Yet another suspension question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I DID search and find a LOAD of discussion about OME suspensions, but I couldn't really reach any conclusion--in fact--I'm a more uncertain now than before.

Scenario:

'93 FZJ80, stock suspension, 285 tires.
Next time I buy tires (a year or so) I'll get some 305 BFG ATs.

(Someday) I'll replace stock bumpers with SLEE's (w/spare tire rack) or something like them.

This Cruiser is my daily driver, but I take it on easy to moderate trails several times a year. No big expeditions, but I usually load 'er up with all the stuff required for family camping.

I don't want to get crazy with the lift, and I don't want to create any handling/steering issues.

I'd like to add a bit o' lift, to improve offroad performance (and looks) and hopefully onroad as well (less body roll).

What OME lift kit (or specific components) do you folks recommend? Medium? Heavy Duty? I've read a lot of contradicting opinions on Med vs. HD.

Thanks for any input.

Hayes

It has been discussed that the OME heavy is the same spring rate as the medium just a little longer. Therefore you should get the same ride quality out of both. I love my OME setup. I have heavy fronts and med rear. With my ARB bumper(no winch yet) there is just a slight rake from back to front. Castor bushings were enough to bring the castor back into spec. I thought about J springs but backed away because of the heavier spring rate. I drove for 2 weeks before the castor kit and handling was decent. The truck felt "darty" at 70 mph on the interstate especially when going through large sweeping turns. Hope this helps.

mooker82 said:
It has been discussed that the OME heavy is the same spring rate as the medium just a little longer. Therefore you should get the same ride quality out of both.

This is true for the OME front springs. The OME HD rear springs are a higher rate. 220 lbf/in versus 250 lbf/in. So ride quality may suffer. Shock tuning has a lot to do with ride quality also (e.g. OME vs. Bilstein)

Hayes,

With front and rear bumpers, plus camping gear you should go with OME HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom