Hi moving to Tx,can I bring my Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

joekatana

GOLD Star
Threads
Hi everybody,my name is Joeri originaly I am from Belgium but I was Living and Wheeling the last 3 years in Panama Central America.I bought a one owner BJ as soon as I arrived there and modified it completely.The question now is will I be able to make this BJ streetlegal in Tx.I will be living somewhere around Plano because my wife will be working there.

Are there different titles that I can chose from or not?Since the BJ is from 1977 and a diesel I guess there will be no smog test ,what other test will there be done to my BJ and wich mods are allowed in TX

My BJ

-1HDT engine:clap:
-H151 trans
-Coil springs
-HJ61 FF axles with cable lockers 4.88 and 4Wheel disc brake:steer:
-Exo roll cage
-9.00X16(37")Fedima competition tyres
-And many more little things

The Bad
-C.A. car so no heating system
-windshield water sprayers are gone
-NO E-brake

Now what is illegal and what do I need to fix or put on the BJ extra?

I know this is not the ideal DD but it will be only for a few months untill I get settled down and buy me a 80,Tacoma or something similar to use as a DD.

Let's start with these questions and I will ask many more in the future,thanks for responding:cheers:

Here some pics of the BJ when I bought it

bj4077116.jpg

bj4077139.jpg

bj4077126.jpg

See ya

Here are some more pics along the way;)

First "trail" ride

liefdadigheidone009.jpg

Poser pic:eek:

cerroazul076.jpg

BJ on steroids:lol:

111007-800.jpg

sora016-800.jpg

alles058-800.jpg

To be continued;)

Texican can outline what you need for the safety inspection.
Bring it with you, BJ's with a 1HT motor is the best.

Happy Trails! N

Thanxs guys

So there is no problem with the coil conversion,use of wheel spacers,Exo rollcage and some other stuff,because in Europe all these things are ILLEGAL;-(

About the brake inspection is this visual or is it a new rolling road inspection like we have in Belgium?

BTW they fail us for more then 3% difference inbetween left and right(wich is almost impossible to beat in any old car)

I was already checking the DMV sites but found the information not usefull there.

Some pics of how the BJ looks now

BJHILUXSALE033.jpg

BJHILUXSALE030.jpg

BJHILUXSALE041.jpg

BJHILUXSALE036-1.jpg

BJHILUXSALE038.jpg

BJHILUXSALE029.jpg

BJHILUXSALE047.jpg

BJHILUXSALE053.jpg

My Hilux and the BJ:cheers:

BJHILUXSALE026-1.jpg

Grts
Joeri

PS Everything is Home made,no expensive kits where involved in this build ;)

Very nice! We have meetings on the second Thursday of the month at Papas BBQ on Norhtwest Hwy in Dallas. Bring it out.

As far as I can see, the Emergency brake would be the only concern. Texas is pretty easy to get registered and inspected.

Very nice! We have meetings on the second Thursday of the month at Papas BBQ on Norhtwest Hwy in Dallas. Bring it out.

As far as I can see, the Emergency brake would be the only concern. Texas is pretty easy to get registered and inspected.

The E-brake is an easy fix,or I can put the original drums back on or use some aftermarket system if they allow this.

I will definetly join you guys on thursdays:cheers:,see ya there.

Cool rig! The safety inspection is easy enough. I think most places will take it for a quick spin to check the brakes.
Here's the Collin County tax assessor's page that goes through what paperwork you'll need to get a texas title.
Collin County Tax Assessor and Collector: Vehicle Registration

Thxs Jason

I see you live in Mckinney,do you like it there?

Also I am looking to buy a house in in a town around Plano(max 45min drive)and I prefer living in a small town .

I prefer to buy an older house(fix upper is ok) with a garage or workshop with room for a few cars and NO Home Owners Assocation.Can you name a few neighbourhoods where I should look.

Thanks

Joeri

Joeri,

If you are looking for a place without the typical restrictions, then look outside the suburbs... Try around Anna, Mellisa (not in these cities, but near them), or a little farther up highway 75 (we call it Central Expressway) near Howe...

Another area to consider that is not too far out is around Princeton and Farmersville area... these are about 15 miles east of McKinney... country living, no housing restrictions, and there is a lot to choose from in the fixer-up market...

Joeri,

If you are looking for a place without the typical restrictions, then look outside the suburbs... Try around Anna, Mellisa (not in these cities, but near them), or a little farther up highway 75 (we call it Central Expressway) near Howe...

Another area to consider that is not too far out is around Princeton and Farmersville area... these are about 15 miles east of McKinney... country living, no housing restrictions, and there is a lot to choose from in the fixer-up market...

Cool thanks.Also an important deal breaker/maker will be the city taxes,since we don't have kids (yet) I do not have to live close to good schools.I learned so far that city's with good schools use often a higher tax rate.

East side of Plano would be good, east of hwy 75. MIke

Thanxs guys

So there is no problem with the coil conversion,use of wheel spacers,Exo rollcage and some other stuff,because in Europe all these things are ILLEGAL;-(

About the brake inspection is this visual or is it a new rolling road inspection like we have in Belgium?

BTW they fail us for more then 3% difference inbetween left and right(wich is almost impossible to beat in any old car)

I was already checking the DMV sites but found the information not usefull there.

All legal here. I actually sometimes wish they would fail some vehicles that have been hacked together (see the ghetto fab hack job thread on pirate in the general discussion area for a long list of "legal" and some street driven vehicles. not all but far to many, nothing in that thread should be really even moving on its own power...)

brake inspection is they accelerate the vehicle to i think 15-20 mph then hit the brakes and it has to stop in X distance. the e brake just has to hold the vehicle in place.

horn, wipers (in good condition), high and low beams, brake lights turn signals at all 4 corners, and at least 1 rear facing mirror able to see 500 feet back and at least 1 license plate bulb making it visible from some distance that you couldn't even read it anyhow. but as long as a bulb is there and is working it will pass unless very dim.

All legal here. I actually sometimes wish they would fail some vehicles that have been hacked together (see the ghetto fab hack job thread on pirate in the general discussion area for a long list of "legal" and some street driven vehicles. not all but far to many, nothing in that thread should be really even moving on its own power...)

brake inspection is they accelerate the vehicle to i think 15-20 mph then hit the brakes and it has to stop in X distance. the e brake just has to hold the vehicle in place.

horn, wipers (in good condition), high and low beams, brake lights turn signals at all 4 corners, and at least 1 rear facing mirror able to see 500 feet back and at least 1 license plate bulb making it visible from some distance that you couldn't even read it anyhow. but as long as a bulb is there and is working it will pass unless very dim.

Thanks CruisinFJ60,for the moment the BJ is for sale.Depending on if it's getting sold or not I will have to make a decision.I think another cool thing to do is to just bring the drivetrain with me and swap it in a 60 or 80:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom