Yet another FLAT TOW research project! Please help, if you can. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mtc

Threads
Greetings! Old retired guy here with a '07 6M fairly modified FJC.

After pulling our Airstream with the FJ (many said it wasn't a good idea) sucessfully from Florida to Alaska where we were campground host at the Mendenhall Lake Campground (Yes - the TRD Supercharger was a tremendous help) my lovely bride and I now are full-timers. We love our FJ and believe anything is doable if done well - this applies to towing behind our Class A.

I have done a thourogh search and reasearch on this and many other forums. What I have found is the FJ can indeed be flat towed. The most logical (TCase in N + 6M in N) will damage the TCase. 77FJ40-07FJC's experience demonstrates the FJ TCase needs to be in H to unlock the front Hubs. This makes sense why Toyota lists the FJ as a NO TOW because Public Relations would suffer with all the damaged geartrains if us old-timers simply used the TC and 6M in Neutral. I get that.

I'm looking for some updated and new information on towing this incredible piece of HINO craftsmanship. NOTE: Not everyone knows that the FJC was NOT built by Toyota as are the rest of their models but by the Japaneese heavy truck company HINO, a Toyota subsidiary. HINO is much like MACK, or PETE when it comes to truck construction. That's why I'm confident that the FJ can indeed handle the rigors of flat towing.

I have done a frame-off restoration of a '92 YJ and loved the Jeep platform. It's like a little tank. But I made the mistake of test driving a used '07 6M FJ - I've had her for three years now and after a few mods e.g. ICON, TRD SC, Hutchinson's, DeMello, ExpOne, Warn, Total Chaos, Bushwacker, and more. . . I simply won't part with the beast. Also, the Jeep simply isn't like the FJ - apples to oranges. Both great vehicles, but not the same.

SO - does anyone know where I can get in touch with 77FJ40-07FJC to see how his travels have gone towing his 6M?

AND/OR - does anyone have any new experience towing their 6M?

Appreciate any help on this.

FJ and Bambi in the TX Snow at Rest Stop.jpg

FJ rear quarter view Dallas, Texas.jpg

Michael

Space Ship to Space Shuttle.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom