Buy a torque wrench......a good one... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Threads
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
......and learn how to use it!

I am tired of reading threads that result from dealing with improperly torqued fasteners.........:mad: :doh: In addition, get a manual or take the time to find out what the proper torque values are for the fasteners associated with the job you are doing.

I have followed this advice for over 30 years and the ONLY time I have ever had a subsequent problem was the one time I forgot to torque the lug nuts on the RH rear wheel of the 80 shortly after I did a tire rotation. I was driving down the street when I heard a "thunk" and I pulled over to discover a missing lug nut and 5 loose ones....:doh: :doh: :doh:

Buy or borrow a good torque wrench, learn how to use it, determine the proper torque settings, double-check yourself and sleep a lot more soundly.

D-

This is one of the little gem's that always gets over looked IMHO I hate to go to the tire store for a bal/rotation and see then use an impact on the wheel lug's.....
I had the last tire store who rotated the 40's wheel (cough)big-o(cough) use an impact to put on the lug's, I was watching through the window and was wondering why all of a sudden 4-5 other people went over to see something, They managed to not only snap one but TWO studs.....
It wont take more that 2 min. tops to tourque a set of lug nuts, Not to mention 100ftlbs on a nice piece of aluminum is just the ticket, The tighter the better right! Right?...........

ALways remember to reset the torque wrench to 0 when storing it or that expensive wrench will be useless because the torque values will not be accurate. Once the spring inside it streches, you must recalibrate it.

So Dan or anyone, Would you let me know whats good brand for torque wrench our 80 that i can use the most.Not just torque the wheel. Many thanks -J

Vitesse_6 said:
This is one of the little gem's that always gets over looked IMHO I hate to go to the tire store for a bal/rotation and see then use an impact on the wheel lug's.

They can use impact wrenches as long as they have torque sticks for the correct torque needed.

I bought a torque wrench from Autozone for $20. It's not calibrated high enough for the lug nuts, but it worked for everything else on the front axle rebuild job.

Originally posted by JerryLX450
So Dan or anyone, Would you let me know whats good brand for torque wrench our 80 that i can use the most.Not just torque the wheel. Many thanks -J/QUOTE]

Craftsman torque wrench is sufficient enough to torque the lugnuts. Get the one that is up to 150 ft. lbs.

LandyLover said:
ALways remember to reset the torque wrench to 0 when storing it or that expensive wrench will be useless because the torque values will not be accurate. Once the spring inside it streches, you must recalibrate it.

Correct for a "click-type" wrench. Beam wrenches take care of themselves.

JerryLX450 said:
So Dan or anyone, Would you let me know whats good brand for torque wrench our 80 that i can use the most.Not just torque the wheel. Many thanks -J

I have two. One is a 3/8 drive Snap-on with a flex head and the other is a 1/2 inch drive Mac witrh a flex head. Both are clickers. I have had both of them for over 25 years and if memory serves they were in the 100 dollar range back then.

kbellve said:
They can use impact wrenches as long as they have torque sticks for the correct torque needed.

That is better than nothing but it is not using a torque wrench. The impact still pounds on the fastener, I do not like that.

250# wrenches are common and I have one. I had to look all over creation for a 600# unit when I did my oil and crank seals to get the 305#. Any tricks for that one????

I borrowed one from a mechanic friend.

cruiserdan said:
That is better than nothing but it is not using a torque wrench. The impact still pounds on the fastener, I do not like that.

Manufacturers quote a 5% error in torque using torque sticks. GM tested them at 2% error. Not too bad. Unless you get your torque wrench recalibrated yearly, a torque stick is an acceptable method.

I'm sure that is the case but I still do not like the idea of pounding a fastener to install it, even if it is "controlled" or "buffered" pounding.

This is a personal preference, nothing more. I will only use an impact when I absolutely have to because I do not like the stress it puts on the fastener.

psfpilot said:
I bought a torque wrench from Autozone for $20. It's not calibrated high enough for the lug nuts, but it worked for everything else on the front axle rebuild job.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but if you couldn't get up the the 76 pounds for the lug nuts, how did you get up to the 90-odd pounds needed for the caliper bolts?

Same here Cdan. Borrowed a 600# wrench from a friend that works on heavy equipment.

so I guess my Harbor Freight TW does not qualify as a good one :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom