Yokohama Geolandar I/T Thoughts/Review(-ish) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my first impressions of the new tires. Not enough miles for an actual review, so I'll post back later this winter.
With the onset of winter and having tires of unknown background(Sport King AT) on the cruiser from the recent purchase, I kept going back and forth between A/T's w/ chains for emergencies or a dedicated snow tire. After reading this thread, I decided on a winter tire. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...-impressed-bridgestones-new-blizzak-dmv1.html

Narrow vs. Wide tire discussion aside, I wanted a tire that was going to help winter traction all the time, not just when I had chains on. Most of my driving is on snowpacked roads; no snow wheeling for me and not too much unpacked snow on the roads either.

The yoko's were one of two tires I could get in a 285/75/16
Yokohama Tires ? Geolandar I/T G072 Winter Snow & Ice SUV Truck

Size: Unmounted tires measured at 32.5". Mounted with the weight of the cruiser on it its about 31.75 or so(~33 psi)

Cost: $760 mounted and balanced from discount tire direct.

Tread: Tread width is 9.5", and 9/16" deep. Tread depth varied significantly for the larger 75 aspect ration tires. Many other sizes came with less than 7/16"

Miles on tires so far: 300

Noise: No iphone to measure sound from inside, but they are noticeably quieter than the old AT's.

Rubber: Being a winter tire the durometer of the rubber is significantly softer than my previous A/T tires. This was determined with a very scientific "squeeze a tread block" test :D I did happen to see a truck with DMZ3's in the Steamboat ski area parking lot over the holiday. They seemed to be a bit softer than the Yoko's.

Initial Thoughts:

• Road noise is minimal and ride is good.
  • Sidewalls seem pretty thin....again no scientific measurement, just a comparison to 2 other tires in the garage(both off brands) but I think I'd be hesitant to run these where the sidewalls would see much punishment.
  • Soft rubber and somewhat wide lug spacing seems to grab gravel and rocks and send them into the wheel wells more than the AT's.
  • Very impressed with start/stop characteristics of the tire. Cornering is not quite as solid, but then again I was cornering a bit ...fast... trying to test them out.
  • Due to the heavy cruiser and soft rubber I expect they will wear pretty quickly, but I'll post back once I have a decent amount of miles on them.
  • Very happy with the decision to go with a dedicated winter tire. Like Doug said in a previous post, a single fender-bender is likely to surpass the cost of these tires. So hopefully winter tires + safe driving will help avoid an accident and get me to the ski areas.
Hope this helps, happy new year and safe winter driving everyone!

Corey
DSCF2387.jpg
DSCF2390.jpg

I'll be interested in your long term thoughts :)

I ran dedicated snow tires on my Durango back when and it was a night and day difference. But comparing the snow capability of a Durango and an 80/LX is...well there is no comparison

Glad to see you were able to get those running boards mounted...wish I had been able to find the front parts though 'cuz it looks sort of naked without them :hillbilly: - get those sliders soon!

WOW ! look at all that siping! I am sure the rubber hardness matters, but I bet the thorough siping is the biggest contributor.

I had this tire (geolandar I/T G072) on the 100 for four winter seasons, size 275/70R16 (standard 31"). Best unstudded winter tire I ever had, on any vehicle. 4 years is kind of a maximum for winter tires before the rubber starts getting too hard.
Now I'm looking for a new set, but the current version of the I/T is slightly different, called I/T-S G073. Don't know if it is as good.
One of the greatest features of the I/T G072 was the sideways grip, in that it didn't loose the grip suddenly/abrubtly when cornering too fast. It started to slowly "step" sideways, in a very controlled way. Some other tires normally just holds on firmly through the curve until suddenly - swoosh out.

Bump into the future... I'm looking for a dedicated winter in 315/75/16, and these appear to be the only ones I can find. Most if not all stores show as out of stock (old model). Does anyone know if there's a replacement equivalent?

AT w/ 3-peak mtn snowflake is my alternative in this size... but would prefer a true winter as I have two sets of rims and can switch for the season change.

thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom