Yet another starting problem... sorta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a starting problem, er, I mean, "characteristic"... I wonder what you guys think. It doesn't really bother me, but...

When I start the truck after a cool night (<45F or so) it starts right up with no smoke, but if I just let it sit there without giving it gas, after about 10 full seconds of a nice idle it'll start to stumble a bit and let out some puffs of smoke (white/grey).

If I give it some gas before it starts to stumble, just rev it up a bit a few times, it won't stumble or smoke.

If I wait too long and its already started to stumble, and THEN try to drive away, it'll shake and refuse to accelerate for about 20 feet and then the smoke will stop and it behaves normally.

My starting procedure in the mornings usually involves pulling the hand throttle out two clicks and then a loong glow (~25 seconds). I glow this long because it starts best after a nice glow, and I actually pay attention to that silly indicator "coil" and it usually takes that long to become visible.

Any ideas? Condition of fuel filter is unknown. Same with valve clearance. Glow plugs are fine, and get proper voltage. Battery/starter is good, really throws it over.

From your discription I would say the afterglow is too short.
What happens if, after starting, you apply some glow?
And you realy should wait starting until the glowindicator is 'glowing'. Even with good glowplugs 25 sec's at lower temps is not exceptional.

Manual glow system, no afterglow. By manual glow, I mean its on my ignition switch (not wilson switched), so i can't glow while its running.

I'm not that familiar with the 42 but I think your glow relay should keep the glowplugs hot for a few secs when you've started. But.....I could be wrong there.

Nope. The wiring diagrams are ambiguous so I even opened my relay to figure it out once and for all. Its just a simple momentary switch in the lock cylinder.

I could imagine it being a glow problem if it ran rough right when it started, but I can't explain why it runs great at startup only to stutter after 10 seconds...

Small air bubble developing somewhere in the fuel line (filter?) during standstil reaching the engine after 10 sec's?

And too small to realy disturb the engine when revved a bit but enough when idling?

I don't think you have any fault at all Amaurer.

In the cold weather, do what you're doing but just use the hand throttle to keep it idling faster till it warms up (so it the engine is less likely to miss as a result of the cold cylinder temperatures).

:cheers:

Don't touch/fix anything!

I have a similar behaviour to this in cold weather/high altitude starts. However it seems to have gotten worse recently, and now it sometimes even stalls after a few seconds and i have to start it again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom