Logan's Run 2016 - Sept 15-18 2016 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We've talked about moving LR in the past but the main draw of the group camp is the showers and real toilets.
Maybe next year cap the number of vehicles in the campground (all vehicles not just wheeling ones) and tents and then if more is needed then there are other individual campgrounds around the park that late registrants, once the cap is reached, could rent on their own.

Another option is to cap the number of trucks for the Group Camp, then all others will have to find other spaces to camp. There is plenty of room out in the forest, inconvenient, but not impossible.
I think I prefer this idea. For me the thing that makes this event so special is the family feel of the place. I feel safe that my kids can run with other kids and I don't have to worry too much.

Cap the event for "cruiser" vehicles (tow rigs and extra cars need to move after drop off) and close registration by Sunday a week prior to the event. I think the showers, restrooms, and deep in the forest contribute a great deal to the atmosphere of the event. Closing registration 5 days in advance will help with logistics, planning, and communicating to those attending. I have a few other thoughts to add, but I will keep those in case a plus/delta evaluation thread is created.

It seems like you guys need to figure out what your vision is for this event. Do you want it to grow into one of the biggest land cruiser events on the east coast or do you want it to maintain the family feel? You will be able to grow beyond the capacity of the basin lake campground, but not much--only a few folks will be ok with camping off by themselves. If you change venues, you may be able to accommodate everybody--it just depends on how much effort you want to put into it. My vote (not that it matters) is too keep it at badin lake and let the attendance ebb and flow however it turns out.

My opinion. Not that it means much. I hate having the law riding through camp. Not that it's ever been a problem but I hate having to worry about it. I'm not a fan of splitting up. GSMTR had this problem and it caused a huge rift because what will eventually happen is people wont pay if they feel they are not part of the big group. Eventually this is going to happen anyway as this event will get bigger whether you like it or not. ONSC has a great BOD and an awesome staff that gets stuff done. People flock to events where things are done right. As far as showers. If the other place has water it's pretty cheap to set up a few showers for people. Bathrooms. Let's be honest there is nothing nice about the ones at the campground. A portapoty might be just as good. The potential new place is right across from the store where there is gas, ice and food. A huge plus in my book. As well the new place has a covered area. Eventually your luck is going to run out and it will rain. A big rain during the raffle is going to suck. The new place also allows you an area to do some driving events/games that you cant do over in the park.

I say if you want to grow the event put it where everyone can be together.

Last edited:
Good points above, Marshall, especially regarding shelter and the raffle.

I will add my .02. I enjoyed being able to take a shower in the mornings and use a flush toilet. The facilities at the group camp may not be up to the standards of home but they are more than sufficient. I like the woods at the group camp. The shade is nice. We slept in hammocks. It's hard to do that in a grass field. Also the loop configuration of the campground is a more efficient use of space than arranging everybody in a straight line in an open field (easier to walk from one side to the other).

Question...Is there a limit to the number of people allowed in the group camp? Nobody ever camps in the large center field. If that area were used for camping (and not just parking) we could pack in at least another 20-25 trucks. Similarly, we can press deeper into the wooded areas if needed in order to fit more folks. There is a lot of unused real estate out there. You just have to venture a few steps beyond the tent pads to find it.

A word of caution....

I was Pres and event director for an RC flying club when I lived in PA. We started a helicopter event and it just EXPLODED in scale in a 3 year period. We were overwhelmed by attendance. As we are already seeing, not only is there a huge amount of leg work up front but it becomes a full time job for at least one day for several club members.

How big is too big and other than having bragging rights for the biggest event, what are the benefits of getting larger than group camp can comfortably hold? We are already to a point where we are talking about name tags just so we know who fellow club members are.

I would like to be first in line to purchase the practically new "old" pig cooker when we decide we need a bigger one to feed the largest LC event on the East Coast.

I would tend to agree with Trollhole, lets be inclusive. I gladly give up having all the "amenities" for having more people experience the event and camaraderie. Nothing wrong with setting up field showers, self sufficient. Even though I never met Logan Monk, the fact that all you guys get together to celebrate his life and passion means a lot. Change is good, change keeps us all fresh.
As for the rain, the reason I put up my giant white tent was in case of rain. I can bring it every year, give some extra shade or dry spot for meeting/raffling/socializing....

But also aware of parents with little ones who may have different needs. And John may need to cook 2 pigs!

as I ponder the growth of the meet, I realize how blessed we are each year. yet I wonder at what point the family feel might be ruined by some bad apples. I believe the presence of Logan plays a role here as it gets better each year. While I personally would not want to be exclusive, I do have concerns. be well my friends, see you soon

I love the Badin Lake Campground. It provides lots of shade and the trees keep the noise down. As LR gets bigger each year, Badin Lake CG won't be a sustainable location.

Agree that the current campground is about as perfect as it gets. SHADE is a big deal that time of year. Showers! Decent toylets <--- see what I did there? ,and water!

Next step? Cap the size of the event FOR CAMPERS but anyone interested in day trips can join in.

I own my own heated tent shower. Only problem is water. I only have what my tank holds. I like the fact that i dont have to bring any of it to Logans Run due to the facilities!

no Onur, you are not a bad apple, just maybe not as sweet as some....lol
what I an talking about is how big can a group get before some conflicts start
we have been blessed so far.

is it possible to park trucks with trailers at the outpost for the entire weekend? that may save some space.

I recently ordered these 2 things, will test them soon. Overland Expo has had in past a company that makes heated camp showers do a "Demo" and setup a couple of tents with showers. Not sure how they set it all up, or if they guarantee sales from the event, but they are a welcome "exhibit"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WWNJVF8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FDHO0PA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Izzy, here is another solution for water 5 gallons

full

I got it! Let's rent the Biltmore like the Overland Expo. How expensive could it be? Will have to class up the joint, but why not? They have cable.

Joking aside, are the official pics up anywhere yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom