Well, it works-at least it slowed me for a few minutes. Of course there is no key, nor was there for the fine custom rims. Something else to waste some time and money on to get my rig back to normal. Thanks previous owner!

thats how mine is, I only found out the lexus ones and toyota ones are different when macneill and I were swapping spares (his LC spare for my LX spare...dont ask). I had my kit out and said "I'll just use mine", WRONG. I like the LC one with the simple hook setup like how the jack works. Keyed? If someones going to steal my spare they'll do it either way, and give themselves a hernia while doing it.

The lock is optional. My LX had the basic hook style,

brings back memories for me lol some time back after a tailgating eagles game i got a flat tire on the way home. out of 8 grown men 6 of which were tipsy; it took us 1 and 1/2 hour to figure out how to get the tire down with that crazy device. I have a lexus so it has some sort of lock type lug thing which goes into that slot. similar to locking lug nuts for the tire. i guess you would have to get both parts the cone thing and then a new hex type bar that goes into it.

He he. That is funny. Porter you should RTFM, before you start hacking parts off your truck! :)

Did you search the truck for the wheel rim and spare keys, thoroughly? There are lots of little pockets in the Lexus, and the previous owner would have been an idiot not to have them in the vehicle.

I was able to use the Lexus arrangement, but it was a bit fiddly. Fortunately my spares now sit on the rear bumper, so I don't have to worry about it.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: You still have the cable type spare hanger. Here in Australia those were all recalled and replaced with a chain hanger, as there had been a few cases of cables breaking when the spare hit something, or because it came loose, causing crashes or serious damage under the rear of the vehicle. There may be a recall still active in North Carolina as well. Perhaps you could get a new cable hanger, and have the basic hook type connector installed at the same time.

I had the sales guy contact previous owner. PO has no clue about the spare lock, and tells me that lug key is in the tire kit. Well, it's not. I just ordered a new cable reel, and a new spare lock and key. If this key fits my current lock, then I don't need the new reel I hope.

How the previous owner knows nothing about his spare lock is unbelievable. He sounds unworthy of owning a Landcruiser. This rig is lucky I found it, as I'll be a faithful
caretaker! It is in good shape fortunately- I'm doing all pm this weekend, then to the shop for timing belt service. Can't wait to get the new Bilsteins on-now I realize how great my 99 rides in comparison.

Then on to some mods on the 99. Unfortunately, my wife is getting clingy on the 99, she's not too hot on the new dash with the touch screen controls. Maybe the 03 will get the sliders!

Have you searched all over for the key? It is really small. Less than 1/2" thick and 2" long. If it is stuck inside one of the small pockets in the toolkit it is not easy to discover.

fwiw:
My 2001(mfg2000) came from factory with the spare wheel key-crank, and two keys + a number tag for ordering extras.
My 2004 came without a toolkit, but with one spare wheel key in one of the compatments; - the key-thingy on the spare winch was removed though, so now the jack-hook fits. BTW, the key on the 2000 is different from the one on the 2004.

Have you searched all over for the key? It is really small. Less than 1/2" thick and 2" long. If it is stuck inside one of the small pockets in the toolkit it is not easy to discover.

fwiw:
My 2001(mfg2000) came from factory with the spare wheel key-crank, and two keys + a number tag for ordering extras.
My 2004 came without a toolkit, but with one spare wheel key in one of the compatments; - the key-thingy on the spare winch was removed though, so now the jack-hook fits. BTW, the key on the 2000 is different from the one on the 2004.

ditto. Mine (purchased new) were both in the glove box.
When i get my tyre rotation done, i leave it on the passenger seat and the guys at Outback 4WD know what to do.
cheers
peter

I am wanting to remove the spare tire lock mechanism. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

I am wanting to remove the spare tire lock mechanism. Anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

There are 4 bolts attaching it to the brace. Remove them, and your spare tire and lock mechanism come free.
If your hands are small enough I believe you can fit a ratchet through the wheel spokes.

My spare tire's lock key-hole was rusted so my key was useless. The stealership told me the only way to free the tire was to cut the cable, then buy another lock which would've cost me 'bout 200 incl. labor. I laughed at him.

I was able to free the spare by unbolting 6 bolts which the brace attaches to the frame with and voila! I didn't see the 4 bolts above the the tire/brace/lock until the spare was out from underneath.
IMG00878-20100517-1728.jpg

Went to the Dealer in Idaho Falls, they had a master set and mine fits key #xx8. Had them lower spare. Dealer could not figure out how to remove only the lock mechanism... Anyone know how to take off the cone lock mechanism without taking off the whole thing off using the 4 bolts? Thanks.

taking the whole support out is pretty easy. Might make it easier by just pulling it down to inspect how it's mounted.

A guy in the parts department of the dealership, where I picked up my spare key, said to just "whack it with a hammer to knock it off"...

Tried wacking... No luck! I tried to call another Toy dealer and asked if they knew... No luck...

From Lexus' site:

Spare tire lock

The spare tire lock, featuring an exclusive key pattern, helps keep the full-size spare (wheel and tire) safe from thieves. The lock permanently attaches to the crank-down mechanism. Insert key on the OE crank-down tool to lower spare.

spare_tire_lock_1.jpg

It looks like there are teeth around that ring that hold it into the cup. It's probably installed by screwing it in until something shears and it can't be backed out. So, smacking it hammer may knock it out. Or may bend the winch.

I know this post is a few years old...if anyone is still following, I have the same security key and reciever on the spare spool on my 05LC. I would replace it asap if you dont reguarly service the unit. The reciever can become fouled with sand, salt and debris which can make it 100% inoperable unless you climb underneath and are able to turn the unit by hand. Bad, bad design IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom